Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Nolan in the Greenwich Times. . .

Making some good points about how are fringe players going to earn their way into the first team if there is no reserve side, and also asking why the Valley pitch wasn't covered the weekend prior to the Brighton game.

Is there a link to this match report/article?, its worth a read.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]also asking why the Valley pitch wasn't covered the weekend prior to the Brighton game.

Weren't we playing on it v Yeovil?

;o)
  • Options
    Tsk! After Yeovil....

Its an interesting write up.
  • Options
    He's a good writer.

I guess there's a limit to how much they can cover the pitch before the lack of air and light starts killing it though...
  • Options
    i've copied it but probably have to print out... not sure this is oging to work so here goes
  • Options
    not its not going to work too small.

oh well.

i never read this rag but did note the story about the The Peninsula chinese restaurant.. yuck.
  • Options
    What happened there?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i never read this rag but did note the story about the The Peninsula chinese restaurant.. yuck.

I've eaten there... should i not go back?
  • Options
    could have been worse... worried they might have been serving up some mice chow mein for a second
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]also asking why the Valley pitch wasn't covered the weekend prior to the Brighton game
    Maybe he's a better authority on grass football pitches than Colin Powell, but I am sure there's a good reason why this wasn't done. Perhaps, covering an already-poor pitch with something that will entirely block out sunlight isn't a smart move?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i've copied it but probably have to print out... not sure this is oging to work so here goes[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_648176 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]nolan_Page_1.jpg[/div][/ul][/div][/quote]

Its the write up about the Brighton game on the inside
  • Options
    i know. it split it into 3 documents but didnt bother posting as small print.
  • Options
    Might be able see it better here?

is.php?i=41132&img=appt74.jpg
  • Options
    Curious to point to the pitch ("the ball simply wouldn't do its bit") when Brighton were probably the best passing team we've seen this year (it's acknowledged that the Seagulls adapted admirably to the circumstances and passed their way crisply through them). There's many worse pitches in higer divisions than ours, that wasn't the cause of that performance, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    There were some areas of that pitch where it was impossible to pass or run with the ball.

So rather than get bogged down in those areas, Brighton had the bright idea to play their football where the pitch played that bit better.

And a gameplan that involved movement off the ball, being decisive and supporting team mates.
    That's the bit of the game that was really missing that night with our players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]So rather than get bogged down in those areas, Brighton had the bright idea to play their football where the pitch played that bit better.
    Yeah - our goalmouth..!
  • Options
    Actually, Chizz both their goals were shots from outside the penalty area!
  • Options
    Just got this paper again (dunno why I'm in Bexley), but his summary of the Millwall game totally echoes everything I thought.

http://tiny.cc/GnYSF

Go to Pages 27 & 28
  • Options
    Thanks Falc......
    Honest as ever is our Kev.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Thanks Falc......
    Honest as ever is our Kev.[/quote]

Tough to read but spot on from every viewpoint.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely fabulous !

You can always rely on Charlton,s very own Poet Laureate to find the most succinct, emotive and heartfelt words in the English language when writing about our favourite team.

Let,s all hope that his final report of this season is one to treasure and reflect on for years to come as it evokes memories of another brilliant victory  for the Addicks at the home of English football.

THIS one will be for you, Betty and Bob.
  • Options
    Absolutely fabulous !

You can always rely on Charlton,s very own Poet Laureate to find the most succinct, emotive and heartfelt words in the English language when writing about our favourite team.

Let,s all hope that his final report of this season is one to treasure and reflect on for years to come as it evokes memories of another brilliant victory  for the Addicks at the home of English football.

THIS one will be for you, Betty and Bob.
    Great stuff as always from the sage!
  • Options
    Excellent piece, as ever by Kevin. Very stirring: brings tears in the eyes and gets the heart beating fast ready for Sunday. COYRs
  • Options
    He’s a great writer - always presses the right buttons - his reports - in the mercury I think - were the main source of fan info for years 
  • Options
    He’s a quality writer. Thought the Keith Palmer comment was both amusing and very poignant at the same time, brilliant stuff.
  • Options

The man is a true wordsmith. Always a joy to read his reports.

• Options
    Cor if that don't make ya puff out ya chest & shout I fooking love U  Charlton...abso pumped for Sunday...,

Cmooooomnnn....!!!
  • Options
    Charlton is, after all, the greatest football team the world has ever seen.

PRICELESS!!
  • Options
    Always a great read one of my favourite lines of his was "seemed a certain goal until a bag of dirty washing threw itself across the goal line to keep it out" or something similar to describe Neville Southall making a tremendous save to stop Andy Jones scoring at Selhurst!. A true wordsmith thank you Mr Nolan.