Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Liverpool & Shelvey

Comments

• Saw him playing for their ressies v Wolves and he had a solid game. David 'Super Sub' Fairclough was summarising and clearly hasnt a clue about Jonjo's game and was heavily biased towards any 'local lad' playing in the team.

Imho, we've undersold JJ by £2M but beggars can't be choosers eh.
  • Lot's of local lads in the Liverpool first team for 'Super Sub' to get moist over!!
  • I saw a bit of that reserve game too, some of jonjo's passing was sublime and the vision to pass to pick out the player for one of the goals was top notch, makes you realise what were missing in midfield and just how parky didn't play him more is nuts.
  • I am totally stunned by what Uncle has said on the previous page!!

Parkinson didn't know what to to with one of the most talented players we have ever produced so he simply left him out the side?????
  • Just read that too, the cyanide pills are winking at me...
  • [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]I am totally stunned by what Uncle has said on the previous page!!

Parkinson didn't know what to to with one of the most talented players we have ever produced so he simply left him out the side?????

but Parky's great isn't he so must know what he was doing. We didn't want to get promoted anyway did we.
  • If you think you are amazed how do you think jonjo and his family felt.

I was spitting nails when I was told this. For jonjo's sake I was glad he left.

Good job we were not offered rooney or torres they wouldn't have got in either too good for the rest of team
  • Hope he gets a game tonight.
  • He is in the squad for tonights game not sure to what degree but i'm guessing he will feature at some point.
  • edited September 2010
    I heard there was another contributing factor in his disappearance from the team - relating to a clause in his contract that was about to be triggered.

Source was connected to the club so has no reason to lie

As I have said previously though - he is gone and we have to get over it. We will all feel a huge sense of pride when he makes his senior debut and again when he goes on to bigger and better things
  • Sponsored links:

• Given the great mess we got into with the likes of Christiansen, and the fact that we were pushing for promotion during the period that Jonjo was dropped I'm sceptical on that Swis. Still we've done dafter things in the past.
  • As has been said previously we did have the same issue with Simonsen. However, there was plenty of opportunity to integrate Jonjo and had Parky stuck with him the others would, eventually, have caught up. Personally, I'm not sure Parky wants too many players making "third man runs" and getting beyond the forward(s) as evidenced by the fact that I can only one goal (Semedo) resulting in such a run last season.

On another subject I thought that part of the deal was that we would see some of their youngsters. Any news on that count?
  • Let's be honest why would we get anyone's youngsters if one of the most talented English kids can't get in to our team and had to be sold.

I would pressure that 90% of premier league kids would be better than our players so the same thing would happen.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Let's be honest why would we get anyone's youngsters if one of the most talented English kids can't get in to our team and had to be sold.

I would pressure that 90% of premier league kids would be better than our players so the same thing would happen.[/quote]

God forbid that we should ever get anyone that can do anything other than punt hopeful long balls up the park, any semblance of being able to play football and Parkinson won't know what to do with them!!
  • Lol

He will he will drop them ask solly and waggy
  • Manager (to player who, for whatever reason, doesn't figure in his plans):

"You know what, son? You're just too good for this team. You're way ahead of all the other players and ... to be frank ... even though I'm a professional football manager ... I don't have the faintest idea how I can make them play better with you. That's why I'm leaving you out. Not because I don't rate you, but because the others aren't good enough to play with you. And it might be better anyway if you leave for a bigger club ... that's how good you are. "

Player (to Manager):

"OK, Boss."

Manager (to self):

"Phew. Got away with that one."
  • edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Manager (to player who, for whatever reason, doesn't figure in his plans):

"You know what, son? You're just too good for this team. You're way ahead of all the other players and ... to be frank ... even though I'm a professional football manager ... I don't have the faintest idea how I can make them play better with you. That's why I'm leaving you out. Not because I don't rate you, but because the others aren't good enough to play with you. And it might be better anyway if you leave for a bigger club ... that's how good you are. "

Player (to Manager):

"OK, Boss."

Manager (to self):

"Phew. Got away with that one."

Good to see our Valley Gold contributions are being put to good use. Train 'em, give 'em just enough exposure to put them in the "shop window" and then flog 'em with the promise of a reciprical "tie in" to appease the fans.
  • As Parky will be at Bromley Addicks in the the near future perhaps someone can ask him if there is any truth in these rumours.

Then we have to hope that Henners relaxs the culture of secrecy that surrounds those meetings and someone can report the truth/Parky's side of the argument back here.

Or we can just jump to conclusions without a scooby about what really went on...
  • "see some ofthe LIverpool kids" yep jump a train at Eustion get off in ScouseLand--the only way we would see any "Liverpool kids".

Or maybe they have come down but are to good for Parky to play ?

or maybe they are training with the Inter Milan kids/reserves that we we bang on to get it the distant past ?

or just maybe it was total bolloxxx from the start ?
  • edited September 2010
    To me the sale of JJ has been one of the most depressing and telling events of the past few years.

1) Parkinson doesnt play him becuase "he is too good"....begs the question of wtf have we got as a manager if that is the case.

or

2)We needed the money and he was forced to sell him and pretend to us naive fools he was surplus......even more worrying as our financial situation will only get worse in this league and we wont get out of it by getting rid of our best players.

Either way neither fill me with any confidence in the management of our club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Has been said that Liverpool want us to pay full wages if we are to take anyone on loan. We can't afford that.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]As Parky will be at Bromley Addicks in the the near future perhaps someone can ask him if there is any truth in these rumours.

Then we have to hope that Henners relaxs the culture of secrecy that surrounds those meetings and someone can report the truth/Parky's side of the argument back here.

Or we can just jump to conclusions without a scooby about what really went on...[/quote]

I would presume that Uncle was in a pretty good position to know what really went on.
  • "Saw him playing for their ressies v Wolves and he had a solid game. David 'Super Sub' Fairclough was summarising and clearly hasnt a clue about Jonjo's game and was heavily biased towards any 'local lad' playing in the team.

Imho, we've undersold JJ by £2M but beggars can't be choosers eh."

Does that count towards the 20 (?) games a season Uncle said he was promised or were they only first team games?
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]As Parky will be at Bromley Addicks in the the near future perhaps someone can ask him if there is any truth in these rumours.

If asked do you expect Parky to admit that he didn't know what to do with Jonjo ? Of course not. He'd just come out with the usual blurb of him being young, bring him in gently, not over-exposing him, rigours of League 1 blah, blah, blah. The truth is out there but you are unlikely to get it from Parky. Same as if you asked him why he'd dropped Wagstaff, our highest league goalscorer this season, matchwinner twice netting us six points. Nothing to do with having to play Martin.
  • edited September 2010
    BFR i would like to know what you think i would gain by making up such rumours, also lets just assume i'm not lying, would you really expect Parky to openly admit he didn't know what to do with a player? Doesn't really make his CV look to good does it? Yes Barn Door Varney i was in a pretty good posistion to know and there was a very good reason why i never said anything at the time altough i told a few close friends. We was pushing for a place to get out of this league and that getting out to the other players could have caused dressing room upset at a time it really wasn't needed. It makes no difference to me if people believe it or not, Its just people kept asking why so now they have been told they can make of it what they will.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]On another subject I thought that part of the deal was that we would see some of their youngsters. Any news on that count?

As stated above, Liverpool want us to pay full wages for any loanees. They offered us a right back and a centre half, both of whom were turned down as Parkie wanted to have Solly and mambo in the first team squad and felt bringing in the Liverpool players would restrict our players development. Phil "what does he do" Chapple has been up there and watched their kids and discussed our needs and there was no viable options at the time other than the two defenders.

Despite all the knocking of the club and parkie he has kept us two points from the top and there are only 40 games to go.
  • I'm not disbelieving uncle although I doubt if was put as simple at that. Perahps it was even in the context some players aren't reading the balls your trying play etc , need to adapt your game or whatever. I would have like to have seen Shelvey play more last year but this just making Parky look stupid stuff makes no sense
  • i'm with redman 100%. If anyone seriously believes that Parky did not play Shelvey because he was 'too good for our team', then.....
  • I think we might be confusing a few points.

As uncle says "why would he make up such rumours?". That leads me to think that Parkinson may well have said what was reported.

But that doesn't mean that Parkinson actually believed it. Managers often say things to players to avoid unpleasant or difficult truths or to put unpopular decisions in a more favourable light.

In the same way, Liverpool may well have 'promised' Shelvey 20 games this season. Now, forgive me .. but until I see the spreadsheet with every guaranteed Liverpool line-up between August 2010 and May 2011, I remain sceptical that any player can be 'promised' a certain number of games. Football managers just don't do that.

Liverpool may well intend or expect Shelvey to play 20 games ... but that's a whole world away from 'promising'. If the guarantee is in Shelvey's contract, I'd expect there to be a follow-up clause along the lines of "In the unlikely event that this guarantee is not fulfilled, Liverpool FC undertake to pay a 'disappointment bonus' of £XXX" or something like that. In other words, some kind of get-out.
  • I like it when Uncle refers to us as ''we''