Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

fao oohaahmortimer

how did yout vets game go yesterday?

Comments

• Options
    it was the heaviest pitch i've ever played on , i played left wing(rommedahl without pace) we were 3-1 up with 10 minutes to go and we drew 3-3. I was totally f**cked we only had 12 players with rotating subs and every time i tried to get off the pitch someone else claimed they were tireder. it's only my second 90 mins on pitch in 7 years cos i've been playing in goal. their second goal came from our corner i didn't want to take cos i had no legs , it went along the floor and didn't even reach the 6 yard box they broke and scored. their winner was from a corner that was going in and i slyly tipped on to the bar with my hand/head but they put the rebound in off the bar to save the ref from a tough decision. then i rushed in the dressing room to see how many we were losing by and 2-0 didn't surprise me. the manager said are you available next week and i said 'i'm a charlton season ticket and they're at home, f**k that i'm available!!'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]their second goal came from our corner i didn't want to take cos i had no legs , it went along the floor and didn't even reach the 6 yard box they broke and scored.'

sounds very charltonesque.

i can relate to your tiredness.
    i played 2 games of cricket (my 1st for 15 years) in september to help a mate out. told them i 'bat a bit' so they made me open. 1st ball got bat on ball through the covers, 'haven't lost it' i thought until i set off for the runs and pulled my hamstring and ended up in a heap on the floor. managed to stay in for 10 overs but only scored 6 runs. next week played and opened again made 64 and was completely knackered, if we had batted 1st i wouldn't have been able to field. as it was i couldn't walk for 3 days. got the bug back though and have signed to play next season. winter nets start in feb so hopefully enough time to get fit. the team are a bunch of youngsters that couldn't get regular games for metrogas kids team so they broke away and made a 'lads and dads sunday side'. do you still play?
  • Options
    35 average, not bad , england might be giving you a call up
    yeah i've been playing for old shootershillians, broadwalk, topend of samuel montagues ground... it's a mixture of old metrogas, phoenix and vcd i think created in 2001. i've been playing for the saturday seconds we won the league this year but can't get promoted cos our facilities are so chaff but really enjoy it cos you can get away with being a bit unfit in cricket. for one league game i was second youngest in our team that averaged 48years old!!
  • Options
    shoots is our home ground next year (sundays only). thats who i scored 64 against. a bloke called mick is trying to get me to play for you lot on saturdays. he told me that you were going into the kent league next year, then i saw the track and thought 'f**k me! i wouldn't fancy facing anyone half quick on that'. i'm not surprised you got knocked back.
    the side i played against had 2 (ageing) opening bowlers 1 of whom i think played for an england heart transplant XI or something. he was bang on a length from the off, not quick, but on that track caused enough problems. i think your 1st XI captain (is it richard) played for us in the 1st match. tall fella. i bet he loves bowling there.
  • Options
    yeah that's our lot and that's our dodgey track. it is a bit of a bowlers paradise and big rich was top wicket taker down there last year. i haven't bowled for a couple of years now , i scored 50 plus in one game and all of a sudden i was a batsmen not a bowler. not a bad bunch of fellas down there , quite a few charlton fans plus the odd weirdo you get at cricket clubs. saturday seconds is alright not a bad standard and still a bit of a laugh but the firsts is very serious. it's up to you tho cos we're always short of a class batsmen
  • Options
    Any of you lot used to go down the old roan club....... my dad used to play loads of cricket and football down there.... I used to just hang around trying to get the odd game of pool in and a glass of coke, as a little en.......
  • Options
    mascot88 - how long ago was that ?

used to play and drink down there from about 1991 (year I left John Roan) for about 6/7 years, haven't been down there for a while but still know alot of the people who play and drink there.

Play against alot of them on Sundays now.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    too long, like 20 years ago........
    Me and My brother spent loads of summers down there while my dad was playing football and having a few after the match...... yeah about twenty years ago.... I think my dad was once vice chairman or something.... he went to Roan as well....