Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Didn't post last night

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
because I would have said more than I wanted to in condemnation of those fans berating Reed and to some extent, although I think they are wrong, I understand why it happened.

Les Reed had the balls to take on a divided team rooted to the bottom of the Premiership, a team of somebody elses making namely Dowie. A man should not be condemned for that and I think as fans we behaved disgracefully towards him.

Regarding the "You're not fit to wear the shirt " chants, more justified than having a go at Les but counter productive in my view. I watched the players and they looked at each other shrugged their shoulders and took their feet off the gas even more in my opinion. Encouragement beats destructive criticism everytime in my book.

Whilst losing to Wycombe (who deserve a lot of credit) is embarrassing at least no league points were at stake. What concerns me after that display from the fans is whether Reed or the players will be able to mentally lift themselves for Boro and the other Christmas games. We need to be united as fans and get behind the team even if they frustrate the hell out of us.

Regarding Les: he has intimated he will be bringing players in during January. They will be HIS players and if things do not improve then maybe I will be critical of him.

I was disappointed with my fellow fans last night although I could understand it. If we love the Club though we MUST get behind it.

Comments

• Options
    good post.....not sure at the moment I share your thoughts as still pretty livid after last night, but I know that come the Fulham game (and with a belly full of lager as I ain't at work all next week) I'll be cheering them to the hilt........well from the beginning of the game anyway...
  • Options
    Les, i really wish i could be more like you mate. How you always manage to seek out the good in people, look desperately for and concentrate on the positives, even if there are few on offer.

You've got a fantastic attitude fella.
  • Options
    I think it is harsh to say Reed has taken on a team of Dowies making. It is still a team of Curbs' making.
  • Options
    Let's give Reed a chance to ring what changes he can & see how 'His Team' get on. I think people may be surprised with the type of players we get in January.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]I think it is harsh to say Reed has taken on a team of Dowies making. It is still a team of Curbs' making.

spot on CS
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Let's give Reed a chance to ring what changes he can & see how 'His Team' get on. I think people may be surprised with the type of players we get in January.

How many players is he going to bring in though? He can't change the entire squad and clearly the ones that are there couldn't give a toss about the manager. Is he going to replace all of them?
  • Options
    apart from Carson, D. Bent, Reid, Sam & Kish................I wish he would :-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]It is still a team of Curbs' making.

no,i think you will find that his side is quietly amassing at upton park.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeakeysRocket[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]It is still a team of Curbs' making.

no,i think you will find that his side is quietly amassing at upton park.

thats Pard's side though, surely?
  • Options
    We all know he's going to bring players in in January BUT we have Boro, Fulham and Villa games coming before bloody January. These three games we need to win to have any chance of survival cos look at the run of games we have after that!

If we were a decent team these next three games would be winnable but as it stands im saying a great big fat "Nil Poin"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and no-one will come in b4 Arsenal either so that's another to write off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]because I would have said more than I wanted to in condemnation of those fans berating Reed and to some extent, although I think they are wrong, I understand why it happened.

Les Reed had the balls to take on a divided team rooted to the bottom of the Premiership, a team of somebody elses making namely Dowie. A man should not be condemned for that and I think as fans we behaved disgracefully towards him.

Regarding the "You're not fit to wear the shirt " chants, more justified than having a go at Les but counter productive in my view. I watched the players and they looked at each other shrugged their shoulders and took their feet off the gas even more in my opinion. Encouragement beats destructive criticism everytime in my book.

Whilst losing to Wycombe (who deserve a lot of credit) is embarrassing at least no league points were at stake. What concerns me after that display from the fans is whether Reed or the players will be able to mentally lift themselves for Boro and the other Christmas games. We need to be united as fans and get behind the team even if they frustrate the hell out of us.

Regarding Les: he has intimated he will be bringing players in during January. They will be HIS players and if things do not improve then maybe I will be critical of him.

I was disappointed with my fellow fans last night although I could understand it. If we love the Club though we MUST get behind it.

Agree that Les took some uncalled for stick last night especially when booed on catching the ball. As for the players, they deserved the abuse, and who knows it may make them think. How else can we let them know how we feel, a polite email maybe ? And disappointed with the fans ? Not as half as I was disappointed with the players. Since 1972 I've seen worse teams but never such a bunch of inept, spiritless, gutless, spineless wasters (D Bent,Holland,Carson excluded).
  • Options
    In his haste to catch the ball, i had visions of him either:

a. dropping it
    b. losing balance and falling over

I would not boo him, and thought it was wrong, but if either of those had happened i think i would still be laughing now !
  • Options
    I thought the Booing of Reed was completely un-acceptable last night, as were the Pardew chants, had no problem whith the 'not fit to wear the shirts' as that was aimed at the players who are 90% responsible for the sh*t we are now in. I even had some complete twat slagging off carson behind me last night, i for once actually bit & let him know what I thought of him.
  • Options
    i think the booing was unfortunate.it seems to be more apparant week by week that reed is rapidly taking us backwards.he has been moved into a position that from the outside looks that he is the right man in the wrong job.
  • Options
    Carson, of all of them, would be the one you could most accept as being uninterested in our fate, as a loanee, but the opposite is in fact the case. He looks as if he cares and for that he is topman. If I were Rafa I'd be pleased his still with us as he'd never experience anything like this at Anfield and it can only stand him in good stead for the rest of his long and glittering career. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    "Regarding Les: he has intimated he will be bringing players in during January. They will be HIS players and if things do not improve then maybe I will be critical of him."

That's all very well but we will be relegated by the time these players, if any are nuts enough to come to us anyway.

Bottom line is this bunch of spineless players aren't/wont play for Les Reed.

All this happy clappy stuff about booing or not booing Les is immaterial if/when we go down.

I have yet to see anyone mention which bunker Richard Murray has run off to. He seemed more than happy to take the limelight whilst signing all these players, yet when it's gone tits up we see Reg shoved out for interviews.
  • Options
    So you would have Richard Murray confront the Stella drinkin Yoof in the Car Park demanding their money back last night? No didn't think so. I have no problem with any criticism you have on the team as it is perfectly justified. Criticism of the coach who inherited two diferent managers players & a Board who have taken us where we are today from where we are yesteryear is well wide of the mark in my opinion.
    Did you go to the 1-4 hammering we got from bottom of the table Cardiff City on a Tuesday night at the Valley in the Old Divions One back in '85 in front of less that 5,000 (I think) cos that's how bad we used to be that I can remember, we have come a long way since then. Lashing out at the Board & Murray in particular will get us nowhere that is for sure.
  • Options
    Don't try and mug me off mate, I've done my time.

5/3/84 1-4 Fat Jim Stannard in goal. Was my 14 birthday that day. Took 2 schoolmates along, when I was the only Charlton fan in my class and about on 5 Charlton fans in the whole school.

Remember hearing Robert Lee's penalty as I was trudging up Charlton Church Lane...

All our opinions are different, however if you think the board have done a great job since Curbs left and also think that Reed is beyond *any* criticism I think your well wide of the mark/nuts.

But thats opinions.

Any more trick questions???

Was YOU at the Brighton 7-1??

Hahaha
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]So you would have Richard Murray confront the Stella drinkin Yoof in the Car Park demanding their money back last night?
    No didn't think so. I have no problem with any criticism you have on the team as it is perfectly justified. Criticism of the coach who inherited two diferent managers players & a Board who have taken us where we are today from where we are yesteryear is well wide of the mark in my opinion.
    Did you go to the 1-4 hammering we got from bottom of the table Cardiff City on a Tuesday night at the Valley in the Old Divions One back in '85 in front of less that 5,000 (I think) cos that's how bad we used to be that I can remember, we have come a long way since then. Lashing out at the Board & Murray in particular will get us nowhere that is for sure.

Ray Wilkins went out & spoke face to face with Millwall fans after a so called 'protest'. Although it solved nothing, it went a long way to calming the situation.

The difference there is that we knew we had a pony team then. Now we're supposed to have the best team we've ever had..................& no amount of rose tinted can make me see them as anything other than a bunch of passionless ponces robbing the Club I love of our hard fought money.

Still angry btw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]So you would have Richard Murray confront the Stella drinkin Yoof in the Car Park demanding their money back last night? No didn't think so. I have no problem with any criticism you have on the team as it is perfectly justified. Criticism of the coach who inherited two diferent managers players & a Board who have taken us where we are today from where we are yesteryear is well wide of the mark in my opinion.

Sorry but criticism of the Board is very much justified when they have spent the entire season staggering from one bad decision to the next.
  • Options
    ScoSco
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Sorry but criticism of the Board is very much justified when they have spent the entire season staggering from one bad decision to the next.

I have done that - a pub crawl in Bexleyheath is never a good idea.
  • Options
    "Was YOU at the Brighton 7-1"

Well it was a bit better than the 7-0 that I went to ........
  • Options
    Everyone blames the players it seems but they didn't just end up as employees of CAFC by accident. Who signed them? Who watched them play? Who checked out their characters?

Why did it take us three months to sign Mark Kinsella for £150k but Faye/Traore come out of nowhere for £4m total? £4m!
  • Options
    To be fair to the board the reason that the Kinsella signing was delayed back in summer 1996 was because Colchester wanted cold hard £200,000 in cash upfront and we quite literally did not have any money to pay them with.
    So, it was not until later in the year when we had some cash on board that we were able to pay them for him just before he was about to sign for Gillingham!
    Those were the days when we used to actually think long and hard about when and how we spent our money.