Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valiants, Robins or Addicks

Comments

• Options
    lol
  • Options
    Valiants
  • Options
    Always have been an Addick.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When I was a kid, the official nickname was Valiants, and I went with that, or Reds. Never really thought about Robins.

Then one day at a family get together, my Uncles and my Dad started talking about Addicks. I hated it. I asked why the name came about and something about Haddock meals was mentioned. It grated on me and I just parked the name somewhere in my brain and left it there.

After we left for Sellout, the Addicks nickname just grew on me. It was ours, it was different, it spoke of our history as a club. For me since then, its is, and will always be, Addicks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]When I was a kid, the official nickname was Valiants, and I went with that, or Reds. Never really thought about Robins.

Then one day at a family get together, my Uncles and my Dad started talking about Addicks. I hated it. I asked why the name came about and something about Haddock meals was mentioned. It grated on me and I just parked the name somewhere in my brain and left it there.

After we left for Sellout, the Addicks nickname just grew on me. It was ours, it was different, it spoke of our history as a club. For me since then, its is, and will always be, Addicks.

By pure coincidence some years 'after' we were called The Addicks one of the clubs directors owned a pub (I believe in Church Lane if my memory serves me), who used to allow the players of both teams to change in the pub.
    After the game he used to serve them fish and chip suppers.....not sure if it was Haddock though....and this was some years later...... by that I mean we were already called The Addicks..
    Now two things here confuse me slightly.....I'm not sure if it was Arthur Bryan that supplied the fish and chips as it's unclear (at least to me), whether Arthur actually sold fish and chips(he was in fact primarily a fishmonger)....he may well have supplied the fish to another fish and chip shop nearby....or actually was also a fish and chip shop who supplied the pub.
    If anyone knows the answer to this please let me know, as I've often wondered where those suppers came from.
  • Options
    My great Nan said it was a fish and chip shop near woolwich dockyard that supplied the fish and chips Stu.....she was around when we first camped out at the Valley and used to regal me with all sorts of stories about the size of the crowds in the 30's 40's and 50's
  • Options
    Valliants???????????? Why?
  • Options
    Addicks for me.
    What sort of story can you tell if we're called the Valiants or Robins if asked?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]My great Nan said it was a fish and chip shop near woolwich dockyard that supplied the fish and chips Stu.....she was around when we first camped out at the Valley and used to regal me with all sorts of stories about the size of the crowds in the 30's 40's and 50's

Must have got there by horse and cart....(literally) very interesting....so that would rule out dear old Arthur as he was near the flood barrier.
    Thanks Tel.....great stuff.
  • Options
    Rip roaring goal scoring addicks

now were just shite
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The ADDICKS are VALIENT ROBINS!

i always heard from word of mouth that the nickname 'addicks' came from a misinterpreted nickname for the young boys of 1905. They worked in a fish shop cooking Haddock at the time and when fans would support them, they would orgininally scream out. "Come on you haddocks!" This was not heard correctly by the majority of the fans and as more and more fans began to attend games, fans thought they original outcry was "come on you Addicks!" Hence The addicks today!
  • Options
    Addicks. Traditional and unique.

Valiants is a bit naff and every other team in red is called the robins.
  • Options
    Keep playing the wat we are now we'll all definetly be addicts soon
  • Options
    Always 'addick n chips!
  • Options
    Addicks is the enduring nickname with the longest history to it.

Robins and Valiants, to some extent, were both contrived as marketing exercises of their time.
  • Options
    Addicks is unique, IIRC the re-emergence was down to the VoTV resurrecting the nickname at Sellout.
  • Options
    Just has to be The Addicks
  • Options
    We are The ADDICKS that is our unique history.

Robins & Valiants refer to other clubs.
  • Options
    I must admit I remember robins or valiants from the 70's and early 80's and never really remember any using Addicks. I moved away late 80's apart from coming back for a year in '89
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]The ADDICKS are VALIENT ROBINS!

i always heard from word of mouth that the nickname 'addicks' came from a misinterpreted nickname for the young boys of 1905. They worked in a fish shop cooking Haddock at the time and when fans would support them, they would orgininally scream out. "Come on you haddocks!" This was not heard correctly by the majority of the fans and as more and more fans began to attend games, fans thought they original outcry was "come on you Addicks!" Hence The addicks today!

Sorry mate, it was Arthur Bryan 'The Addicker' as named by Kentish Indepenent journalists.....though exactly which journalist and on which occassion is not known.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The badge represents Valiants.
    The song says Robins.

But it is the Addicks!!!

Maybe we need a new badge and a new song?
  • Options
    When I started supporting at the beginning of the 60's I believe the popular nickname was the Robins (and hence the Red, Red Robin).
    Certainly amongst my age group that seemed to be the one; although you would always hear some of the older generation shouting for the Addicks.
    I' m pretty sure I remember all the football annuals giving our nickname as the Robins through the 60's, 70's and 80's.
    I remember the gimmicky competition to change the nickname - won by the choice of The Valiants.
    I don't remember it catching on and I have to say I have never heard anybody call us the Valiants within my earshot.

I'm cool with the Addicks as our nickname and I agree with those who say it makes us unique.
    I don't like the fish connotation though. I get the stories of the haddock and chip suppers and all - but the leap from that to basically calling our team the Haddocks.
    i mean, come on!
  • Options
    Addicks all day long. Quite like the fish story aswell, least it is something a little different.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In the 68/69 season there was a temporary madness and the whole covered end started calling us Valiants. I can even remember Ed Firmani buying a Plymouth Valiant...the prick nearly run me over on Blackheath because he was waving to the bunch of lads I was with (wearing colours) Only Brian Kinsey hated him more than me. Sorry, I didnt mean this to turn into an Ed Firmani thread.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]In the 68/69 season there was a temporary madness and the whole covered end started calling us Valiants. I can even remember Ed Firmani buying a Plymouth Valiant...the prick nearly run me over on Blackheath because he was waving to the bunch of lads I was with (wearing colours) Only Brian Kinsey hated him more than me. Sorry, I didnt mean this to turn into an Ed Firmani thread.

Windscreen....am I getting this right...you hate Eddie Firmani??
  • Options
    Nah, dont hate anyone, fun comment only...just one night in 73 was installing a TV in Brians house and he was going on and on about Ed, I said "Excuse me but I think nearly getting run over by the guy is much worse that having him as a boss"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]Nah, dont hate anyone, fun comment only...just one night in 73 was installing a TV in Brians house and he was going on and on about Ed, I said "Excuse me but I think nearly getting run over by the guy is much worse that having him as a boss"

Ah yes Eddie was a real disciplinarian....not that I can imagine he'd have had much trouble with Brian.
    No swearing was one of his real dictates.....a nice man though Eddie.
    I, Henry Irving and one or two others had a lovely impromptue Indian meal with him a few months back in Bromley.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Edited....should have been a whisper sorry.
  • Options
    Has to be the Addicks; love the story too. It is unique.

We do, indeed, have the best badge in football and fans of other clubs have mentioned to me in the past that they think it's great. If it ain't broke - don't fix it!
  • Options
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-fans-eye-view--charlton-athletic-awkward-problems-of-being-addickted-1181844.html

An article from 1998 from the Independent. A slightly different version had already appeared in Voice of the Valley.

I can't vouch for the authenticity of any claims made.