Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
must be a bit brassed off.

He came to us, supposedly to better himself, and finds himself in division 3 whilst his old club could be in the Prem next season. Not forgetting a play off final at the new Wembley.

Still he probably earns more with us than he did at Burnley which sugars the pill I daresay.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]He came to us, supposedly to better himself, and finds himself in division 3 whilst his old club could be in the Prem next season. Not forgetting a play off final at the new Wembley.
    ouch
    He has had much worse to worry about this year though to be fair.
  • Options
    don't see why he would have any reason to be brassed off

one of the main reasons we are in Division 3 is because he has been such a letdown - both last season when he arrived and also this season, personal circumstances acknowledged
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]don't see why he would have any reason to be brassed off

one of the main reasons we are in Division 3 is because he has been such a letdown - both last season when he arrived and also this season, personal circumstances acknowledged

I really don't think he is one of the main reasons we are in Div 3
  • Options
    There are many, many reasons why we are in Div 3, but I would certainly include replacing Big Chris with Andy Gray as one of them...
  • Options
    You sure about that? Didin't we buy Gray last January and then sell Iwelumo in the summer?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]You sure about that? Didin't we buy Gray last January and then sell Iwelumo in the summer?

Technically, yes, but Big Chris hardly played second half of the season, and was sold because we had Gray - Pards even said as much at one point, if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    even when he signed, gray said that he's not a regular goalscorer but goes through phases of getting goals. I bet pardew didn't think or know that when he signed him.
  • Options
    Pardew said just before signing Gray that he needed to replace Todorov,
    who nobody thought would play again, (they were almost right ....).

At the time, with both Todorov and Reid injured, and Ambrose being injected prior to each match so that he could at least start, we had lost our creative spark .... as witnessed by our almost solitary tactic - hoofing the ball high out of defence somewhere vaguely in the region of Iwelumo.

The idea then, was to have an experienced and intelligent hold up player, so that Varney could feed off him - and no doubt also to chip in particularly with headed goals - but of course, as we all know, crossing delivery was noticebly absent, so little service provided from the wings. Strikers don't tend to score too many without a decent service.

Gray is also an accomplished penalty taker in the mould of Mendonca.

So in theory, Gray ticked all the boxes. It didn't help that the team was underperforming and morale wrecked by a multitude of loan signings. But then nobody, surely even the player himself realised it would be so hard to settle on his own so far from his family, and then his wife developed a life-threatening illness.

He did finish that season strongly, however, lest we forget - in the last few games he scored twice and provided a handful of assists. Then he got injured in the pre-season and tried to shrug it off.

His wife's health deteriorated further and she undertook critical major surgery, but he still had the guts to play despite everything, including not being able to run and turn properly. He was then diagonised with a stress fracture of the pelvis, and had been trying to play on with that injury since the summer.

It might have been a desperate period for Charlton Athletic, but it's not really been a good time for Andy Gray either.
  • Options
    Big Chris played in every game.
  • Options
    soory if im a bit dim why did chris go
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pardew didnt like him. He trained with Palace but was snapped up later by wolves.
  • Options
    cos he scored goals !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Big Chris played in every game.
    but didn't score after Christmas
    wasn't this season with Wolves similar?
  • Options
    good point then again if we dropped players for not doing what there paid to do to we would be playing 5 a side just
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]soory if im a bit dim why did chris go

Pardew said immediately after Iwelumo's transfer to Wolves, that a player needed to be sold to free wages, and that a forward was the most expendable.

It was deemed by Pardew ( but not by Parky, so it's transpired), that Iwelumo was the player most expendable because of his comparatively high wages - but just as significantly, because the team played more of a passing game when Iwelumo was not on the pitch.

Painful memories of the post-Andy Reid period of that season, when the defence just lumped the ball high out of defence bypassing midfield, hopefully towards the heavily marked solitary Iwelumo ..... certainly made the point.

But ........ we missed Big Chris big time last season. We missed his 'have a go' character and his bravery - but we badly missed his goals too.
  • Options
    Big Chris lost his form when Gray came. Simple as.
  • Options
    Basically we were lumping up (pin point Youga accuracy) long balls to him and he was getting totally clatterered trying to get a contact on them, as opposed to Wolves who had wingers who could beat men cross the ball to land on his head and then into the net.
  • Options
    Gray's goal against Birmingham away was pure class, simple as, and I was there to see it :D
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite]Basically we were lumping up (pin point Youga accuracy) long balls to him and he was getting totally clatterered trying to get a contact on them, as opposed to Wolves who had wingers who could beat men cross the ball to land on his head and then into the net.

Exactly, Shrew.

It wasn't so much Big Chris lost form, as you say he was hopelessly outnumbered by defenders outside the box with his back to goal, trying to get underneath a hoofed clearance out of defence, with defenders clambering all over him.

You'd have to be Ronaldino to score goals in those circumstances.

It all went wrong for Iwelumo (and Charlton) when Andy Reid was injured at West Brom - and Iwelumo's service was suddenly cut off.

I'll always remember the winner Big Chris scored at Bristol City that previous November..... in the last minute Fortune laid a dodgy centre circle pass that just reached Reid under challenge, who turned, skipped past 2 tackles and flew down the left wing, and then floated over the most immaculate cross imaginable ..... right on Iwelumo's head, as he came charging in at the far post.

Absolute text book goal, a real picture to see.

And after Reid went, there wasn't really anyone to give Iwelumo that kind of service.
  • Options
    Had a chat with Andy in the meal queue at the Shirt Sponsors' Evening ( as you do ) Seemed genuinely committed to doing the business for us next season & stated he'd be at the Training Ground getting fit for all but the first couple of weeks of the close season.
    Let's hope a fit AG will demonstrate why AP signed him - again, and again , and......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]Had a chat with Andy in the meal queue at the Shirt Sponsors' Evening ( as you do ) Seemed genuinely committed to doing the business for us next season & stated he'd be at the Training Ground getting fit for all but the first couple of weeks of the close season.
    Let's hope a fit AG will demonstrate why AP signed him - again, and again , and......[/quote]
    Here hoping that we actually FORM a Partnership of two syriker in a 442 formation too. :-)
  • Options
    Surely Gray and Burton would be sufficient for division 3 or is that just being condescending (sp) ?
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of them together, might work with good crossers out wide, but would limit the ways in which we could play.

One of them alongside someone quick that likes to get in behind the defence would be ideal.
  • Options
    i think izale and gray for next year can see 30 plus goals and with burton an dicko in reserve
  • Options
    Is Kandol still with us ?
  • Options
    Kandol was a leeds loanee so presumably he i back with them. Would not surprise me if Dicko went during the close season, or Fleetwood or both
  • Options
    Gray would be a very good striker at that level, Mcleod and Dickson able enough as deputisers. Burton is pony as is Fleetwood, so we need one more as a first teamer and IMO someone quick, maybe a loanee from the Premiership.
  • Options
    Gray's a better goalscorer than Burton, but Burton's probably the better all round player. He'd look better alongside a goalscorer with pace so he could hold up the ball and create chances for him.

Parkinson a while ago said he wanted to sign Kandol, but nothings happened yet so he went back to Leeds after our last game.

Don't think we can rely on Dickson, McLeod or Fleetwood next season.

In the end we'll keep some of the strikers here, not sure which ones, but we've got to bring in at least one or two. Maybe that's a good League Two striker, or a young striker on loan from the Prem, will come down to what's the best available that we can afford.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Gray would be a very good striker at that level, Mcleod and Dickson able enough as deputisers. Burton is pony as is Fleetwood, so we need one more as a first teamer and IMO someone quick, maybe a loanee from the Premiership.

valleyman...your take on Burton is open to discussion....to call him pony is somewhat OTT don't you think and you must consider what league we now find ourselves in.
    Another thing you need to think about is that, pony or not, he's probably the best striker we have on the books at this present time.
    We are where we are mate.....you can no longer call a player pony who will most likely do a great job for us in the first division, which is exactly where we are...so my take is that he's a pretty good player by the new standards we are now having to accept.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Kandol was a leeds loanee so presumably he i back with them. Would not surprise me if Dicko went during the close season, or Fleetwood or both

We can but hope.
    McLeod can naff off too.

Gray and/or Burton should be okay in league one , to which we need to add A. Goalscorer (preferably proven, experienced and a strong character)