Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should We Go Wingless On Occasions?

We have two of the best full backs in this League going forward. Lloyd Sam seems to have lost his way in the last few weeks. So, why not cut our cloth accordingly and try 3/5 (depending on how you look at it) at the back. Something like this:

................................................Elliot..............................................

................................................Dailly.............................................

Richardson................Llera/Basey....................Sodje........................Youga

..............................................Semedo.............................................

.................Racon........................................Bailey...............................

..............................................Shelvey..............................................

..............................................Burton................................................

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I agree with that but I don't think we need to sacrifice a striker for a defender. I've long thought that with the players we have we should play with a midfield diamond and let the full backs provide the width.

I'd go for the same midfield formation that you suggest but with a back 4 and 2 strikers. JJ playing in the "hole", Semedo playing the holding role just in front of the back 4.
  • Options
    Any team with 12 has to have more chance surely? I'd have thought Llera and Basey would just keep getting in each others way palying that close.
  • Options
    I'd go along with BDV on that....would be interesting to see. No way in this league should we need 5 defenders (even if the full back push forward a bit, the holding midfielder (Semedo) would be adequate.
  • Options
    Or even

...........................................Elliot..............................................

Richardson................Dailly....................Sodje........................Youga

..........................................Semedo.............................................

................... Racon......................................Bailey...............................

...........................................Shelvey..............................................

...................................Mcleod.........Burton................................................
  • Options
    Not sure how that's any different but hey, it looks good to me! ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]Not sure how that's any different but hey, it looks good to me! ;o)
    just read your comment sorry BDV, agree though it is a great idea!
  • Options
    Not sure bout this as we play in a league were allot of teams just play long balls and have no clue about passing the ball on the ground. So i would say no as if we let people get free runs down ouor wing and get crosses into the box one will go in cos our defense aint great apart from sodje but i just think that would leave us to open to long balls.
  • Options
    Sam might not be on fire like he was earlier in the season, he may be playing carrying an injury - but he's still a very important outlet when we're under pressure.

Good 1st touch, can receive balls to feet and turn, can run at defenders, cause mayhem in their defence and provides the unpredictable element that most in the team lack.

He also defends and covers Richardson very well.

Opponents are well wary of him, frequently doubling up which creates space for others to get forward.
    He might not be having the direct match winning impact that he created before - but I shouldn't underestimate his contribution.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Sam might not be on fire like he was earlier in the season, he may be playing carrying an injury - but he's still a very important outlet when we're under pressure.

Good 1st touch, can receive balls to feet and turn, can run at defenders, cause mayhem in their defence and provides the unpredictable element that most in the team lack.

He also defends and covers Richardson very well.

Opponents are well wary of him, frequently doubling up which creates space for others to get forward.
    He might not be having the direct match winning impact that he created before - but I shouldn't underestimate his contribution.

Couldn't have put it better myself Oggy, but please don't forget his goal-assists, I thank-you ;-)
  • Options
    Sam doesn't/hasn't looked fit in the last few matches and I presume he's carrying an injury, hence Parky is subbing him in every match for Wagstaff, it may be that whatever his injury is that it'll mean that he'll miss a match or two and then what do we do? Start with Wagstaff or go wingless or draft in a loanee?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do wonder if I'm watching the same match as other people sometimes.

Sam had two markers on him for virtually the whole match against Gillingham. Richardson missed almost all the second half which meant Sam had to assume more defensive duties than usual as Kelly Youga was in an unfamiliar position. Yet still I heard fans shouting "Sam you lazy b****** you've done f*** all!"

Lloyd didn't have his best ever match against Gillingham for sure but in the context of the situation of the team as a whole he put in a reasonable shift.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I do wonder if I'm watching the same match as other people sometimes.

Sam had two markers on him for virtually the whole match against Gillingham. Richardson missed almost all the second half which meant Sam had to assume more defensive duties than usual as Kelly Youga was in an unfamiliar position. Yet still I heard fans shouting "Sam you lazy b****** you've done f*** all!"

Lloyd didn't have his best ever match against Gillingham for sure but in the context of the situation of the team as a whole he put in a reasonable shift.

Good job I didn't hear 'em !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I do wonder if I'm watching the same match as other people sometimes.

Just to be clear, I'm not slagging off Sam. My point is that if you look at our squad of players, I think that it would suit a diamond system.

We have 2 attacking full backs, no nature left midfield player and it would allow us to play 2 strikers and have JJ in the side.

I just think it gives us other options.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Unfortunately Sam seems to be one of those players who has to stand out and have a great game to get any praise from some fans.

Sometimes it seems he's expected to take on and beat defenders with ease, then put in a perfect cross to at times just one player in the box. At this level he does his job well. He has his weaknesses but at least he has a fairly all round game compared to the likes of Ambrose, Thomas and Rommedhal.

Do agree with Oggy that he offers an outlet, helps out defensively and with the other things he says he offers.

As for the diamond is possible (the 4-4-2 one, not with Dailly as a sweeper), but I would worry about us defending out wide especially if a team get their full backs forward. Also leaves out Sam who is useful because he offers very different things to other midfielders, most of who prefer to pass the ball around than run with it.
  • Options
    I believe Lloydie get's unfair stick because of his body language, his posture can sometimes look as if he can't be bothered & those flippy floppy hands of his don't help matters, but that aside, he does a lot of work on the wing which is not always appreciated & when he understandingly runs out of steam he obviously get's subbed (around the 79th minute). Love you Lloydie x
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Even as appears Sam isn't fully fit, Parky evidently considers we're a better team by starting him.

Waggy offers a more direct, speedy, hard running approach ..... ideal for the quick breakaway against tiring defenders late in the game.

I've also been impressed with Waggy's application defensively. Anyway, horses for courses and all that.

If injuries take their toll of atacking midfielders, I've often wondered whether Sam could play more centrally as a midfield schemer/in the hole type player (say if Racon or Bailey wasn't fit) with Waggy wide alongside.....?

I remember Sam putting in a very decent shift as a deep lying central forward home to Blackburn in the Prem, when Uncle Les was manager. He pulled defenders around easily, created loads of space and was always a threat in and around the box ...... just a thought.
  • Options
    Good point about that Blackburn match Oggy. I remember that one too.

Sam also looked good (for a while!) in the 5-0 debacle at White Hart Lane under Uncle Les' management in a similar role.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]If injuries take their toll of atacking midfielders, I've often wondered whether Sam could play more centrally as a midfield schemer/in the hole type player (say if Racon or Bailey wasn't fit) with Waggy wide alongside.....?

I remember Sam putting in a very decent shift as a deep lying central forward home to Blackburn in the Prem, when Uncle Les was manager. He pulled defenders around easily, created loads of space and was always a threat in and around the box ...... just a thought.

When I read that first line I was going to say he played there against Blackburn. I have a feeling it would suit him more than Bailey or Racon, so could be an alternative and different type of player to Shelvey in that role.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Conjecture I know, assuming Semedo plays the anchor but if say Racon was missing then Jonjo could play Racon's role and Sam could play JJ's 4-4-1-1 role in the hole ..... and the width being supplied by pacy strong running from Waggy.

It could be a very effective pass and move game, with Sam centrally providing the unpredictable element linking midfield on the floor with Burton.

Again, just brainstorming different options and wondering if some could work?
  • Options
    Like it oggy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Conjecture I know, assuming Semedo plays the anchor but if say Racon was missing then Jonjo could play Racon's role and Sam could play JJ's 4-4-1-1 role in the hole ..... and the width being supplied by pacy strong running from Waggy.

It could be a very effective pass and move game, with Sam centrally providing the unpredictable element linking midfield on the floor with Burton.

Again, just brainstorming different options and wondering if some could work?

Sam would give us more pace alongside Burton than Shelvey, so it could even be useful late on in games, not just from the start.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing that. Sam isn't the most composed player in front of goal himself, and probably not quite as quick than McLeod, but I can't see how he'd do any worse than him. Better touch, better dribbler and more likely to set up a chance for team mate. Wagstaff now plays with more confidence than he did when Pardew used him and he's better off getting experience in League One than the odd Championship game, which was probably a step too far for him.
  • Options
    The problem with this, is that it's easier to defend against a narrow, flooded midfield and relies on the fullbacks covering a lot of ground which leaves gaps. Maybe more effective for closing down games rather than matches at home that we should be winning.
  • Options
    Wagstaff up top in place of burton works a dream on FIFA but really wouldn't in the real world ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Wagstaff up top in place of burton works a dream on FIFA but really wouldn't in the real world ;o)
    That's why you should test it out on FM not FIFA ;-)