Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I'm bored, who are we going to fail to sign next?

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Why do we have this bloke Mills, seems to be going same as last year..

Comments

• Options
    Just heard a rumour from inside my head that we have just failed to sign Zidane...... or did I just hear someone say sit down......I dunno now?
  • Options
    about time someone forgot to sign the players wages cheque
  • Options
    I think we should start making up players that we will fail to sign.

I heard we were minutes away from securing the signature of Brazilian wonderkid 'Nelsinho' but the shite chose to go to Southampton instead at the last minute because he felt he could acclimatise to Hampshire better than Bromley.

Or we could go for the Warbury midfielder Joe Rock. He would add steel to the spine of the side.
  • Options
    Well Smertin hasn't signed for Wham yet - would stillbe a good signing for us I think, although Fulham in the chase too by the sounds of it and I guess he would prefer it out west where he's used to.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/overseas/other/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/01/09/SOCCER_Smertin.html&TEAMHD=foreign
  • Options
    It is an interesting point about Andrew Mills though.

Linking this to the Andy Cole thread, Harry Redknapp said that Alan Pardew phoned to ask about Cole's availability. In the old regime, that would have been Andrew Mill's job.

I suspect that managers like to talk to other managers, possibly ones they know and are friends with. There is the chance that Mills would have been considered as a jumped up players agent who had been causing club managers grief up until recently.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Why do have this bloke Mills, seems to be going same as last year..

I was wondering that myself - he hadn't even sorted out with Liverpool about Carson playing for us (or not) in the cup until a journalist brought the matter up with Pardew last week.
  • Options
    good game,

i reckon we'll miss out next on Freddie Eastwood, who will sign for Fulham for £2.7m + riverboat
  • Options
    I'm going to agree with AFKA cos he'll ban me if I don't. : - )

Salad, you're right that some managers prefer to talk to managers and some chairman prefer to talk to Murray as they know him. But then maybe some agents prefer to talk to another agent. That's what Mills is, an in-house agent. Don't think you can blame him cos players are always going to tempted by other clubs sometimes and he has nothing to do with who we target.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    From my perspective, I wasn't having a dig at Mr Mills, just noting that obviously Pards was speaking to 'Arry. As you say, there are many avenues to go down.

I found it interesting that firstly Pardew is hired as Manager, not Head Coach, and now he is phoning around regarding players etc. These were the very things that Richard Murray touted as being non-core to running the first team squad.

The other thing was I remember someone explaining that how it would work is that the Head Coach would identify the position which he wanted to fill, then Mills would make enquiries about availability and present a short list of achievable targets. I don't see Alan Pardew working like that.
  • Options
    It may well be that Pards wants to work in a different way, I honestly don't know.

But say that Cole was in our price range the running around about how much, bonuses for cup wins (Ha, Ha), length of contract, etc doesn't need to be done by Pardew and he might be better off showing the players how to defend a corner etc than getting into that detail. And if the player is abroad and someone needs to go to Brazil to see his agent and club then Mills can get on the plane and do the donkey work. Still Pards call to sign Ronaldo (opps shouldn't have let that slip out) but the paperwork is Mills job.

Maybe he is doing his job badly or maybe he's doing it well. He reports to Richard Murray so he will say. Just seems that he's getting the blame for the players who do sign being rubbish and for NOT yet signing any players when neither are ultimately down to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I, for one, am not blaming Mills or in any way suggesting that he is responsible for the lack of signings.

The truth is made abundantly clear by the Anthony Stokes transfer. People, perhaps quite rightly, think that there is a better chance of playing in the premier league next season by joining a championship side not even in the play-off positions than there is by joining us.

The soap opera which has been running in SE7 this season means that our stock is rock bottom at the moment. It may be that we have to make the best of what we've got, or more likely look for out of favour players as loan signings.
  • Options
    Wasn't having a go at you Mark, just making a general comment.

Afraid I have to make you right about "our stock" at the moment. Still, hopefully Pards repuation for taking kids and giving them a chance will help.
  • Options
    The point is that Mills presence has had little impact, or possibly..
  • Options
    His a Spurs fan, we have a right to have a go at him!
  • Options
    Nugent?