Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your stance/opinions wanted

edited April 2010 in Not Sports Related
In the village were my parents live at the mo (in Kent halfway between Canterbury and Folkestone real sticks country in comparison to Deptford) over the last few years in the village shop they have had new owners move in and take over the shop (in actual fact its a valley with lots of villages streching between the two towns which these guys now own all of). So now that i have set the scene for you, the new owners moved into the shop in the village were my parents live, from Sri Lanka and they have run that shop better than any of the British people who had owned it previously (who were just plain lazy and aparently wouldnt sell Ciggys or Booze because they diddnt agree with Smoking and Drinking rather than looking at profits lol) these Srilankans have revitalised the shops in the area now, owning all the village shops in the whole valley and everyone agrees the local shops have never been so good.

Now recently the owner has had a fine slapped on him of £5,000 for employing a illegal immigrant, which going by the law he deserves. However if they went round to all the different shops of similar ilk around this country we probably would be left with no newsagents left. A fine of £5,000 can cripple a small country business like this and as i say all the locals in the area all agree the shops have never been this good. While i agree with the laws and he defo should have been fined i just feel that picking on little businesses like that is not really the people we need to be getting out with regards to illegal immigrants????

Comments

• Options
    5k is nowhere near enough, should have closed the shop down.

Zero tolerence.

Employ an illegal immigrant, risk losing everything.
  • Options
    What a stupid wind up looking for the inevitable reaction.

Why bother on a football forum?

Sink
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What a stupid wind up looking for the inevitable reaction.

Sink

Was only looking for opinions Henry sorry i wasnt looking to upset.
  • Options
    In law there's a fine for employing illegals. They took the risk. They got caught. They don't just pick on small businesses, large firms are regularly audited, so it's a bit of a non-issue.

If anything the fine seems on the low side, I think they should pay up and learn a lesson.
  • Options
    Good for them for making a go of it.

Shame they broke the law by employing an illegal.

Deserve the fine (in fact they got away lightly as the fine could have been £10k), just as they would if they broke Environmental Health regulations.

I'm sure he's not the only employer in Kent to have been caught by UK Border Force for doing this. It's their job and what they do; just as traffic cops stop and prosecute some drunk drivers.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What a stupid wind up looking for the inevitable reaction.

Sink
    A little harsh (for a change).

If we are sinking discussions that may lead to idiotic views and non-football matters, I'll miss the Wouldyas and RIPs
  • Options
    Isn't it funny though that out of the 91 public bodies who were found to be employing illegal immigrants over the past few years (including Beckett House which vets immigrants!) not a single one has been fined.

I'm all for harsh fines for employment of illegals, but don't like it when the state get away with murder (which they do literally) and individuals get hit hard.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]the state get away with murder (which they do literally)

literally ?
  • Options
    Tomlinson, Iraq, Dr David Kelly.....
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]5k is nowhere near enough, should have closed the shop down.

Zero tolerence.

Employ an illegal immigrant, risk losing everything.[/quote]

Could not agree more
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Tomlinson, Iraq, Dr David Kelly.....

None of those are “literally” murder
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Isn't it funny though that out of the 91 public bodies who were found to be employing illegal immigrants over the past few years (including Beckett House which vets immigrants!) not a single one has been fined.

I'm all for harsh fines for employment of illegals, but don't like it when the state get away with murder (which they do literally) and individuals get hit hard.

Ha ha Thats where i work..and indeed we did have illegal immigrants working as cleaners here about 5 years ago and were only caught when one of the security guards how noticed that the pass one of them was using looked dodgy.
  • Options
    There was as huge outfit...something to do with DVD's or something similar, near the Swanley M25 roundabout (Jnc3), they employed zillions of illegals (either intentionaly or unintentionaly who knows?) and were caught out a year or two back.
    They don't just target small outfits, this was a big set up. It was right next door to The Tear Drop refuge dump on the right as you go down the sliproad.
  • Options
    A fine isnt good enough...they should be hanged and then tortured!
  • Options
    Hang them, that would set an example and stop all these people from employing illegal immigrants. Do they think the UK is open house for anyone that wants to come?

As for the previous owners refusing to sell cigs and booze, that is their choice nothing to do with being lazy and I respect them for that.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]A fine isnt good enough...they should be hanged and then tortured![/quote]

Surely that should be the other way round?
  • Options
    Football forums are for Top 5 lists of rubbish pop singers and RIP's for obscure left wing playwrites. Every true Charlton fan knows that.....
  • Options

Sink

New App for translating Animals
    Cables
    Orbit
    South Park
    Word Game
    Glasgow
    Today I will mostly be listening to ....
    Miss Dahl Category
    Grand National 2010

All from the front page on this site but have nothing to do with football. If you dont want to read it or dont wont the inevatble reaction then simply dont read the topic or if you do read, dont comment, then everyone that wants to disscuss or argue can do so.
  • Options
    Cables!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Cables![/quote]

or usually trains
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Isn't it funny though that out of the 91 public bodies who were found to be employing illegal immigrants over the past few years (including Beckett House which vets immigrants!) not a single one has been fined.

Who would pay the fine if they were fined, and where would it go? One arm of the State to another. I know what you're saying, but fining public bodies isn't much of an idea. Fine the people who hired them, maybe, but not the institution
  • Options
    sunk as predicted

Right again : - )
  • Options
    I bet someone has a bite.
  • Options
    Yea if the thread was started by someone else it probably wouldnt have been sunk but it was started by me so they sunk it o well cest la vie.
  • Options
    Hooray - running a great business successfully

Boo - employing illegal immigrants.

Not much else to it, really.
  • Options
    Ru, don't be stupid. It's got nothing to do with who started it, and everything to with the potential for it to spiral into yet another immigration / race argument.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Ru, don't be stupid. It's got nothing to do with who started it, and everything to with the potential for it to spiral into yet another immigration / race argument.

Glad someone else realised that and could see the difference between this and a would ya or a RIP
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Ru, don't be stupid. It's got nothing to do with who started it, and everything to with the potential for it to spiral into yet another immigration / race argument.

Glad someone else realised that and could see the difference between this and a would ya or a RIP

Point taken fair enough i was being stupid your right.
  • Options
    What a sad and pathetic sink. A very sorry statement about this site.

The worst thing about it, and sinking it reflects very poorly on all involved- the absolutely disgusting thing - is making the person who raised the matter - in a perfectly reasonable and sane manner - feel bad about it. I wonder what the people who have behaved in such an utterly pathetic and disgusting manner feel they've added to their own kudos, as a result of their conduct.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

It might have been ironic, but I guess we should all consider the tubby and thick's ability not to "get it"