Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This Ashley Cole business

I just can't bring myself to read all of this stuff he's been coming out with - I know it would likely leave me seething - but read something over a shoulder on the train the other day that really did wind me up.

I may be mis-quoting him, as I said I haven't actually read too much about it, but he seemed to be saying that he wanted £60k and Arsenal were "only" offering £55k and therefore it was clear that they didn't want him as they were treating him badly by haggling over a mere £5k.

Now, our Ashley may not be a stereotypically thick footballer for all I know, but anyone with half a brain would be able to work out that what they were actually haggling over, allegedly, was £5k PER WEEK - so actually £260k per year and well over a £1million when looked at over the terms of, say, a four year contract. Hardly a mere £5k is it Ashley?

Also lost on him appears to be the fact that what Arsenal WERE offering him was £55k per week , or £2.8million a year and well in excess of £11MILLION over a four year contract. Jeez, I wish my employer wanted rid of me so much that he offered me that!

And of course, this all neatly avoids the point that HE had been caught out seemingly tarting himself to Chelsea, despite being under contract to Arsenal at the time and, as far as I am aware, has made no apology about that fact.

To me this just sums up the attitude and arrogance of footballers today. Sure, I imagine that the way Ashley Cole has behaved is probably no different to many other players, and yeah, I know that most of us at some point will have gone for a job interview whilst still employed elsewhere. But these guys just don't seem to have any handle on reality anymore, and I can only see it getting worse until there must come a point where more and more people get so disaffected with it all that they just don't bother going football anymore - not least because of the price hikes to pay these ridiculous wages!

We may not think it's such a big issue and Charlton, and that's probably true - for now - but there but for the grace of God, and all that Jazz!!!

Am I talking out of my hat here, or is anyone else getting fed up with these morons being allowed to destrory the game we love???

(Oh and whilst I'm about it, if anyone wants to read the full decision on the Newcastle United VAT Tribunal case it's on http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKVAT/2006/V19718.html . It's a bit of a read, but worth it just to read the shambolic way they dealt with the regulations surrounding transfers - which apparently is "industry practice". The whole thing stinks to me - and what do they FA do about it?)

Comments

• Options
    been disgusted with the Cole.

The worst thing of all is he remains convinced that the club 'disrespected him' ??

Christ, just who does he think he is ?
  • Options
    I can hear where you're coming from, and yes it is ruining our game. However, money talks.....

ie, say I'm on £60k a year, and the firm down the road offers me £65k a year to do exactly the same job, what am I (and a lot of other people) likely to do?
  • Options
    Fair point Medders - but I still wouldn't go round rubbing peoples noses in it and at the same time making out that my old firm hadn't shown me enough respect. As AFKA says, just who does he think he is, the jumped up little to$$pot!
  • Options
    Depends how my old firm had treated me really, but yeah, they would of had to do something pretty extreme to me to get me to slag them off that much..... never know when you might be banging on their door asking for your old job back!
  • Options
    i'd question what sort of person you were if you were prepared to jump ship from the place that nutured, educated, developed and supported you, made you what you was, just for a small increase in income that will make no difference whatsoever to your quality of life.
  • Options
    absolute tosser. Hope he spends half his season on the bench... might teach him a lesson? unlikely.
  • Options
    I think it shows just how far players have become out of touch with the general population.
    His weeks wages are over twice the national average annual income for most people. I don't know if he is looking for sympathy for his plight or just an angle to sell his book.
    I don't begrudge anyone their pay packet but may be Cole would do well to remember; with out his footballing ability he'd be the same as me, worrying about mortgage payments, electric/gas bills, redundancy and finding suitable schools for your children.
  • Options
    The bit that amazed me was when he complained about the attitude of Arsenal towards him compared to that to Thierry Henry. He says that they seemed to make such a fuss over Henry but didn't afford him the same level of attention and he felt disrespected by it. Who the hell does he think he is?

He's a half-decent defender - Henry is a world-class striker who entertains millions! Even fans from other clubs who don't like Arsenal surely have to recognise the pulling power of Henry but Ashley Cole - don't make me laugh!
  • Options
    I agree with all of this - he has shown himself and footballers like him to be the lowest of the low. If I was a gooner I would feel thoroughly used! All this against the club he supposedly supported as a boy...
  • Options
    That's a good point HH - I forgot about the way he was trying to portray himself as a dyed in the wool Arsenal fan and how all of this was hurting him so much. You couldn't make it up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he would have been better advised to have taken the extra money Chelsea are offering and just shut up and kept schtumn. If pressed say he wanted a new challenge or something and leave it at that. If he wanted the football world to think that he's a greedy, short-term thinking footballer then he's doing it very eloquently.

I'm wondering just who will buy this book. He's hacked off Arsenal fans everywhere, and I can't see them wanting to fork out their £13.99s or whatever to make him even richer, Chelsea fans aren't going to be interested as he's been a Chelsea player for all of two weeks. I can't see that the football supporting public are going to rush out and buy copies. Outside of his family and friends, and fans of Girls Aloud just who will buy it? What demographic is it being aimed at?
  • Options
    I love the Theirry Henry thing. Cole is upset that the club bent over to keep Henry, but didn't show him the same attention. At this time Cole has signed a new deal and Henry haddn't, what exactly was he expecting?! He also has a moan about the fans signing Henrys name at the final of the champions league at the final whistle but didn't sing his name.

Now if you had to show a player how much they ment to you would you sing a for a superstar yet to sign a new contract 0r a left back who'd played 10 games that season, had been caught cosying up to London rivals and managed to get a game at the expence of Flamini in the CLF?!

I imagine that the publisher & Ashleys managament is getting a little concerned about the negativity coming from all quarters. Can't see many sponsors queueing up for Cole endorsements can you?!
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    i certainly wouldnt buy it if was an Arsenal fan... brain the size of a pea!!! i just read the article in the Times.

Staggering:

"One telephone call changed everything about how I viewed and felt about Arsenal,” Cole writes. “ ‘Ash! Are you listening?’ said a virtually hyperventilating Barnett. ‘I’m here in the office and David Dein is saying they aren’t going to give you £60k a week. They’ve agreed £55k and this is their best and final offer. Are you happy with that?’ I nearly swerved off the road. ‘He is taking the piss, Jonathan!’ I yelled down the phone. I was so incensed, I was trembling with anger. I couldn’t believe what I’d heard’. ”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8305-2355262,00.html
  • Options
    I have never rated him as a player - well over hyped by the press. Chris Powell was & is a much better defender, sure Cole can "get forward" but his delivery & distribution is dire.

Typical modern day player - all (so called) style & eff all substance.

I guess he will struggle at Chelski with his ego/attitude problems, Jose isn't one for Spice Boys.
  • Options
    you're being harsh mate, there is no doubting his ability at the top level.

its the attitude / ego you mention that may be a problem