Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What went wrong?

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
I have been a very loyal supporter of the board for many years, but the decisions made this season look very foolish.

Having had one manager for 15 years the fact is that the board lack recent experience of managing change. Having identified a structure which has served well for so long, the decision was made to throw this all away to adopt a radical new system which has hardly been tested in the English game. Having put this structure in place the board then made a further error in appointing a head coach who, in retrospect, was not the right man. They then promote an entirely untested deputy to the senior role, and that can hardly be seen as a success. To offer a three year contract was extraordinary - the only explanation I can think of was that Les insisted on it and wouldn't take the job unless the board showed their faith in that fashion. That could explain the contract delay as they considered their options.

It is fair comment to blame the players for underperformance and lack of motivation and belief. However, a lot of the players criticised were here last year. Motivation, psychology, coaching methods etc all make a difference no matter how "professional" the palyers should be.

Rather than establishing a bullet proof system to promote continuity, this episode has been characterised by too much change too soon, with no attempt to assess impact. This year was far too important for Mr Murray to engage in "blue sky thinking" regarding the running of a model club. We are lead to believe that the board were split on some of these decisions, we can only wonder what might have been. Sadly I think that there is no remedy available to save the club. It is too late, the damage is done.

I hope we survive in the championship.

Comments