Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spain and Portugal joint World Cup Bid 2018

Thiscould be a serious challenge to England hosting it. But must be our turn. -

Although losing out to Spain wouldn't be a bad thing would be great to get out there for it as well. :-)))

Also rumours the Russkies could be putting a bid in as well.

Comments

• Options
    Why would they be joint hosts?

Surely Spain has enough stadiums of it's own to host it?

Or is it the credit crunch?
  • Options
    Is it my imagination or did Fifa say after Japan and Korea and/or Austria and Switzerland there wasn't going to be anymore joint hosting of tournaments allowed?
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would hate it if Spain were to host the world cup, horrible, racist country.

Australia would be my ideal choice!
  • Options
    I think by 2018 I am going to have totally fallen out of love with football
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Why would they be joint hosts?

Surely Spain has enough stadiums of it's own to host it?

Or is it the credit crunch?
    Agree 100%, said this yesterday when the news broke. I think joint hosting should only be an option where it would aid development of the game in areas where single hosting is out of the question due to the lack of current infrastructure and the stadia, once used, wouldn't be used fully again. Japan and Korea was a good example of this IMO.

Put simply, no country with well established leagues should ever be holding joint bids.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I would hate it if Spain were to host the world cup, horrible, racist country.

So true. All of us - racist to the core.

Ignorant cretin
  • Options
    well it was announced today that they have put a bid in at with Fifa's blessing - read into that what you want.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]well it was announced today that they have put a bid in at with Fifa's blessing - read into that what you want.
    Presumably that it's not against any of FIFA's regulations and nothing to do with the three south American delegates on FIFA's panel that would lap up such a bid!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I would hate it if Spain were to host the world cup, horrible, racist country.

Ignorant cretin
    I will bring this post back up after the Spain V England Friendly

And surely in the year 2009 it isn't necessary to say a small minority in every sentence?
  • Options
    I would have no problem with it being in Spain having some family living there & having been to Seville which is one of the most fantastic places I have ever been too (On Leroy's recommendation as it happens). Plus they have the best league in the world over there, plus they are the current European Champs, would be a worthy country of hosting a football world cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I would have no problem with it being in Spain having some family living there & having been to Seville which is one of the most fantastic places I have ever been too (On Leroy's recommendation as it happens). Plus they have the best league in the world over there, plus they are the current European Champs, would be a worthy country of hosting a football world cup.
    Indeed, just not as joint hosts when they're capable of doing it on their own.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]well it was announced today that they have put a bid in at with Fifa's blessing - read into that what you want.
    Presumably that it's not against any of FIFA's regulations and nothing to do with the three south American delegates on FIFA's panel that would lap up such a bid!

touche my friend touche

jiggery pokery going as per usual
  • Options
    Who FIFA dear? Oh no dear! How VERY dare you!
  • Options
    Fifa ended their rotation policy - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7067187.stm

But the continents that held the last 2 world cups can't bid. Therefore, African and South American countries can't bid for the 2018 world cup. So far England, Australia, Russia and Qatar have said they will bid. But (other than a joint bid from Spain and Portugal) there could be a joint bid from Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg.

But, what interests me is that if a country makes a bid, it can only use 1 stadium from each city (with the exception of one city with 2 stadiums). I would say:
    London - Wembley and Emirates Stadium.
    Manchester - Old Trafford
    Liverpool - Anfield
    Newcastle - St James' Park
    Birmingham - Villa Park
    Sunderland - Stadium of Light

What about the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff? But then it would be a joint bid with Wales.
  • Options
    Elland Road and Hillsborough are just under 40k right now so would be possibilities, although they're pretty old and long in the tooth now
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: errbody[/cite]Fifa ended their rotation policy -http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7067187.stm

But the continents that held the last 2 world cups can't bid. Therefore, African and South American countries can't bid for the 2018 world cup. So far England, Australia, Russia and Qatar have said they will bid. But (other than a joint bid from Spain and Portugal) there could be a joint bid from Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg.

But, what interests me is that if a country makes a bid, it can only use 1 stadium from each city (with the exception of one city with 2 stadiums). I would say:
    London - Wembley and Emirates Stadium.
    Manchester - Old Trafford
    Liverpool - Anfield
    Newcastle - St James' Park
    Birmingham - Villa Park
    Sunderland - Stadium of Light

What about the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff? But then it would be a joint bid with Wales.

Would be good to see some smaller cities/towns get some games.

Places like Southampton or the new Portsmouth stadium or even Charlton's new ground in Chatham. Wolves, a new stadium in Bristol perhaps, Brighton, the new Forest Ground.

Would be good to see some the money spent on developing new grounds and facilities away from the big cities so as to spread the benefit.

What is the minimum capacity? 30k or 40k
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

Ignorant cretin
    I will bring this post back up after the Spain V England Friendly
    Good luck to you. I'll refer to you as an ignorant cretin again - for simply saying that an entire country is racist based on the evidence you'll have seen from a couple of football matches and your trips to Torremefuckinglinos
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]And surely in the year 2009 it isn't necessary to saya small minorityin every sentence?

No - but how does saying that Spain is a 'horrible, racist country' possibly do anything other than imply that the vast majority of people from Spain are racist? Might I remind you that up until about the early nineties banana skins were regularly thrown onto the pitch at black players up and down stadia across THIS country? And that you still hear - regularly - racist abuse from football fans (or is 'paki c***' acceptable nowadays?)

Think before you post next time - you'll come across as more intelligent if you do.
  • Options
    what about the Lewis Hamilton incident?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]what about the Lewis Hamilton incident?

Makes the whole country racist just like the stephen lawrence murder makes every south londoner a racist. Come on people please grow some brains.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I would have no problem with it being in Spain having some family living there & having been to Seville which is one of the most fantastic places I have ever been too (On Leroy's recommendation as it happens). Plus they have the best league in the world over there, plus they are the current European Champs, would be a worthy country of hosting a football world cup.

Agreed, but why Portugal as well, they had it in 2004 didnt they??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No, that was the Euros not the WC. I just recon the Spanish are thinking if they toss a couple of games Lisbon's way they will stand a better chance of getting the vote.