Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 29th Sept 1975. Oxford Utd 2 Charlton 3

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
Part of a league cup 'run' that lasted seven games and saw us being knocked out in the 3rd round!

Monday 29th September 1975. Football league cup 2nd round 2nd replay. The Manor Ground Oxford. Att 3,973.

Oxford United 2 (1) (Lowe 38 Jeffrey 46) Charlton Athletic 3 (1) (Bowman (pen) 43, Hales 55 107) After extra time. 90 mins 2-2.

Oxford: Burton, Taylor, Shuker, Lowe, C Clarke, Jeffrey (Tait 100), Houseman, Aylott, D Clarke, Foley, Heron.

Charlton: Tutt, Penfold, Warman, Bowman, Giles, D Young, Harrison (Berry 91), Hales, Flanagan, Hunt, Peacock.

Referee: G Reeves (Leicester)

Penalty awarded against Colin Clarke for a foul on Hales. Also, Lowe scored for Oxford after a Clarke shot had been punched out by Young.

The Addicks went out at home in front of 32,242 in the next round after holding 1st Division runners-up QPR at Loftus Road.

Also this season: Southampton beat Man Utd 1-0 to win the F A Cup, West Ham lose 4-2 to Anderlecht in the Cup-winners cup final and Liverpool beat Bruges 4-3 on aggregate to lift the UEFA Cup.

Comments

• Options
    Makes me feel old but I remember this one. Went up with my mates, and we got to the local pub before it opened, this in the days when pubs shut in the afternoon.

Stood in a small open end behind the goal, and recall a bit of trouble in the alley behind the away end after the game.

We went back there later in the season with a lot more fans on a Friday night and lost.
  • Options
    Was at the QPR games --------------- took over west london that night great support, seemed every pub was jammo with Charlton , still we have a tradition of no away support accordin to some ! Paddy Powell took an England fullback to bits that night.
  • Options
    Just had to look up the name Houseman in the Oxford line-up. I don't remember him playing for Oxford but the name rang a bell from his Chelsea days and it was the same player. Tragic end to his life too.

From Wiki:

He left the club in May 1975 to join Oxford United after playing almost 350 games for the Londoners, and scoring 39 goals. His time with Oxford was less successful, with the club being relegated from the Second Division in 1975-76. He made 72 appearances for the club and scored twice.

He was killed along with his wife and two friends in a car crash on the A40 near Oxford in March 1977 whilst driving home from a fund-raising event. A testimonial match between the 1970 and 1977 Chelsea teams was arranged to raise money for their orphans, with a crowd of almost 17,000 in attendance.

He was a hero in the village of Oakley in Hampshire, where he set up and coached a youth football team. There is now a youth league named after him in the area.
  • Options
    34 years ago. I feel old.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Was at the QPR games
    took over west london that night great support, seemed every pub was jammo with Charlton , still we have a tradition of no away support accordin to some ! Paddy Powell took an England fullback to bits that night.

Saw Paddy talking to PV at Colchester last night.

He'd struggle to take Youga's Grandmother to bits now :-))
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Was at the QPR games
    took over west london that night great support, seemed every pub was jammo with Charlton , still we have a tradition of no away support accordin to some ! Paddy Powell took an England fullback to bits that night.

That was my memory of Loftus Road - Paddy "roasting" Ian Gillard if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Remember both the QPR games well - great performance to hold them at Loftus Road & fantastic support at both games.
    AA - can you name that year's Arc winner and it's starting price? (I remember my Dad talking about the race with some mates in the car to Loftus Road!)
  • Options
    Didn't get to the Oxford game. Did go to the replay v QPR. That was one of the biggest if not the biggest crowd at The Valley that I had been in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]Remember both the QPR games well - great performance to hold them at Loftus Road & fantastic support at both games.
    AA - can you name that year's Arc winner and it's starting price? (I remember my Dad talking about the race with some mates in the car to Loftus Road!)

I'm afraid I can't but it sounds like you had a similar indoctrination to myself when it comes to the Sport Of Kings!
  • Options
    AA - the winner was Star Appeal at 100/1, which is why it's stuck in my mind all these years! Nothing useful between these ears of mine, as well you know!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]AA - the winner was Star Appeal at 100/1, which is why it's stuck in my mind all these years! Nothing useful between these ears of mine, as well you know!

lol I've been chasing those 100/1 winners all my life!
  • Options
    Can anyone claim to have been at all three ties?
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7406491798

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    Still at school then but went to the Oxford game with Lewis Coaches. Not many of us there which was in complete contrast to the next round at QPR which is still one of the biggest Charlton away followings I've been part of.