Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matchday Music on Sat

Great to hear the old favourites - thanks, BDL - sure it helped with the atmosphere.

Has the announcer gone for good, or did he just have a prior engagement?

And an appropriate, albeit rather poignant, choice at the end of match - anyone else notice?

Comments

• Options
    i left early, what song was it??

Anyone else notice they played VFR before KO too!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 04 MCS[/cite]i left early, what song was it??

Anyone else notice they played VFR before KO too!

And VFR at half time too.

Song at the end was Blur "It really, really, really could happen..."
  • Options
    i think that when i was leaving, really summed up how i was feeling at the time. Well done BDL.
  • Options
    I must have misheard it, thought it was that cold play one about fixing you...
  • Options
    I'm sure I heard the Blur one, but could well have played both. Sky used the Coldplay one in their build up to the Fulham match - "When you've got what you want but not what you need" cue pic of Les Reed, then focussing on Pardew for "I will fix you". Summed up the season to that point! (Might take him a while to fix us, though.)
  • Options
    definately Blur
  • Options
    it was blur - universal.
    and i definately heard it, after that godawful t-mobile advert that is turned up so loud it makes me cover my ears!
  • Options
    silly me, must have it on the brain...
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]it was blur - universal.
    and i definately heard it, after that godawful t-mobile advert that is turned up so loud it makes me cover my ears!

That's off the EV machine (think of it as a very very very good Sky + machine with added bells and whistles), so the volume is all over the place - Sorry, my fault - will try and play it a little quieter.

Just thought that the Universal was the right choice.

Pete had to be elsewhere on Saturday, so Jon and I held the fort.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Perhaps Pete could be elsewhere on a few more saturdays (or tuesdays).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not fair - leave him alone - rotter!

As I said before - I put in a word for him when the club advertised for a new pitch announcer, I've worked with him on other events over the years and he is the right person for the job, in my opinion.

Let's leave it at that!
  • Options
    Nooo, he's TERRIBLE. He sounds like a children's entertainer. At least you and Mr Lucas sound like you care.
  • Options
    Trust me, he cares as well! We all do. None of us want to see our club in this predicament. What he is, no - what ALL of us are trying to do is to get the crowd up and at 'em. Bring back the Valley roar. It's much better this season, but it could be louder.

Pete's not the first "non" Charlton Announcer, off the top of my head I can recall - Bill Prosser (West Ham), Tuggy (Wimbledon). So it's nothing new.

I'm working on his accent though!
  • Options
    Lucky Soul! off to iTunes, Download 'Ain't never been cool', perfect Charlton song
  • Options
    I think if you want constructive criticism, its that he is sometimes TOO keen.

I know he is doing his best, and i'm sure he must check out places like this for feedback etc and it can't be nice being slagged off. But when you are trying to whip a crowd up, which he is effectively trying to do, its a bit obvious that he has no history, or feel the same passion that he is trying to generate. His timing can also be slightly out at times, and that's also due to not really having the understanding.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    But when you are trying to whip a crowd up, which he is effectively trying to do, its a bit obvious that he has no history, or feel the same passion that he is trying to generate. His timing can also be slightly out at times, and that's also due to not really having the understanding.

To be fair on him, he did whip up the crowd quite nicely during the Llanera draw - good old-fashioned compere work, that. And he seemed to be really enjoying it, too. Maybe he needs to have a bit more interaction with the punters.

He needs to get himself down Lewisham market. That'll give him a start on the accent :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]it was blur - universal.

That's off the EV machine (think of it as a very very very good Sky + machine with added bells and whistles), so the volume is all over the place - Sorry, my fault - will try and play it a little quieter.

Just thought that the Universal was the right choice.
    And followed it up with "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House. Have you got a relegation / depressing defeat playlist prepared or something Dave?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Not fair - leave him alone - rotter!

As I said before - I put in a word for him when the club advertised for a new pitch announcer, I've worked with him on other events over the years and he is the right person for the job, in my opinion.

Let's leave it at that!

I'm not disputing he's a good compere, if I was at Butlins or somewhere on holiday he'd be great. He just doesn't do it for me at Charlton, probably because number one I'm a miserable old git and two I feel Brian Cole has served his penance particularly when you consider what Tangoman has been saying about us!
  • Options
    Hang the dj Hang the dj...Hang the dj,why not?
  • Options
    Gee thanks Len, I didn't know I was serving a penance, is that good or bad :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDLBDL
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]And followed it up with "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House. Have you got a relegation / depressing defeat playlist prepared or something Dave?

Yep!

Anyway, it's not over yet!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    You mean you've got many more lined up where those came from?!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Of course he has, he's a DJ. It's when he starts playing stuff like "You don't bring me anything but down" by Sheryl Crow that we really have to worry.
  • Options
    I'm expecting "Always look on the bright side of life" next time we lose! ;o)
  • Options
    Was it you BDL that played Green Green Grass of Home the week after we played at The Beach?

Very funny that. think it even put a wry smile on the old misog's face himself.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited January 2007
    I did play it, but I cannot take the credit for that one - Can't say who requested that we play it, but he really should know better ;-)

Still, got a mention on Soccer Saturday!
  • Options
    Who was it then BDL :-) C'mon spill the beans.
  • Options
    Well if it was your idea Brian then well done. Very good.
  • Options
    It wasn't Brian's idea either!
  • Options
    Dunno why, but I'm thinking Steve Sutherland/Peter Varney...