Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notts County?? Is it me, or has the world gone completely mad?

Comments

• Options
    Hope this is true, I've backed them to win the League at 20-1
  • Options
    Woner what Myles Weston makes of it all.
  • Options
    Bet Pardew is gutted...he might have had his eye on that one!!
  • Options
    I'm not so sure about the wisdom of buying a League One/Two club and chucking money at it to buy success.

The players they want are likely going to be playing at CCC level (or above), are they likely to drop a league or two, even for more wages? And if they do are they likely to put in a decent season long shift? In the meantime there are a lot of players at the club who'll be on markedly lower wages and they are going to resent seeing a lot of players come in on higher wages.
  • Options
    now announced Sven Goran Erikson going there 3 days a week a direcotr of football

i kid u not
  • Options
    He's heard the rumour that there's more women to men in Nottingham. Not true, by the way (relates to the days of the lace industry).

I imagine he'll go to Hooters before the game.
  • Options
    I lived in Nottingham for 5 years and I remember putting cash in a bucket to help them survive (a mate of mine, a geordie, put £50 in!). As such, I am glad that if it happens to anyone, then why not them (I know, I won't be saying that when they beat us in however many months time...). The Forest fans must be gutted, they are about to know what it must have been like being Notts County all these years - the 2nd team in a 2 team city!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]He's heard the rumour that there's more women to men in Nottingham. Not true, by the way (relates to the days of the lace industry).

It was still true in the early 80s though. Uni and Poly had a female bias. We used to go for 'executive away weekends' when we were playing Forest, or more likely Notts County or Mansfield, stayed in the Flying Horse in the centre.

I'm sabotaging my own thread here :-)

I mean can this lot be real? Why Notts County? Why??? And didn't they notice that Zabeel pulled out of the purchase of a much more attractive club, benefitting from Olympic and London Gateway potential, because of the global financial crisis?

I'm going to examine my Nespresso capsules for signs of tampering. :-)
  • Options
    The 'more women than men' thing was only true for a small part of the nineteenth century (due to an influx of skilled female labour) - it is now an urban myth!

Notts County are the founder members of the football league, I believe. That could be why......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to them I say !
  • Options
    And me too!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]And me too!

Sure. But if these guys are for real, why didnt they want to buy us?

Or perhaps a better question : why is it so damn hard to buy us?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]a geordie, put £50 in!

Gotta be a lie!
  • Options
    Apparently he's after an office near hooters...
  • Options
    PragueAddick quote:

"Sure. But if these guys are for real, why didnt they want to buy us?

Or perhaps a better question : why is it so damn hard to buy us?"

Because of the size of the debt? OK, best not to go there.....

I do think we probably overrate ourselves, probably like most supporters. Looking at things from outside, does London really need and can it support another big club? Particularly in South London where no club has ever been big - no club has ever won anything except a single FA cup to us. Don't know why that is (maybe due to poor transport links or one of the other reasons usually put forward) but it shows no signs of changing. The Olympic thing is a red herring.

I admit this does not entirely explain Notts County but I think there are many clubs ahead of Charlton in the 'why not us' queue, not least Notts Forest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 24 Red[/cite]I do think we probably overrate ourselves, probably like most supporters. Looking at things from outside, does London really need and can it support another big club? Particularly in South London where no club has ever been big - no club has ever won anything except a single FA cup to us. Don't know why that is (maybe due to poor transport links or one of the other reasons usually put forward) but it shows no signs of changing. The Olympic thing is a red herring.

Well I agree with you. I was being ironic about our London status. Didn't you read "David Smith" here a few days ago, explaining that as a reason why we are worth more than Southampton?

On the other hand try to imagine the conversation in Dubai or wherever this consortium comes from, when the idea is first floated. If you came up with it as an idea for a film script it could only possibly work as a comedy.
  • Options
    You do have to wonder what unlikely chain of events leads to the door of Notts County. Maybe someone has a strange sense of humour over at Munto Finance.

Also, I see that the Notts County Supporters Trust gifted their shareholding to the new owners. There's something for the agenda.
  • Options
    You've got to love old Sven really. A man who knows what he wants - birds and money!
  • Options
    Perhaps Notts County because they have a bit of kudos for being the World's oldest league club. Or (less likely) for being the original source of Juventus' stripey kit. Or (less likey still) being the first Second Division side to win the FA Cup. Or (really scraping the bottom of the barrel now) for being the first team to score a hat trick in a Cup Final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]You've got to love old Sven really. A man who knows what he wants - birds and money!

Must tell you the Martyn Simmons story one day.........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]You've got to love old Sven really. A man who knows what he wants - birds and money!

And you never have, Offy ..... ?

;o)
  • Options
    Good luck County it's going to be a mad ride. Let's hope that it's not just a rich mans toy that he discards when he is fed up with it all.
  • Options
    Whenever I got the chance Oggy, whenever I got the chance.

Not now of course. Settled with kids and couldn't even raise a smile ....... But back in the day .......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Whenever I got the chance Oggy, whenever I got the chance.

Not now of course. Settled with kids and couldn't even raise a smile ....... But back in the day .......

Ah, yes ......... back in the day, when I was a lad ........

You try telling the kids of today, and do you know, they won't believe you !

;o)
  • Options
    It does all seem a bit surreal and I have a nagging "wish it was us, why can't it be us?, what was so wrong with us last year?" mantra flowing through my brain. Any kind of positive takeover would be welcome right now. As for Notts County- I say after all their fans have been through- good luck to them and I wish them well, it will be amusing for them to put Forest in the shade and the reality is that within a few years that could really happen.
  • Options
    sven's comments on ssn saying 'he wanted to return to the premier league but is doing it the difficult way' - bizarre! How's he going to get Notts County to the Prem by being 'Director of Football'? Is he going to get out his black book of players like he did at man city, and say to the manager, "oi, go and tell the chairman you want to buy him, him, him and him, they'll all come to county 'cos of me". I'd like to see how this 'revolution' works......
  • Options
    Today's signing of Lee Hughes might just damage some of that "good luck to them" sentiment.
  • Options
    This has to go down as the strangest thing Ive ever come across in football.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Till I Cry[/cite]This has to go down as the strangest thing Ive ever come across in football.

Probably the strangest thing since we signed Alan Simonsen :-)