Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snow

Comments

• Options
    It was on the news as well - People being interviewed then Crash Bang Wallop!
  • Options
    was bloody cold this morning on my run along the river's towpath.

A good inch or so outside- very unusual here in West London....
  • Options
    about 4-5 inches here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]the view from my window[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_396218 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]CIMG0299.JPG[/div][/ul][/div]

Mate, I didn't know you lived on the Ferrier ;o )
  • Options
    er , I don't
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just come back from town - never seen snowball fights in the West End before.

Southeastern train network grinding to a halt when I left Charing Cross at 9.50 - points/signals down in a few places, train broken down on the Hayes line, got off my train at Blackheath when the driver announced we'd be moving when the points were fixed! Got the bus across Blackheath, I don't think I've seen snow like this in about 15 years. I suspect if you're in deepest Kent, you'll be "working from home" tomorrow.

Gonna be fun tomorrow!
  • Options
    Why is it that when a bit of snow falls all hell breaks lose, i don't get this Don't travel unless you really have to situation, why's that then, how about clear the bloody roads and then we can all go about our daily business,monday will be full of excuses about dangerous driving conditions,signal failures and people taking days off because the can't move, it's all quiet sad.
  • Options
    snow is great fun, makes you feel happy.........unlike the shower of shit that connects us all
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]Why is it that when a bit of snow falls all hell breaks lose, i don't get this Don't travel unless you really have to situation, why's that then, how about clear the bloody roads and then we can all go about our daily business,monday will be full of excuses about dangerous driving conditions,signal failures and people taking days off because the can't move, it's all quiet sad.

Welcome to Britain! Funny how we collapse, yet countries who get shed loads of the stuff (feet rather than inches) for weeks on end, like Canada, Norway, Russia etc, manage to run their transport as normal. This country is a joke.
  • Options
    Because snow like this is a two-or-three-times a decade event?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Because snow like this is a two-or-three-times a decade event?

Doesnt take snow like this though, does it. Normally just a light dusting is enough to cripple the train and road networks...
  • Options
    All London bus services suspended due to snow and dangerous road conditions.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]All London bus services suspended due to snow and dangerous road conditions.

seriously?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]All London bus services suspended due to snow and dangerous road conditions.

seriously?

LOL yep. It's on the TFL website now.

Just been flicking through some of the webcams on the BBC website... A2 around Kidbrooke, Black Prince and Danson doesnt look good... Roads on the other side of the Blackwall tunnel dont look pretty either... not going to be good tomorrow
  • Options
    A2 Rochester Way Relief Road....
    440336.jpg

(Should show a photo timed at 00:40.... not sure whether it'll auto update here)
  • Options
    I've just got home (Sidcup) from Crystal Palace and the roads are a complete nightmare. Avoid the hills and the side roads is all I can recommend.
  • Options
    Just got back from the pub...driving up Gravel Hill in Bexleyheath was nigh on impossible...some of us clever enough to power slide up sideways managed it, everyone else either bottled it or got stuck up halfway. As of 10 minutes ago, there were 3 articulated lorries parked up in the bus stop with their hazards on as they couldnt get up any further.

Trains through Sidcup were suspended around 7.30pm tonight so there's more chance one of us winning the lottery that being able to get a train in the morning.

Wont be getting up tomorrow at the crack of dawn, may take a leisurely stroll down to the station around 8ish to get a train but otherwise, a nice bacon sarnie, cup of tea then making snowmen with my 3 year old daughter is the plan. It's the first major snow fall she's ever seen so looking forward to it already.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]Why is it that when a bit of snow falls all hell breaks lose, i don't get this Don't travel unless you really have to situation, why's that then, how about clear the bloody roads and then we can all go about our daily business,monday will be full of excuses about dangerous driving conditions,signal failures and people taking days off because the can't move, it's all quiet sad.

Welcome to Britain! Funny how we collapse, yet countries who get shed loads of the stuff (feet rather than inches) for weeks on end, like Canada, Norway, Russia etc, manage to run their transport as normal. This country is a joke.

Vancouver had a major snowfall at Xmas and the city ground to a halt - because it is not used too it and the transit system is not equipeed with the gear to get through their once a year major snowfall. Calgary hardly blinks an eyelid at major snowfalls because the city is equipped for it. We pay through the nose taxwise for snowploughs, gritters, city transit equipped with snow tyres ,heating blocks etc etc. People by & large know how to drive in the white, slippery stuff & their cars are modified to cope with the conditions.

I guess what I am saying is for the miniscule amount of snow the UK gets, is it worth the expense of kitting out all vehicles with the equipment we use over here to beat the snow.
  • Options
    day off i phoned all the boys and told them no lorries leaving the yard today have a nice day with your family's

woooopeeeeee snow ball fights all day with NLJR
  • Options
    All Southeastern train services suspended. Still no buses, Tubes seem okay.

An early treat for anyone up before 8am
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love it!
  • Options
    that is quality
  • Options
    screen-grabbed version for anyone who misses it

icicles on street lamp outside, apparently cars aren't making it up the hill - Victoria Way. This could be fun.
  • Options
    No Buses running into town from NW Kent, Southeastern website must be run by Digital ink as it's crashed. Kids are praying that the teachers get stuck and don't get in!!

Snowball fights with the Chel$ki fan over the road - Happy Days.
  • Options
    YIPPPPPPPPPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]No Buses running into town from NW Kent, Southeastern website must be run by Digital ink as it's crashed. Kids are praying that the teachers get stuck and don't get in!!

The southeastern website has been down since i got up at 6
  • Options
    Schools not closed yet - Knowing the old dragon that runs the junior school, she'll battle her way in and expect everyone else to do so as well!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]No Buses running into town from NW Kent, Southeastern website must be run by Digital ink as it's crashed. Kids are praying that the teachers get stuck and don't get in!!

The southeastern website has been down since i got up at 6
    Use the shortcut in the stickied thread at the top - it bypasses all the front pages
  • Options
    I'm not goin in just yet, I'm watching a 2CV trying to get out of the pull in bit out the front of my house and I would not not want my motor to be anywhere near that!!

That is an excellent piece of snow vandalism!

Most of the lads at work come from Dartford, Bexley sort of way they will look down their noses at my mate and me but a shit I don't give today a 10 minute journey took me almost an hour and was pretty hairy last night and I know how to drive in the snow, so I am not playing this morning
  • Options
    I work in Bromley... I booked a cab for 7am. Cab firm called me at 6.45am to tell me there were no cab drivers and no buses. Indeed my cab driver is stuck in the Elephant and Castle. I called my boss who explained the senior manager might have to close the office down for today and tomorrow.

How rubbish is public transport., When we had nearly 2 foot of snow last time round (admittengly buses got stuck) but at least they ran. London transport have given up altogether.

Given a choice of having today of as leave or coming in on weds to make time up !!

Back to bed then