Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If you could pick one more signing......

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
before wednesday, what position and who would it be.

Must be realistic, no more than a couple of mill, and likely to fit into our wage structure.

Me:

Striker - Collins John

Comments

• Options
    I'd like David Nugent. Doubt he will leave Preston though.
  • Options
    You're looking around £6m for Nugent at the moment.
  • Options
    David Healey, apparently Everton have offered Leeds £500,000!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Agree with John would be good signing..

If not then Billy Sharp from Scunthorpe... worth a punt could have the same inpact John Stead did when he first joined blackburn.. also he would be a good player in CC if we are building for the future.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1880992,00.html
  • Options
    Scouting report: Billy Sharp, Scunthorpe United

Steve Claridge
    Tuesday September 26, 2006
    The Guardian

Sharp by name, sharp by nature. Billy Sharp really is one to keep a close eye on in the coming years, along with his partner Andrew Keogh. However, it was Sharp who I went to see at the weekend because of his fantastic goalscoring record, which includes one against Aston Villa in the Carling Cup last Tuesday.
    Drive and belief are major factors in Sharp's armoury, so I am reliably told by Peter Beagrie - who claims he had a major part in bringing both players to Scunthorpe. Unlike him to be modest. But Sharp also has a willingness to chase seemingly lost causes, especially when there's the smallest chance of a goal, and an alert and intelligent brain that means this single-minded young footballer has already acquired an excellent reputation.

Sharp was signed from Sheffield United for £100,000 last summer after a successful loan spell at Rushden & Diamonds, where he scored nine goals in 15 games. He certainly hit the ground running in his first full season in professional football, scoring 28 goals in 45 league games and making the League One PFA team of the year.
    He has two good feet and is decent in the air when the ball comes into the box. But for me, having watched him numerous times, most recently at Bournemouth on Saturday, there are two main attributes that will stand him in good stead in the coming years. The first is his positional play, which seems to find him in the centre of goal each time his partner has been asked to join in the move. The second is his constant movement and anticipation when the ball is played into the box either in first- or second-phase play, meaning that he is not just physically equipped to play but also has the right mental approach.

Sharp, who likes to play as close to the opposition's goal as possible, has a perfect foil in Keogh, who allows him to do just that. And with that extra yard of pace, Sharp is only too happy to play off the shoulder of the last defender, always ready to drive opposing players back to their own goal.

His hold-up play and availability in moves could improve but it's important to concentrate on what comes naturally in his game and in that he is not found lacking.

Playing up front on his own on Saturday clearly did not suit him - on previous occasions I have seen him play with a partner - but he worked hard in bursts and his willingness and strength were always asking questions of the Bournemouth defenders.

It is obvious he wants to get to the top but from my perspective there are too many things in his game that are still raw. A move at this stage would be too early. He is clearly happy in the environment he is in, because he has continued to hit rich form this season. Another 18 months of scoring goals for Scunthorpe will do him no harm at all. By then he will have learned far more about the game and gained the experience that will stand him in good stead for playing at a higher level.

Age 20

Born Sheffield

Position Forward

Height 5ft 9in

Weight 10st 10lbs

From Sheffield United (September 2005)

Bravery 8/10

Confidence 9/10

Awareness 7/10

Heading 7/10

Speed 8/10

Goalscoring 9/10

Likely value £750,000-£1m
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I agree Healy, thought they'd want more than 2million for him though.

Having said that Leed's still need money, especially if they go down.
  • Options
    Reckon we could get Sharp for 1.5m, and he'd be a great buy for next season if we were to go down. He's the top scorer this year in league 1 after scoring 28 last season so could surely make the step up and he's only 20.
  • Options
    We need someone good enough to walk into the team - centre-mid would be best, followed by a striker.
    But to buy anyone else now, surely we have to sell first?
  • Options
    Diarra on loan from Chelsea
  • Options
    Outside of your parrameters I know but I'd love to see a real surprise signing, something to lift the whole club, like Di Canio did a few years ago.

Alan Smith anyone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hasselbaink going to West Ham?
  • Options
    Collins John
    Mido.
    Diarra

Loans only

Sharp or Freddie Eastwood for less than £2m

We need more up front.
  • Options
    We really only have one striker at present. unless young Lisbie makes the grade, so one more signing would have to be a striker who can settle straight into the side, therefore I'd go for Collins John and try and offload MB and the Dutch bloke.

However I'm still concerned about the creative part of the midfield, it doesn't matter how good are our striker, if we don't get the ball to them they won't score. We have Ambrose, Reid, Thomas, Sam and the Danish chap, I'd keep Reid Sam and maybe Thomas, get rid of the other two and bring in someone we can run down the wing ( that's the bit by the touchline for younger readers) and send in a good centre - hang on there is always Lisbie.
  • Options
    It would have to be a striker. Marcus Bent, JFH and Lisbie are all cack which leaves us with just DB.

Collins John on is a good shout.
  • Options
    I would make a cheeky Bid to Liverpool to try & make the Carson signing permanent, by far our best player this season & not completely out of the realms of reality either. Rafa, has been looking at keepers all season may not actually fancy Carson. Plus Carson has already played in the Championship so less likely to wanna jump ship, seems grateful for the chance he has been given.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Good shout Ketman, I'd plump for Carson.

Think Eastwood would "make my day", as he's got that mixture of energy, cockiness and skill, and by bringing him in now with the Club at the foot of the table with nothing to lose that could be a potent mixture. He'd be less likely to flop.
  • Options
    I have to disagree about MB - I think he has been getting better and better under Pards - goals will come if we have a more solid back line and improve the midfield - eps when Dazza is back who, you may recall, went about 10 games without scoring in this team a month or so back.
  • Options
    Which proves my point that we need a better midfield to make the chances for the strikers.
  • Options
    Up front: David Healey or Freddie Eastwood.

Midfield: Steve Sidwell
  • Options
    Gary O'Connor ??? He might be crap for all i know but seems to be one of the few strikers around ready & willingh to move.........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Gary O'Connor ??? He might be crap for all i know but seems to be one of the few strikers around ready & willingh to move.........

Who ?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Scotland striker currently playing for locomotiv Moscow (I believe) and want to move as his missus is unimpressed with live in the former soviet capital

He's 24 this year, got a better than 1 in 3 ratio (if you count the average substitue appearance as 1/5 of a match then his ratio is better than 1 in 2.5).

They're his Hibs stats and include 3 appearances (1 goal) for Scotland.

From what I can find out about his time at Loco so far, he's averaging 1 in 2.3 (once you take into account minutes on pitch, he's only played 90 mins 5 times in 29 appearances, averaging 58 mins on pitch per match).
  • Options
    here here on the carson shout.
    and lee trundle is class in a bag! i think hes still eying up a move to the top flight.
  • Options
    Peter Begree is waxing lyrical about David Nugent on YOSS, he said we have spoken to him. Haven't seen him linked with anyone in this window. He reckons he is Prem class. Very quick apparently.
    I don't know too much about him.