Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The kids are not good enough

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
they go out on loan and hardly ever perform. Ali John didn't even get off the bench for Brighton at the weekend. Ok James Walker seemed to do well but that is an exception but he is in League 1 after all. All too often they go on loan and only ever make sub appearances. Surely they should be going to these clubs and playing regularly. None ever come back and forge a future with us, Parker excepted. You can only conclude that they are not good enough and once released by us they generally go on to confirm that this is the case. I can't think of a single player that has been released in the last 10/15 years that has come back to haunt us.

Comments

• Options
    Leroy Rosenior
    Danny Shittu
    Southampton goalie?
  • Options
    Wasn't Primus, centre half at Pompey, realeased by us?
  • Options
    yes
  • Options
    primus is probably the only one who has gone on. You're right large, i've said it before, its easy to say chuck in the kids, but if the kids aren't good enough then you're in an even bigger whole.
  • Options
    There was a huge article in The Times about the state of the academy set ups in England and that the kids just aren't getting a chance to break through due to the pressure for results in the PL and that its easier / safer for a manager to go a buy the finished article on the continent than throw a youngster in.

We aren't alone
  • Options
    I think we're alone now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]I think we're alone now.

There doesnt seem to be anyone around
  • Options
    I remeber a few years back that Myles Weston was playing for England school boys and he was supposed to be a Very good Prospect as are alot of out young players over the years. But the club seem to be lacking the coaching qualities to bring these players on.
  • Options
    But a pebble without flaw is still no diamond.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ns_eb_rj_s?[/cite]I remeber a few years back that Myles Weston was playing for England school boys and he was supposed to be a Very good Prospect as are alot of out young players over the years. But the club seem to be lacking the coaching qualities to bring these players on.

we here it year in year out.
    so and so is in the rep of ireland under 15's
    so and so is in the england under 17's
    so and so has played for his country at all schoolboy age groups
    so and so is on the bench for the reserves and he is only 16

the academy isn't working now and i think varney may be right when saying they might start closing.
    if ours closes, will they stop valley gold? as this was meant to help fund it once we returned to SE7.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spot on large. People talking about getting the kids involved is pointless if their not up to the task.
  • Options
    It's not just us, Who was the last decent player to come from the Man Utd or Arsenal Youth System.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spector? ;)
  • Options
    Large make your bloody mind up. Few weeks ago you was the one going on about the youngsters being given their chance
  • Options
    Arf,

all I'm saying is that it doesn't look as though any of them are good enough. I mean Lloyd Sam has done well recently but he's over 21 and by then could have been in the first team for three years already. Walker,John etc are not good enough to even play for League 2 teams on loan. If they are good enough then play them which Dowie/Reed have said they would. Give Gislason a go tonight even Basey. Basey, IMO, is far better already than Ashton who is a couple of years older than him and if so promote him above Ashton. If Rooney had been at Charlton he'd probably only just made his debut.
  • Options
    i heard the other day that our academy costs us about £2m a year. iv'e got to ask is this money well spent. what/who has really made an impact from our ranks lately.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]i heard the other day that our academy costs us about £2m a year. iv'e got to ask is this money well spent. what/who has really made an impact from our ranks lately.

Sankofa
    ?
    Sam
    ?
  • Options
    I keep hearing about this youngster coming through the youth team ranks - gonna be a world beater they reckon

i think his name is Lizbee or something like that
  • Options
    Sankofa impressed me 2nd half the other night. I didn't think he was going to be good enough for this level from what i have already seen, but he is going to get a run of a few games to bed in, and he might seem a different player in a month's time.

I think Pardew will encourage him to get forward more, which i think will suit him.
  • Options
    Well it took Luke Warm about four seasons to bed into the right back spot didn't it? So I think we should give the lad a bit more than four games.
    Joking aside I think his confidence will grow and we'll see him take players on (and beat them!) I also noticed he's not afraid to to sling a ball into the box from a deeper position. Good to see Ambrose getting back to help him out too.