Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

14 Days to go

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
And we have 1 player in. I Dont think the club can attract or afford anyone at the moment. the Lower league clubs want too much for their players and the foreigners dont fancy a relegation battle. I think we should save our money for next season and do as best we can now.

Comments

• Options
    Actually we have two players in - Thatcher & ZZ plus Walton is back from his loan spell. And we apparently have been interested in at times Pressley, Kepa Blanco, Stokes and one or two other players, so it's not as though the club aren't active. Transfers at this time of year seem more about chains - we'd sell player X but only if we can replace him and that team need to replace that player and so on.

There doesn't seem to be much movement overall in the transfer market, whether it stays that way who knows. Even Chelsea haven't bought/sold anyone. Man U have brought one player in Henrik Larsson. Most activity seems to have revolved around West Ham who seem to have bags of money to spend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Most activity seems to have revolved around West Ham who seem to have bags of money to spend.

And if they can't attract players with all the cash they can offer, what chance have we got?
  • Options
    I know we have been linked with Players but that is my point, just linked!
  • Options
    I don't think Chelsea or Man.u need to sign any players!It's always been the same with us,being linked with good players which hardly ever comes off and when it does it's normally at the end of their career.
  • Options
    Supporters don't want to go Pompey and players don't want to sign for us.

Supporters will give 101 justifiable reasons why they are not going to travel to try and support their club in crisis,

so don't be suprised in the slightest that players knock back a club they have no emotional ties to, who 95% look like they will be playing in a lower league, with a pay cut and less days off to boot.
  • Options
    if and when we get relegated we may find it a bit easier to attract players (as long as West Ham don't go down!!) as we are going to be challenging for promotion.

i'm quite looking forward to next season if we go down, i may even change my seat for the first time in 15 years!!!
  • Options
    Here's a list of all the transfers to date in the window, only a handful of players have gone to/from Premiership clubs. Most activity seems to be in lower leagues (here we come!!) with players moving on loans, frees or for "nominal sums.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/6222283.stm

I can see why decent players don't want to come to Charlton, it isn't about loyalty, or not fancying the fight but the contracts which no doubt have a clause in them to the effect that CCC football next season will be at reduced wages. Would you sign a long-term (ie 3/4year deal) knowing that your wages next year might halve?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Supporters don't want to go Pompey and players don't want to sign for us.

Supporters will give 101 justifiable reasons why they are not going to travel to try and support their club in crisis,

so don't be suprised in the slightest that players knock back a club they have no emotional ties to, who 95% look like they will be playing in a lower league, with a pay cut and less days off to boot.

I make you 100% right AFKA. And what I am about to say is not an attempt at one upmanship from a palace fan against charlton, it's just I believe an example of what a difference support can make.

2000/2001 seaon we were nailed on for relegation into what it is now League 1, we were thumped at selhurst by wolves and the faced to away games at Portsmouth and then Stockport.

Despite the fact that defeat at fratton park would mean relegation, we sold out the entire away end (that was the whole end in those days) for a midweek game. And out of know where the boys pulled out the performance of the season to win 4-2. Our plight then was far worse than your's is now.

Just imagine how the Charlton players would feel to run out on saturday and see the away end packed?
  • Options
    SoS - We did pack out the away end at both Fulham and Reading for "crunch" games and they still produced a steaming turd of a performance on both occasions.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]SoS - We did pack out the away end at both Fulham and Reading for "crunch" games and they still produced a steaming turd of a performance on both occasions.

they bottled Boro as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dude, get yourself into the North upper, its great. View is great, more atmos, less money etc etc
  • Options
    I hope Kinsella has kept himself fit.