Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A beautiful walk in Kent.

Comments

• Options
    That pic of the marshes looks well flat. Henry will like that!
  • Options
    I did a falconry experience at Eynsford. Very nice it was too.
  • Options
    I have bad knees!

Toys Hill I think it will be.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]The best walk in kent is across the bridge into Essex

Erm, last time I went on the Bridge it was to escape from the land of Stiletto's and all the Mutton on show at Lakeside ;-) (Don't deny it - I used to work in Harold Hill)

Did you really ?? I've lived there all my life. Where abouts?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]That pic of the marshes looks well flat. Henry will like that!

Flat ....?

I'll let you know, I used to belong to the Romney Marsh Mountain Rescue team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I have bad knees!

I get it, Henry - it's a riddle.

Are you Sam Sodje or Kelly Youga ?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I used to go camping with the cubs and scouts to French Street/Toys Hill around 1957.....we'd set out from Hither Green in a huge Nicholls Removals van (pantechnicon as they were called in those days) sitting on top of all our equipment and singing our heads off just about all the way, the roads were very primitive and progress in such a large vehicle was incredibly slow as I remember, it probaby took us all of a couple of hours to get there....health and safety would have a blue fit in this day and age but we were always deleriously happy!
    I can remember driving through Bromley on a Saturday afternoon straight down the High Street...not like the by-pass today. We'd wave and sing to all the shoppers and they'd wave back smiling and looked as happy as we were.
    As a nipper Westerham seemed like a thousand miles away from Catford....it was a 'very' oldie world by todays standards....just like Dad's Army and Wallmington - on- Sea is how best to describe it.
    Some of the most wonderful times of my life spent there with The 9th Lewisham North cubs and scouts...happy innocent days....oh how times have changed....and more sadly me too.
    I remember feeling particularly proud to be camping but a stones throw from Chartwell and knowing the great man himself was in residence.

Help me dear lord to keep if I can.
    A piece of the heart of the boy in the man.
  • Options
    some nice stories :-)

Henry - some Chartwell walks made easy for you:
    http://www.relaxedcountrywalking.co.uk/walksummaries.htm
  • Options
    Great post from both Soundas and March51. Lived in Kent all my life. In the early 1960's me and my mates used to catch the Green Line Bus to Sevenoaks and spend all day in Knole Park. Refreshments provided by our respective mums, bottle of Tizer, sandwiches etc. As long as we got home before dark there was never a problem. The high street still has that !950's feel about as has West Malling High Street.

Many other great places in the county. Whitstable is a particular current favourite of mine.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Great post from both Soundas and March51. Lived in Kent all my life. In the early 1960's me and my mates used to catch the Green Line Bus to Sevenoaks and spend all day in Knole Park. Refreshments provided by our respective mums, bottle of Tizer, sandwiches etc. As long as we got home before dark there was never a problem. The high street still has that !950's feel about as has West Malling High Street.

Many other great places in the county. Whitstable is a particular current favourite of mine.[/quote]

I'll be spending this coming weekend in Whitstable....The Ship Centurion awaits me and a few pints of draught Erdinger Weisbrau.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lucky man, Im very envious. Hope the weather's good.

ps Old friend Paul Green says hello, he's not been too well the last year but now well on the way to recovery.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Lucky man, Im very envious. Hope the weather's good.

ps Old friend Paul Green says hello, he's not been too well the last year but now well on the way to recovery.[/quote]

Oh blimey Paul Green of course pass on my regards mist....not seen him for years...nice fella he was/is.....and how's that tasty sister of his that everyone used to be in love with...she was a real cracker....Sigh!
  • Options
    Thanks Soundas, seeing him next week so I'll be sure to pass on your regards. He tells me you used to play in the same football team together back in the days.
  • Options
    Thanks, some good suggestions there.

Not been to Whitstable for ages. Maybe I'll check that out soon as well. And Broadstairs.

What with Charlton and Henry Jnrs team football takes over too many weekends and I've got some National Trust cards burning a hole in my wallet.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Went here for lunch last week and i can highly highly recommend it... going to stay there hopefully next weekend. Gorgeous pub and good outdoor space also.

whoops wrong link!

did someone say theres a good walk near here? and also a short walk away is another lovely looking pub called the swan on the green i think - West Peckham?
  • Options
    That says its in Somerset ?
  • Options
    i just realised...

Carpenters Arms.
  • Options
    Had a very good sunday lunch there.
  • Options
    Uncle - I used to work for Havering in the Whitworth Centre up at the end of Straight Road, corner of Noak Hill road, before they moved us into Romford.
  • Options
    BDL is right, if you want a flat walk head for the Romney Marshes, a nice walk along the canal from Hythe to New Romney, then along the coast to Dungeness, a surreal place, apparently it is a desert, though I think they are bull******** about that claim as there is not even any sand, or camels coming to think of it. Pleany of flat walking along that coast, the other way to Sandgate is equally good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A walk to New Romney from Hythe?! No chance!

Get the little train ;-)
  • Options
    I hate getting muddy shoes. Would rather walk along the Thames path around Tower Bridge.
  • Options
    woosie townie.
  • Options
    There's a nice little walk between Otford and Shoreham (through the golf course) which takes a leisurely 45 mins, nice pubs at either end too. Not sure about walking in the hills above Kemsing and Otford though, like Soundas says the views are great but some of the locals are banjo pluckers.
  • Options
    thats on part of the walk i linked above Santa. A small part of it. Very nice tho.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Uncle - I used to work for Havering in the Whitworth Centre up at the end of Straight Road, corner of Noak Hill road, before they moved us into Romford.
    Yeah i know it well i do deliveries there for Britons school. Am i right in guessing you moved to eastern road romford? Thats where i deliver to for them now
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Uncle - I used to work for Havering in the Whitworth Centre up at the end of Straight Road, corner of Noak Hill road, before they moved us into Romford.
    Yeah i know it well i do deliveries there for Britons school. Am i right in guessing you moved to eastern road romford? Thats where i deliver to for them now

We did and I left! Worse than working in a call centre. No privacy!
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]BDL is right, if you want a flat walk head for the Romney Marshes, a nice walk along the canal from Hythe to New Romney, then along the coast to Dungeness, a surreal place, apparently it is a desert, though I think they are bull******** about that claim as there is not even any sand, or camels coming to think of it. Pleany of flat walking along that coast, the other way to Sandgate is equally good.

Love Dungerness. The old lighthouse and the pubs. Great fiah and chips at the Pilot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]There's a nice little walk between Otford and Shoreham (through the golf course) which takes a leisurely 45 mins, nice pubs at either end too. Not sure about walking in the hills above Kemsing and Otford though, like Soundas says the views are great but some of the locals are banjo pluckers.

Banjo pluckers???? I live in Kemsing!!! i can confirm the views are amazing on a good day and number 1 place for sledging when we have the snow...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I grew up in Otford and know Kemsing well but some of the little one pub hamlets up in the hills above have some very weird characters. Try the Fox and Hounds pub off Bower Lane and you'll see what i mean.
  • Options
    ah hah, lol, yes i know what you mean, of course that doesnt come under Kemsing :-) think it is known as Knatts Valley or Romney street or similar, but yes have to agree there are some "characters"