Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Who - Live @ The Valley

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
£4 A TICKET. Would have loved to of experienced this but a bit before my concert days, heres a few pics i hadnt seen before and a write up of the tour which also went to Celtic and Swansea

Charlton

I recall there was some rain, but for much of the day it was overcast, but not raining. It was quite loud (I've been to louder), but we were quite a way back. I think there was some trouble with people climbing the floodlight stands earlier on in the day, which was of concern to the event organisers, since the mirrors being used to bounce the lasers around during the Who set were located on them, and could have been sent skew wiff. There was a real problem with there being a major flood of forged tickets (plenty of notification in advance), and I think the organisers were seriously concerned that the ground was too small for all the people who were likely to show up with tickets.

Although I knew our tickets to be genuine, I was still concerned that we weren't going to get in, since we arrived part way through the first set. There was a lot of drunkenness around - I think I got 'stuck in' early on in the day, and ended up with a crushing headache through the Alex Harvey set, and slept it off some, but recall the Who's set bringing me back to some semblance of sobriety. They were stunning, as were the pyrotechnics.

website

Comments

• Both Who gigs were superb ... there have been a few threads on Charlton Life about this in the past.

Good to see the pics again.
  • I just came across a few pics, wasnt sure if some of these had been previously seen. Weather looked dismal but if i could go back in time this would definately be something I would stop the time machine to attend
  • the Valley as it was then looked an awesome place for gigs with it's huge 'bowl' effect in front of the old main stand which appeared to make a perfect stage
  • Lol, the note on the ticket makes me laugh "No re admission"

We bunked in by crawling under a turnstile behind the North stand at lunch time, went home for a bite to eat at tea time then bunked back in early evening this time via a garden at the back of the East terrace in time to see The Who

Happy Days
  • guys, check out these two long-running threads

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=25102

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=16177
  • The weather for the 74 gig was the hottest ever day in May for London...

The weather for the 76 gig was the wettest...
  • bunked in to them both - happy (younger) days
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]The weather for the 76 gig was the wettest...

Just about the only day it rained during the hottest, driest summer in living memory.

Remember the slogan during the water shortages?: "Save water - bath with a friend"
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]The weather for the 76 gig was the wettest...

Just about the only day it rained during the hottest, driest summer in living memory.

Remember the slogan during the water shortages?:"Save water - bath with a friend"

Remember that all too well - and I remember August 28 when the draught broke even bettter.

First, Callaghan had belatedly appointed Dennis Howell as his 'minister for the draught' only a few days beforehand.

Secondly, I got married on a glorious summer's day on August 27 and the following day - the first of our our honeymoon, in the West Country which was regarded as an exotic destination in those days - the skies opened.

I was never sure who should take the credit for the end of the drought - Dennis Howell or me!
  • I was working in Butlins in Filey in '76, it was the hottest summer ever....

What with grass fires, old people dropping down dead with heat stroke and the boating lake drying up it was just too bloody hot...

After the season ended there was a God squad convention, on the first night they prayed for rain and by the next morning the staff chalets were under two foot of water...!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember the Who turning up outside the Valley each in separate limos surrounded by security and various hangers- on. Not surprising punk caught on after witnessing how bloated and corporate the old rock stars had become.
  • [cite]Posted By: alberto balsam[/cite]Remember the Who turning up outside the Valley each in separate limos surrounded by security and various hangers- on. Not surprising punk caught on after witnessing how bloated and corporate the old rock stars had become.
    Didn't Pete Townsend turn up in a really clapped out banger for one of the gigs...?
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: alberto balsam[/cite]Remember the Who turning up outside the Valley each in separate limos surrounded by security and various hangers- on. Not surprising punk caught on after witnessing how bloated and corporate the old rock stars had become.

Still put on a fucking good gig though didn't they....a million times better than any punk band could even dream of fella!
    And if called upon they could still do it to this day.
  • Mods ?
    Punks before their Brains we're put in.......
  • Bump - It was on this day 34 years ago.
  • I remember going down the Valley during the following week to help with the clear up, think we got 50p or a pound a day as kids but the real bonus came with finding money on the terraces and pitch and loads of unopened beer bottles and packs of fags which we passed over the wall up by the Kentish laundry and then sold to the shops in the Village and at Victoria Way!!! I lived on Springfield Grove estate and the noise was deafening that day!!!
  • I was at the '76 gig. Probably the best gig I have EVER seen! The Who were at the height of their powers. Standing in the rain waiting for them to come on wasn't so great, but it was worth the wait.

I remember a guy a few yards back from the stage had a large banner which said "Nicky Horne is a w@nker"! I felt sorry for little Nicky Horne as he had to see that every time he came out to introduce a band. They had a revolutionary Laser Light Show, which was lashed to the floodlight towers - you can probably buy better lighting effects from Maplins for about a tenner these days!
  • What a day that mustve been... id pay 50 quid for a ticket now, never mind 4 quid!
  • [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]What a day that mustve been... id pay 50 quid for a ticket now, never mind 4 quid!

I've got my old ticket packed away in a trunk in the loft, with my old Charlton programmes & stuff.

You'd give me £50, eh .....?
  • I've still got my yellow metal back stage pass.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]What a day that mustve been... id pay 50 quid for a ticket now, never mind 4 quid![/quote]

I've got my old ticket packed away in a trunk in the loft, with my old Charlton programmes & stuff.

You'd give me £50, eh .....?[/quote]

If that was sarcastic then :P
    but i meant if they played the valley again
  • [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]What a day that mustve been... id pay 50 quid for a ticket now, never mind 4 quid!

You'd give me £50, eh .....?

If that was sarcastic then :P
    but i meant if they played the valley again

Tongue in cheek, mate ......!

;o)
  • Great new tshirt
  • I've tried and failed miserably to upload a photo of both The Who tickets at the Valley + Led Zeps last performance with Bonham at Knedworth.
  • edited November 2010
    dsc00346g.jpg

There ya go mate...
    Put the URL between [-IMG] and [-/IMG] (get rid of the hyphens)
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_i7vtxEKv8&feature=related
    The 1974 concert, with lots of links on you tube at the side.
  • Look at those prices......!
  • I went to both of the Who concerts. What i remember of the second one is an off licence on the corner of Floyd Road was selling booze. I bought a bottle of Whisky and vodka, but the trouble was they did not let you in the ground with the bottles. You had to either dump them in the skip or try to drink the whole bottle. Had a good go but could not manage it so it went in the skip. What i also remember of the second one is during Little Feats set some head case had scaled one of the pylons and was dancing wildly on the platform, was expecting him to plummet to the floor, but somehow he stayed upright. I have seen hundreds of concerts with various bands through the years but the first concert, the Whos set was the best i have ever seen. Happy days