Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Taylor WAS offered the Charlton job.

I recently attended a sportsmans dinner where Peter Taylor was the guest sepaker. He was mainly doing a Q & A and one of the questions posed to him was " what happened with you and Charlton?" His reply went like this - On the morning of the game where Curbs was saying goodbye to the fans at the Valley, Peter Taylor recieved a call from CAFC telling him Curbs is leaving and they would like to talk to him about the job. He then met with Charlton on the Monday and was offered the job, he was later then informed that he could not bring his own back room staff, Peter Taylor said fine does that mean I have to work with the staff already in place? (which he was about as he felt they deserved there chance). He was then told no we will appoint your back room staff for you!

Peter taylor said he needed to hink about that and then later recieved a call telling him the job was no longer being offered to him!

This is all from the horses mouth chap.

Comments

• Options
    he's not exactly doing a good job at Palace....
  • Options
    no reason to doubt you, and makes sense. cheers for sharing.

might be an element of Taylor not being 100% honest there though, particularly in the being offered the job straight away bit.
  • Options
    I would not want anything from palarse!Sharing their dump and well we all know the rest!
  • Options
    He's doing an ok, job at Palace in a very difficult league (as you are likely to find out). I had realistic expectations for Palace this season and I think Peter Taylor last 4 results seem to indicate he is going in the right direction.

Given the honest answers he gave on a variety of subjects at the sportsmans dinner I attended, I would be very surprised if he was stretching the truth.

Tavern did'nt you have Iain Dowie from the Palace :-)
  • Options
    anything else he had to say of general interest SoS ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]He's doing an ok, job at Palace in a very difficult league (as you are likely to find out). I had realistic expectations for Palace this season and I think Peter Taylor last 4 results seem to indicate he is going in the right direction.

Given the honest answers he gave on a variety of subjects at the sportsmans dinner I attended, I would be very surprised if he was stretching the truth.

Tavern did'nt you have Iain Dowie from the Palace :-)
    Yer thats what i meant by we all know the rest!
  • Options
    dowie was on sky last night. only saw a bit on sky sports news when as home late but seemed quite upbeat. did he get asked what went wrong at charlton?
  • Options
    by the way why would peter taylor stand up at one of those functions and publicly admit we didnt want him... course he's going to lie.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]He's doing an ok, job at Palace in a very difficult league (as you are likely to find out).
    Well you want to hope we dont as we will send you down AGAIN!
  • Options
    Peter Who?

The man wet his knickers at the thought of a Premier League job - ANY Premier League job. He was all over the press about it. I'm not surprised that he now wants to save face, hardly likely to say that he wasn't wanted now, is he?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb it

Probably for the same reason he said he thought he would never get the Palace job as Simon Jordan did'nt appear to rate him.

AFKA - He told some good stories on his time as spurs player and being dropped by Keith Birkenshaw, so he went and moaned to his captain Steve Perryman and told him that he could not believe that Birkenshaw had dropped him, to which perryman replied " I can as you have been F%$£ing useless for weeks! It was not a Palace dinner , and when asked about his relationship with Simon Jordan , he said it was very good and certainly Simon would have more reason to moan about him (given results at the time) than he would about Simon.

Also some made a very good point about when he took over at leicester after Martin o'neill and how he would never take a job following on from a legend at a club without his own backroom team.

Similiar to Dowie following Curbs really, he should have had his own people.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]Curb it

Also some made a very good point about when he took over at leicester after Martin o'neill and how he would never take a job following on from a legend at a club without his own backroom team.

that's a very good point actually, and one that hasn't properly been raised. interesting.
  • Options
    Nice insight SoS.

Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]Curb it

that's a very good point actually, and one that hasn't properly been raised. interesting.

To be honest that confirms what I've always suspected about the whole replacing Curbs situation, namely that when we appointed Dowie, it wasn't because he was the right man for the job, it was that he was the only one that was prepared to have his backroom staff chosen for him.
  • Options
    On the evening Peter Taylor very much made the point that following o'neill into leicester was very difficult without your own staff whom you can 100% rely on. He said something to effect of that he would want something done a particular way, but he was regularly met with a response of "that's not how Martin did it"

I imagine following curbs would be quite similiar, having said that, Dowie was never the right man for Charlton, and I dont think mr Reed is either.

Will Richard Murray make another change??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]I recently attended a sportsmans dinner where Peter Taylor was the guest sepaker. He was mainly doing a Q & A and one of the questions posed to him was " what happened with you and Charlton?" His reply went like this - On the morning of the game where Curbs was saying goodbye to the fans at the Valley, Peter Taylor recieved a call from CAFC telling him Curbs is leaving and they would like to talk to him about the job. He then met with Charlton on the Monday and was offered the job, he was later then informed that he could not bring his own back room staff, Peter Taylor said fine does that mean I have to work with the staff already in place? (which he was about as he felt they deserved there chance). He was then told no we will appoint your back room staff for you!

Peter taylor said he needed to hink about that and then later recieved a call telling him the job was no longer being offered to him!

This is all from the horses mouth chap.

I think there is an element of truth in this but taylor neglects to mention the probability, that he would have been forced to relinquish the U21 job, which he wasn't prepared to.

Also if this were completely true, how come he piped up in the media a few days later telling all he'd rejected the position at Charlton because he still had a job at Hull to complete? Which I beleive was a few weeks before rushing off down to the toilet in Croydon.
  • Options
    On the evening Peter Taylor very much made the point that following o'neill into leicester was very difficult without your own staff whom you can 100% rely on

It would have been a tough act regardless, as I recall he did well initially taking Leicester albeit briefly to the top of the EPL before fading away and the second season was when he was sacked.
  • Options
    Peter Taylor was offered it and it was 99.9% in the bag - he was the first choice at the time.