Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Semedo and Racon set for contract talks

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
SLP

Comments

• I hope we don't renew them on the present terms, because we may kiss goodbye to promotion if we do. We should offer realistic terms if we remain in Div3 and better terms if we're promoted. Hopefully that will give Racon an incentive to continue his sparkling form.

Semedo played better last season than this, so I wouldn't expect it to effect his performances.
  • Really you think they'll stay If we don't offer good terms?
  • We can't afford to pay Championship wages in League 1. It is strongly rumoured that they are on about £6k/£8k per week. Whereas most of our squad are more likely to be on £2k per week.

We have to offer them something like £3k per week, increased to £6k per week if we are promoted.

In other words if we go up, they stay on the same money. If we stay down they will have to take a 50% pay cut.
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

In other words if we go up, they stay on the same money. If we stay down they will have to take a 50% pay cut.

In which case they will surely refuse to sign new contracts and will hold off until the end of the season, when they both become free agents and will have the option of re-signing at a decent salary if we are promoted, and moving on without encumberance if we are not?
  • Quite possibly, but what else should we do ? Offer them new contracts on Championship wages when we are in League 1 and can't afford top do so ?

i suppose we could, with a view to having to sell them in the summer if we are not promoted.
  • Shortest conversation ever

Parky - right guys we can offer a third of your current money. How does that grab you?
    Therry - bye then
    Jose - "What he said"
    Parky - oh bugger
  • I can't see why they would re-sign. Won't they just do a Sam and see if we go up?

If they do sign it'll show an impressive amount of loyalty to the club. I don't doubt that either would have offers from championship clubs in the summer.
  • But in reality - if Parky could convince these two to sign for a couple of years (at least) on a salary that fits into our pay structure then he deserves a medal
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]But in reality - if Parky could convince these two to sign for a couple of years (at least) on a salary that fits into our pay structure then he deserves a medal

It would be good to get them signed up now with a get out clause if we do not get into the championship for them, tied to a realistic valuation.
  • edited November 2010
    I suspect for players at low CCC / high L1 level , Charlton are still an attractive proposition.Sam did get a bigger club in Leeds and despite an excellant start I note he is now mainly on the bench.

If ( a very big word ) we go up we do have much more potential in my opinion than at least a third to a half of clubs in that league ie the likes of Doncaster and Scunny and even clubs like Millwall and Palace .

We saw this last close season that Doherty , Jackson and Reid all signed for us on much lower salaries than they were previously on.I suspect if promoted then this trio may get uplifts , what it demonstrates is that money is not everything and a player may stay to grow with the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hello Richard, although Racon started the season slowly if these two sign an extension on their contracts i will eat my hat.. In seriosuness, is it a case of "well the're contract is up in the summer we have to formally offer them a deal and turn them down then so be it." as you confirm Richard the fact that Doherty, Jackson and Reid all agreed deals on reduced wages, if they 2 do the same (albeit a promise of a a remarked increase if we got got promoted it will show what a loyal couple of players we have in them and that goes a big big way in team morale and spirit.. am i right in thinking waggy took a pay decrease last year as well (or wa that Solly). We maybe in Divison 3 (a you and i know it) but my god what a togetherness we have in our squad. If you have got a squad that wants to play for each other and work their socks off (for me thats half the battle/dressing room). It's been a long time where i looked at our players and pleased with their efforts..... if Racon and Semedo extend their contracs in January I will have a huge immense satisfaction and respect for them and their loyalty, I went to Peterborough away and saw Racon bow to the our fans after the game and acknowledged their support and seeing Semedo who is so so passionate and wears his heart on his sleeve). If onyl we had the money to pay for Martin's wages and keep him for a full season
  • I think the contracts will be generous as the club know that should we fail this season, both Semedo and Racon are sellable assets - it wouldn't make sense to let them go for nothing! If we go up we will need them to be competetive and replacements willcost more. They have us over a barrel in a way.
  • Eh, come in Jonny Fortune, those kids need a good seeing-to - share your experience with them, won't ya?

Exit two humbled players with a new contract...

End of story...
  • I am sure Parky and Murray are already aware of the wage issue, if they expect Racon and Semedo to take a wage cut then they must be ignorant to even think they would take a cut.

They will work something out to keep both parties happy.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rudders22[/cite]If onyl we had the money to pay for Martin's wages and keep him for a full season
    Martin is here for the full season. It's Fry who is only here until January.
  • Would love to see Semedo stay from the looks of it he loves playing for the club and loves hearing his name chanted by the fans
    Racon never felt he had the love of this club till the last couple of weeks till the fans have started chanting his name aswell
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc_1993[/cite]Would love to see Semedo stay from the looks of it he loves playing for the club and loves hearing his name chanted by the fans
    Racon never felt he had the love of this club till the last couple of weeks till the fans have started chanting his name aswell

So basically if we want certain players to stay we have to chant their name's so they can love us? lol
  • edited November 2010
    it seems that
    maybe if we boo them that might make them want to accept a cheaper deal from the club
  • It is an interesting negotiation form Murray, balancing the current state of football finances, the demands of the players and the resources of the club, not easy for him to know where to pitch his offers other than to say he won't bankrupt himself.
  • I can't see either of them signing on such reduced wages with incentives if we go up, but then again I was totally miffed when Reidy and Jackson signed so will happily wait and see if they can work miracles yet again.
  • Sponsored links:

• I suspect that, despite what their Agents tell them, they will both struggle to get when they are on now. Let's fact it they didn't come t us for a pay cut and they were both signed with a view to us being in the Premier League.

Seemed has been a consistant player but Racon has been positively average for much if his time with us.

The fact that Lloyd and Baily have failed to play many games confirms that there is a big jump from the third division to the Championship so I seriously doubt they will be offered £6k a week anywhere. If they don't sign anything now and have a serious injury they could well end up having a season like Fortune where they are not contracted (and being paid) to anyone.

Having said that, players are a touch arrogant and they do like their money.
  • Salaries are going down as unless you've been in the PL no-one can afford them
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rudders22[/cite]If onyl we had the money to pay for Martin's wages and keep him for a full season
    Martin is here for the full season. It's Fry who is only here until January.

I hope we can extend Fry's loan come January. He is decent at this level.
  • Yeah but my worry is that Martin will be called back by Ipswich. Ive I was Keane. the better Martin plays the more he will prob think he can put him in his team or be sold on Jan... Yes he is for a season but they have the option.... Fry I think will end up staying to end of season
  • I don't think it would be a disaster if Ipswich called back Martin but I think it's unlikely. To be fair to him, on raw skill he is probably as good as anyone in this league and probably up there with any player in the Championship. But having said that, you have to ask why he was allowed to come to us at this level of football? For me the reason is that he has a lot of learning to do and he's not going to do that from the sidelines. If I was picking my best Charlton 11 at the moment he is on the bench. What the coaching challenge is with Martin is to get him to develop a footballing brain. It is all well and good playing on instinct if your instincts are good but currently he will make 4 wrong choices for every 1 right one. That is, when to pass, when to shoot, when to hold the ball, when to use a skill, when to run at defenders and when to play it simple. For me, if you help him to improve in this area you have one hell of a player on your hands but he is a long way from the finished article and he needs to be part of our best 11 before Ipswich will think of recalling him which isn't going to happen before January. I hope that we will see the best from him in the run in.
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]We can't afford to pay Championship wages in League 1. It is strongly rumoured that they are on about £6k/£8k per week. Whereas most of our squad are more likely to be on £2k per week.

We have to offer them something like £3k per week, increased to £6k per week if we are promoted.

I'm sure Parky or Murray stated this season that two players who came down from the CCC had agreed substantial reductions in their contracts when we didn't get promotion. At the time I thought it could only refer to these two, so I'd be surprised if they are on £6k/£8k. I'd love them to sign as they definitely are CCC quality, and I've seen worse than Racon in the Prem.
  • I'd be quite happy to let Racon go. He hasn't proven he can perform consistently over a whole season even at league 1 level. He is certainly overpaid in comparison to his playing contribution. On the other hand I'd hope we do all we can to keep Semedo as he is worth every penny and probably would attract a decent transfer fee.

On the issue about Martin being recalled. Haven't Ipswich stopped us from playing him in the FA Cup to prevent him being cup tied? This doesn't mean he will be recalled but does mean Ipswich are leaving their options open.
  • [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]We can't afford to pay Championship wages in League 1. It is strongly rumoured that they are on about £6k/£8k per week. Whereas most of our squad are more likely to be on £2k per week.

I'm sure Parky or Murray stated this season that two players who came down from the CCC had agreed substantial reductions in their contracts when we didn't get promotion. At the time I thought it could only refer to these two, so I'd be surprised if they are on £6k/£8k. I'd love them to sign as they definitely are CCC quality, and I've seen worse than Racon in the Prem.
    Wasn't he talking about players like Reid and Doherty? And Dailly probably took a cut on the wages he had last season.

They've not signed new deals in their time here, so I doubt they've taken a cut in wages just to help us out. For new signings it's different, they were either out of contract or wouldn't have got regular football at their previous club.
  • I think it was Solly or Waggy that took a pay cut on his existing contract when we were relegated.. I am sure it was Solly
  • Semedo Racon and Youga are on 6k pw.

Beating Luton and playing Spurs could mean the difference of keeping Racon/Semedo or losing them if we don't get promoted.