Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is History repeating itself?

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Anyone who's read my recent posts moaning about non-singers at The Valley may think I go to sing my heart out at every game. I don't because mostly I can't be there. I used to however and when I can fly over for a match I still do so.
Yesterday I got up early at 4.30pm to go skiing. It reminded me, as it often does, of getting up early to go to a Charlton away game, and when the bus wasn't there and I had to come home again it reminded me even more of all the poor sods (including my family) who were making the same effort to go to Sheff Utd for ultimately little reward.
There was a strange part of me that was happy my skiing trip was cancelled. At least I could cheer on the addicks over the internet commentary. So we got back at 7am and I only had to wait 9 hours for it to start!
After all was over I did well not to throw a mint cornetto at the wall like 'Off It'. I was more depressed than angry however. Five hours, one dinner and one film later and it was still on my mind so rather like a lost churchgoer who's losing faith I consulted my 'bible;' In this case it was the 'Home and Away with Charlton Athletic' book. It was rather like reading a prophecy of doom.
There were several differences it's true, but that's inevitable as the opposition were different, the number of games played were different etc. After 15 matches in 1956/57 we only had seven points which is even worse than now, but the two we'd won were at home to Bolton and Manchester City and other other point came against Newcastle. It's also strange that we sacked our manager early in the season and replaced him with 'England and Charlton trainer Jimmy Trotter'
At least we went on to win our 16th match so maybe we can look forward to Tuesday.

Comments

• Options
    Spooky!
  • Options
    good digging JM !

How did the season end up ? Dare i ask...
  • Options
    We got relegated, and stayed out of the top flight until Lennie took us back almost 30 years later!!
  • Options
    We finished bottom with 22 points. I forgot to mention that it was 2 points for a win then so in fact we had 5 not seven points at this stage. It was also the season when we recorded our record defeat : 8-1 away to Boro. And Red Pete's right - 29 years to be precise.
  • Options
    apologies for the correction Jim, my father saw us lose 11-1 at Villa in the 59/60 season, still has the programme!
  • Options
    But it was the record at the time! LOL
  • Options
    You're right there mate. Gerry Hitchens scored a load that day, later saw him play for Worcester City, apparently we used three goal keepers too.
  • Options
    Do you remember the 56/57 season?
    I'm going to bed - will check your reply tomorrow!
  • Options
    We won the 16th game - same as 56/57.