Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barbados

Ok, following on from the Italy honeymoon thread, I too am in need of assistance from the 'ASK CHARLTON LIFE' website (no question that cannot be answered on there!!!)
I get married in 39 days and we are going Barbados for our honeymoon. We are staying in between Oistins and St lawrence Gap. Has anyone been and have you got any recommended restaurants/bars/clubs/trips etc
Cheers all.

Comments

• Options
    There is a lot of great night life in both of those areas It is where the young scene go out and is quite lively. Please please treat your new wife to dinner at The Cliff restuarant on the West Coast and book now and try and get a table on the edge, they do it in booking order.. It is very pricey but she and you will love it.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We got married there 10 years ago this month, Mark and Izzy were out there at the time, and took us to a place called The Boatyard, outdoor club, pay a reasonable amount to get in then the drinks were inclusive. Enjoyed the night a lot. Might not still be there though.

If you can, do the helicopter ride over the island - it's awesome.

The Pirate Ship trip was a laugh, and the submarine was a good experience, though you don't really get to see that much.
  • Options
    Been a few times. South coast is lively but in my view the West coast has best beaches.

Try the beach bar/restaurant at Mullins Bay on West coast. Good for a lunch or late lunch - its right on the beach and fantastic sunsets. For up-market dining in the evening try the restaurants at Cobblers Cove or Royal Pavillion hotels. The Lone Star restuarant also meant to be good as is The Cliff mentioned above.

You can hire a car and see the island in a day. If you go to the remote north of the island keep your doors locked and dont stop if someone asks you for a lift! A car ride down the East coast is a must.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HardyAddick[/cite]Been a few times. South coast is lively but in my view the West coast has best beaches.

Try the beach bar/restaurant at Mullins Bay on West coast. Good for a lunch or late lunch - its right on the beach and fantastic sunsets. For up-market dining in the evening try the restaurants at Cobblers Cove or Royal Pavillion hotels. The Lone Star restuarant also meant to be good as is The Cliff mentioned above.

You can hire a car and see the island in a day. If you go to the remote north of the island keep your doors locked and dont stop if someone asks you for a lift! A car ride down the East coast is a must.

Enjoy.

I can second the comment re:the Lone Star. Well it was a few years ago anyway. Also if you do the submarine trip hang about at the back of the group as they fill it up from the back. I did and got front row seats.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wife & I went there for our honeymoon and returned for our 10th anniversary.

We stayed at Southern Palms St Lawrence Gap for honeymoon.

Island is not that big so you should hire a jeep for a week minimum and explore.

The tourist beaches get the looky looky men, which are a nuisance. Some even try and get round the hotel pools, but most have security guards to deter them.

West Coast is Carribean and the sea is calm.

East coast is Atlantic and sea is rough as hell. You need to see both.

West Coast is for the rich. Try and get on to the Sandy Lane Hotel beach it's excellent. IF you can blag your way into the hotel check out the gold taps etc in the toilets - unreal. That's where Cilla and the like stay.

I agree with Hardy Addick re Mullins Beach Bar an absolute must for a visit, right on/overlooking the most perfect beach and the cocktails are brilliant.

Try Oistins fish market in the early evening if you want to buy your own fish and eat it there (rough and ready but great atmosphere).

Sam Lord's Castle beach on West coast should be visited, sea is so rough it knocked wife over and pulled down her bikini tops and bottoms on both visits. Amazing undercurrents and bloody dangerous, but massive beach so you don't need to go in the sea.

Be wary of stopping as there were robberies there last time, also beware of the rum punch which is gorgeous but lethal, if you have more than one.

Definitely take the helicopter trip if you can.

Submarine was ok, but you couldn't see a lot other than the sea.

Jolly Roger trip was good.

Women can't go topless on the beach (I think it's illegal) and maybe not round the pool either.

Oh and there is a Monkey park with monkies swinging in the trees all around you and they come up to you.Massive tortoises in there as well.

In summary, you must get around and discover for yourself ,but the highlights for me were also, Mullins, Sandy Lane if you can blag it, Sam Lords Castle and the helicopter trip.

"Push the boat out" if you can because you won't regret it.
  • Options
    Best place i have ever visited we stayed at the Almond Beach Village for our honeymoon and on a return trip with NLJR,

Sandy Lane you can share their beach space as all beaches are public, You must do the helicopter tour of the island the best money i ever spent, go scuba diving

Dont drink the Mothers milk and fire in the hole on the rum tour if you want to remember the day after
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Wife & I went there for our honeymoon and returned for our 10th anniversary.

Dude, that was a long holiday??!! 10 Years!!
  • Options
    thanks guys - notes being taken.
    Googled The Cliff and saw price of $70 per head and thought that was cheap, then went on the official site and it's $200 !!!!
    Will deffo treat to either that or Lone Star then.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

Dont drink the Mothers milk

Ahh.The mothers milk.Served up by that crazy woman at the pool bar at the Almond beach.Proposed to my missus after a night on that .Strong bloody stuff!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]thanks guys - notes being taken.
    Googled The Cliff and saw price of $70 per head and thought that was cheap, then went on the official site and it's $200 !!!!
    Will deffo treat to either that or Lone Star then.

The Lone Star is quite casual and the Cliff isnt. I find the latter much more of a treat .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oistins Fish market has a weekly opening with fresh fish being cooked and served along with beer and rum and a bit of music, certainly the cheapest meal you will get.

If you wife should doze off early I can recomend the mudslide club (lap dancing) some lovely half swedish dancers when I went.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

Dont drink the Mothers milk

Ahh.The mothers milk.Served up by that crazy woman at the pool bar at the Almond beach.Proposed to my missus after a night on that .Strong bloody stuff!!!

you must mean Dorean, that women bought tears of joy and happiness to my holiday where as Mothers Milk nearly killed me never ever drank something that done so much damage to my head
  • Options
    For a nice meal go to Tides in Holetown, was there a couple of weeks ago & the fish is superb.

In answer to someone else The Boatyard is still there, great location didn't go to the club just the restarant which was good.

Be careful in St Lawrence gap it’s a mix of locals & tourists & I felt the atmosphere a little tense at times. Also don't engage with locals trying to sell you stuff !

Otherwise beaches & hotels are superb !
  • Options
    Bump.

Just booked my honeymoon here, staying in the south of the island, anyone been recently, got any "must visits"?
  • Options
    Go on one of the organised snorkeling trips. Fantastic day out.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Bump.

Just booked my honeymoon here, staying in the south of the island, anyone been recently, got any "must visits"?

I should imagine my 2009 comment is still valid & helpful.
  • Options
    Yes I've been and hoping to go back later this year. You're there, that' all you need to know. Everywhere is brilliant and the locals ares simply the loveliest people in the world. It's the island of choice for many of the super rich and A list celebs but it is not spoilt by this and you can eat and drink very reasonably.
  • Options
    Sunday lunch at The Lonestar.
    The Cliff is expensive but fantastic
    Hire a car and drive round the island making sure you visit Bathsheba. You will get lost, everybody does.
    Go to Oistins fish fry - best to be pissed when you get there
    Spend a day at Enterprise Beach ( sometimes called Miami Beach )
    A night at The Gap is great if you like that sort of thing
    Go and see Concorde at the airport - you can go on board
    Stop at Holetown to shop if you need it
    Go out on a catamaran. In my opinion, go with Captain Ron who will pick you up from your hotel. Call him on 12462623792.

Other than that, drink rum punch and chill. Great place with lovely people.
  • Options
    In my opinion Barbados is overrated nowadays. It was beautiful once but now so busy. There are other caribbean islands that are far nicer with nicer beaches. The Virgin Islands and St Lucia come to mind for just nicer beaches and a more authentic caribbean feel. Also, try Granada, the "Spice" Island. I know it's horses for courses but I just don't understand the fascination for Barbados nowadays when you compare it to other Caribbean islands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:

In my opinion Barbados is overrated nowadays. It was beautiful once but now so busy. There are other caribbean islands that are far nicer with nicer beaches. The Virgin Islands and St Lucia come to mind for just nicer beaches and a more authentic caribbean feel. Also, try Granada, the "Spice" Island. I know it's horses for courses but I just don't understand the fascination for Barbados nowadays when you compare it to other Caribbean islands.

Been St. Lucia, the hotels etc are ok but we chose Barbados because it's got a reputation as being more luxury. If we wanted a truly authentic Caribbean feel I think we would have gone to St Kitts or Barbuda.

Lone Star, The Cliff, Oistins Fish Fry, The Gap, Mullins are all on our list, as is a catamaran trip, the wildlife park and a spot of surfing on the eastern side
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Ok, following on from the Italy honeymoon thread, I too am in need of assistance from the 'ASK CHARLTON LIFE' website (no question that cannot be answered on there!!!)

I get married in 39 days and we are going Barbados for our honeymoon. We are staying in between Oistins and St lawrence Gap. Has anyone been and have you got any recommended restaurants/bars/clubs/trips etc

Cheers all.

I have just returned from a Caribbean cruise that included a trip to Barbados.
    Before we disembarked for Barbados we were told under no circumstances to wear camouflaged or khaki clothing. We were not told why.
    Did the catamaran and snorkeling trip but I could not go in the sea as my swimming trunks were camouflage lol.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

MrOneLung said:

Cheers all.

I have just returned from a Caribbean cruise that included a trip to Barbados.
    Before we disembarked for Barbados we were told under no circumstances to wear camouflaged or khaki clothing. We were not told why.
    Did the catamaran and snorkeling trip but I could not go in the sea as my swimming trunks were camouflage lol.
    I believe like most smaller/developing countries, only military personnel are allowed to wear military clothes
  • Options
    I think it's the law that only the police or army can wear camouflage clothing.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Rob said:

Been St. Lucia, the hotels etc are ok but we chose Barbados because it's got a reputation as being more luxury. If we wanted a truly authentic Caribbean feel I think we would have gone to St Kitts or Barbuda.

Lone Star, The Cliff, Oistins Fish Fry, The Gap, Mullins are all on our list, as is a catamaran trip, the wildlife park and a spot of surfing on the eastern side
    Don't get me wrong, Barbados is great for a more luxury resort holiday. If you get out and about though it is very busy and has lost a lot of the authentic Caribbean charm. In my opinion.

Enjoy the trip. Whichever way you slice it, going to the Caribbean for a holiday is not too shabby.
  • Options
    People on this thread obviously haven’t been to Bermuda ;-)
  • Options
    iaitch said:

I think it's the law that only the police or army can wear camouflage clothing.

Surely nobody can see that you’re wearing it so I don’t understand the issue...
  • Options
    Harbour lights was a good night out. Bajan BBQ food, open bar, entertainment, singers, stilt dancers, limbo acts and then a disco after.

Another shout for the catamaran trips, oistins fish fry.
    Also did horse riding towards north of island.

We tried to go harbour lights on second night we were there, but we had been given the wrong day for its opening, and got off the bus to find it closed, so we walked a couple hundred yards towards Bridgetown and ended up in a locals bar overlooking the wharf drinking Banks’s beer with live band and dj’s.
    There were probably only 10-15 tourists in whole place but was a brilliant night.

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

People on this thread obviously haven’t been to Bermuda ;-)

I have. Very nice. Extremely dull and expensive.
  • Options
    Oistins is best on a Friday night when it’s jumping.