Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sorry it's all my fault.....

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
I took my wife to her first match since Ross Jack got a penalty for Norwich at The Valley to knock us out of the league cup in1980.

5-1 but I agree with Weststand singer. They weren't that much better than us but took their chances unlike us!

Comments

• Options
    It's all over now Len. I feel really sorry for Les Reed; he should never have put in this position in the first place. He is clearly not, and never will be, a Premiership manager. For god's sake somebody put him out of his misery soon!!
  • Options
    Pete

I think you are wrong , he has changed the team and tactics and so far got 4 points at home and none away. We have got effectively none away for a year. Things have improved a bit better than under Dowie, we are no longer bottom and have won a homes game I am sure with Dowie in charge we would have lost.

I think the bottom 3 are already doomed, but we do need Blackburn and Boro's slide to continue so we have a chance as Newcastle look like thery have turned the corner and I think Sheff Utd will hover just above the botom 3 for the whole of the season.
  • Options
    I still think Les is a good choice. He is an excellent coach and is a Charlton man.

That said I do not understand why he took Kish off for Dennis so early. I could have understood it with 20 to go but not after 53 minutes!

Our midfield parted like the Red Sea once Kish went off and we looked vulnerable every time they surged forward.
  • Options
    keep to the books les.
  • Options
    Len, you know I respect your views, but how is Les Reed "an excellent coach"?

I'm not necessarilly saying he is or isn;t, but I just don't know because I dont have any experience or first hand knowledge of him - or these things in general.

Sure he seems like a "nice guy", but so is my dad - and even thought he;'s been going down there for 40-odd years, I don't think I'd fancy him in charge of the team.

If you have more of an idea then I'd be delighted if you could enlighten me.
  • Options
    if you read hes books you would no the man is a genius.
  • Options
    teaching manuals are teaching manuals, they all read Dry as anything
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Len, you know I respect your views, but how is Les Reed "an excellent coach"?

I'm not necessarilly saying he is or isn;t, but I just don't know because I dont have any experience or first hand knowledge of him - or these things in general.

Sure he seems like a "nice guy", but so is my dad - and even thought he;'s been going down there for 40-odd years, I don't think I'd fancy him in charge of the team.

If you have more of an idea then I'd be delighted if you could enlighten me.

I don't have first hand experience of him either but respected figures ( Curbs for example, Lawrie Sanchez) rate him and he must have some ability to have taught many of today's leading coaches. A number of players have also been complimentary.

I don't think he would have lasted as long as he did at the FA if he was a complete muppet.
  • Options
    Saw this a few weeks ago in an article in The Guardian - didn't think too much of it at the time, but maybe there is something in it.
    Another worry is that there is no one else there with any great experience themselves, and even Kinsella's enthusiasm etc might not be enough

Mark Bright
    Coached by Reed at Charlton, 1997-98

He's a good coach but he's very "by the book" so everything's methodical and takes a long time. That's great in an ideal world where people listen to you and do exactly what you say, but in football you don't always get that. As a coach you need to be able to sense the mood and sometimes change your plans, and Les will have to show he can do that to get the enthusiasm going. I found his coaching structured and it was always in preparation for the next match. If it was Manchester United it might be how to stop them having too much possession in midfield or how to stop the wingers. If he had to put on a session to, say, help the wingers he was great but players didn't get it at times and sometimes sessions were too long.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    that's very interesting, and constructive feedback from a knowledgeable player. Hope Les has learnt from that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Les Reed might become of those great coaches of other coaches and perhaps a good, knowlegeable guy to have around but I don't think he#s going to become a manager in his own right.

I wonder if his job is permanent but only until someone like Pardew becomes available?
  • Options
    Why the big fuss over Pardew? I dont get it. If he cant do it with West Ham, why will he be able to with us?
  • Options
    Because he's ex-Charlton, he hasn't done a bad job with West Ham (and did ok with Reading before) though the wheels are coming off a bit, and I can't think of anyone else...
  • Options
    pardew did get them to the final of the fa cup hence european football.