Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Varney on Sky Sports News

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
On the Charlton website (and some other boards) it says that Peter Varney will 'make a statement' on Sky Sports News this afternoon. Is this today (Wednesday) - its not clear?

Comments

• Options
    Be interesting to see what they say, anyone got any idea what time SSN will be showing this?
  • Options
    about time someone stuck their head above the parapet.
  • Options
    it shouldn't be Varney though, it should be Murray.
  • Options
    Well according to some people on here he must be announcing his defection to West Ham :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]it shouldn't be Varney though, it should be Murray.

it should be the whole squad - apologising
  • Options
    I can't find this reported anywhere else and the website doesn't say so either UNLESS it's on the ticker which I can't get up. Anyone confirm this as true ??
  • Options
    and standing on the naughty step outside Sparrows Lane
  • Options
    it's on the ticker
  • Options
    He might be advertising a substantial discount on players for the new year sales?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I can't find this reported anywhere else and the website doesn't say so either UNLESS it's on the ticker which I can't get up. Anyone confirm this as true ??[/quote]

Yes - its on the ticker
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently it has been advertised on hotdealsuk.com, that if you go on the official CAFC website, then go to the purchase player link, click on players required, then at the checkout enter promotional code "shower of shit" you get a 99% discount on asking price. Players unable to be dispached untill 01/01/2007.
  • Options
    LOL.
  • Options
    LOL, quality
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: cafc-west[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I can't find this reported anywhere else and the website doesn't say so either UNLESS it's on the ticker which I can't get up. Anyone confirm this as true ??

Yes - its on the ticker

wasn't doubting you. For some reason my PC at work doesn't load the ticker.
  • Options
    The ticker on the official site actually says that Sky Sports will interview Varney this afternoon, not that he will "make a statement".

Also the same ticker advertises hospitality packages for the Wycombe game, so obviously not updated this moring. The comment probably refers to an interview in advance of the cup match.
  • Options
    Is it this from the OS?
    Charlton chief executive Peter Varney has promised money will be available for the club to invest in new players in the January transfer window.

The declaration came as he carried out a series of television interviews with Sky Sports News and BBC London at The Valley on Wednesday morning.

Varney apologised to fans following the previous night's shock exit in the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup to League Two side Wycombe Wanderers, but appealed for supporters to continue to back the club.Charlton chief executive Peter Varney has promised money will be available for the club to invest in new players in the January transfer window.

The declaration came as he carried out a series of television interviews with Sky Sports News and BBC London at The Valley on Wednesday morning.

Varney apologised to fans following the previous night's shock exit in the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup to League Two side Wycombe Wanderers, but appealed for supporters to continue to back the club.

The "full story" link is broken.
  • Options
    In fact, all the news stories on the OS have gone down.

What a fcuking shambles.
  • Options
    OS up & running and carrying quote from Varney following media interviews WEDNESDAY MORNING - understands fans frustrations but give management our support, funds available and blames players for last night
  • Options
    All this talk about the players that Les will bring in to make his own team etc rather ignores the fact that there are 3 games and 9 points up for grabs before the window opens. There are then a further 4 games, or 12 points, available while it is open. Invariably there will be a settling in period for any new player. Even if they hit the ground running there will be 20 points which have drifted by before they make an impact.

It is all too fatalistic old Reg harping on about the transfer window. It is too little, too late. My worry now is whether we can survive in the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need action now - Les has to go now.
    Also no point throwing good money after bad in January.
    We need to flog / offload expensive underperformers now eg. Traore, Faye, Rommedahl etc. if possible - and I am afraid to say Dazz too if we can bank £10 for him (ie. sell for over £12.5M I think, given Ipswich's cut).

Get in some championship players and a loan (or two if we let Carson return) and build for next season, whilst fighting for at least some pride this season even if staying up is unlikely.

If Les Reed stays then staying up is impossible, he has "lost" the players and we will not get a single point whilst he remains.
  • Options
    And OS won't run full quotes even though the interviews were given THIS MORNING.

Beyond belief. Be honest with your fans, for fuck's sake.
  • Options
    apparantley he is on talk shoite sometime between 7 & 10 tonight.
    but you know the babble he will come out with.
  • Options
    Hmmm... great, a night listening to a radio station for cretins.

I think I'll take myself off to the pub instead.
  • Options
    Varney came across well on Talk Sport
  • Options
    What did he say dude??
  • Options
    Just quite candid, wanted to say what the story is with Dowie, but can't, slagged the players off, back Les Reed.

And now we've got someone from CASC claiming they know players, and slagging the club off
  • Options
    Varney would have some credibility if he could explain why the board is continuing to back Les Reed. Everybody can see that the team is now ten times worse than under Dowie, so on what basis can the board continue to back Reed? They seem to have adopted a classic stance of denial: if we keep saying that Reed is a good coach then it will all be alright in the end. Unfortunately the facts of the situation do not support their entrenched stance.

Sounds like we are going to have an even more than normal dispirited bunch of players on Saturday. How the hell has this situation been allowed to develop? I am afraid that our board have a lot to answer for.