Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jordan bans the Croydon Advertiser

"A club statement follows from our Chairman regarding the relationship between ourselves and the Croydon Advertiser.

Over the last eight years I have tried to maintain a positive relationship with the local press and in particular the Croydon Advertiser. Being that they are the local publication within the borough that the club resides in, we have seen this as an important tool to send positive information to the club's fan base on what is going on within the club.

Unfortunately despite my hopes the club has continually been reflected in a disproportionate and negative light by this paper over the ensuing years to the degree where very few positive stories are given their due and the expected positioning or prominence within the paper. I wish to stress that this is not a position of the club wanting to have the power of censor or have the news it thinks is relevant only being reported more so that I believed we would and should be able to work with the local press to promote important issues in a balanced and positive manner. Unfortunately contact from the paper to the commercial side of the club is non existent unless it is to obtain a last minute quote to a negative story which on the converse to the many positives that the club is doing and those stories are blazoned across a multiple spread to exaggerate the issue. This is often done without due diligence or proper opportunity being afforded to the club to either understand the content of the piece or be able to respond accordingly.

Therefore it is with regret that I have made the decision, at this point, to cease our relationship. On that basis any information contained within the Croydon Advertiser cannot be relied upon for either accuracy or content as it does not derive from club sources.

Until the paper balances its reporting to provide equal content on numerous good news stories as well as taking a fair approach on the negatives then the club will not be prepared to re-establish this relationship.

The club apologise for any inconvenience this may cause our supporters but we hope you understand our position with this matter."

Comments

• Options
    "Being that they are the local publication within the borough that the club resides in,"

What a badly overwritten piece that is.

Should have got some advice from a local journalist

D'oh!

So AFKA, what is the story that has upset that nice Mr Jordan?
  • Options
    Jordan clearly relies on Scally as his role model
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]"So AFKA, what is the story that has upset that nice Mr Jordan?

From what i heard, that they did a piece that the fans didn't like the knew kit choices. Which they don't.
  • Options
    good job we have not banned the Bexley Times, Newsshopper etc as then we wouldn't be able to read those excellant pieces of journalistic investigation they have done or read the answers to those searching questions they posed of the Club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]"So AFKA, what is the story that has upset that nice Mr Jordan?

From what i heard, that they did a piece that the fans didn't like the knew kit choices. Which they don't.

Pram, toys, throw, out of the, his.

Re-arrange these words to form a well known saying that describes Mr Jordan's actions
  • Options
    Er, Richard Collins did it at Charlton to the Kentish Times I think it was (the airman will be able to confirm no doubt)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Jordan clearly relies on Scally as his role model

I was just about to say that as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Pram, toys, throw, out of the, his.

Re-arrange these words to form a well known saying that describes Mr Jordan's actions
    Sorry Henry, I think there's something wrong with your puzzle. Try as I might I can't rearrange them into 'Rantings of a bitter, clueless, Nouveau-riche Orange-faced Oompa-Loompa twat'
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That's because you aren't trying HARD ENOUGH.
  • Options
    I for one have always banned the Croydon Advertiser from my household but bearing in mind that the orange turd does not like it I am just about to subscribe on line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "I wish to stress that this is not a position of the club wanting to have the power of censor or have the news it thinks is relevant only being reported"

That's odd because i'd suggest that's exactly what he wants to do.
  • Options
    Another bit of bad news for Croydon today: the Croydon Tourist Office is closing down next week due to lack of er,tourists!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]Er, Richard Collins did it at Charlton to the Kentish Times I think it was (the airman will be able to confirm no doubt)

I think there was a ban on the KT in the late 1980s, although at various points following the move to Selhurst Park they had cut coverage of Charlton altogether or limited it to 250 words alongside a similar piece about Maidstone and one about Palace so it wasn't quite the same thing.

The club also banned me on three separate occasions, so I think I must hold some kind of record, although only two made it into the public domain.

To be fair, the Croydon Advertiser is THE Palace paper in a way none of the current locals are to Charlton - even when Scally banned the KM he did so knowing that he still had the Medway News and Standard, etc. Mind you, Scally banned the KM from Priestfield altogether and it's not clear that is what this means.

I don't think banning papers ever does clubs any good and in fact it may enhance the credibility of the paper concerned, because it shows they are not in the club's pocket.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]The club also banned me on three separate occasions, so I think I must hold some kind of record, although only two made it into the public domain.
    Until now! ;-)
  • Options
    Like you Soapy, I have also banned the Croydon Advertiser from my house.

Arguably it's quite easy to avoid here in Lancashire.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    brilliantly, the Advertiser was banned by text - from journalists' trade paper Press Gazette:

Following the story, Crystal Palace's communications team sent the newspaper a text message, saying: "Simon and Dominic Jordan are not happy with kit coverage.

"SJ doesn't want the Advertiser doing interviews with players or going to the training ground."

Press Gazette story
  • Options
    http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/palacelatest/Palace-fans-shirty-new-kit-designs/article-694097-detail/article.html

Doesn't seem all that much to make a fuss about.

It's only a kit and it's going to be vile regardless as it's a Palace kit.
  • Options
    On the ol' BBS - a lot of Palace fans all think Jordan is being a cock...
  • Options
    All seems very OTT to me. Can't see any benefit to Palace in banning the Ad over something this petty.
  • Options
    Who cares? Pile it on. Jordan must be getting pretty disillusioned having no buyers in a market with no buyers. Looks like he's lumbered.