Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Madjeski Stadium

I am really looking forward to Saturday's game at the Madjeski, but it will stir some memories from my last visit to the ground. It was for a pre-season friendly against Reading on Saturday 5th August 2000. I remember that it was a high scoring game that either finished 3-3 or 4-3 to us. It was only a friendly so the score was not very important.

However, I remember very clearly noticing a young black lad who was one of our many substitutes that day. He had a huge beaming smile on his face as he warmed up by jogging to the corner flag and back. I was sitting very close to that corner flag & I had a bit of banter with him on one of his visits to that corner. At the end of the game, which he didn't play in, he gave me a thumbs up and an even bigger smile. I didn't even know his name.

Four days later, however, his face was in the headlines. Pierre Bolangi , just 17, had drowned on an army training course, while on a five day residential training course with the other Charlton youth players.

I was shocked when I realised that it was Pierre that I had "be-friended" the previous Saturday. Who knows how good he could have been, and now we will never know. I will never forget his beaming smile, however, and I will take a few moments on Saturday to remember him. Sometimes it is important to remember that football is not life or death!!

Comments

• Options
    god bless him
  • Options
    very touching Red Pete. I also was at that game.

Was that all really over 6 years ago ?
  • Options
    Was there as well RP, though have no memories of Pierre that day.

Lovely bit about him in Curb's book.

RIP Pierre.
  • Options
    Saturday is a newie for me. Can remember a few games at Elm Park. I think a 1-3 win sticks out with Towner playing one of his better games for us?
  • Options
    third for me, having been with the mighty Welling in the FA Cup !
  • Options
    I was there too and also didn't realise Pierre was in the squad.

Makes you remember that everything we're currently moaning about is oh so irrelevant.
  • Options
    RIP Pierre, such a waste.

CAFC
  • Options
    Been there a few times myself, once for our friendly, once for an England U21's game, and once for a Reading game. Typical new style ground but as it's a bit smaller it keeps a good atmosphere and noise volume
  • Options
    Been to the stadium several times as a conference delegate and also with a mate whose father was involved in the building of the stadium and have seen them in Pardew and Allen days. Travelling to the game with him and his son on Saturday and with this current weeks dealings really looking forward to this game..

The Pierre piece in Curb's book is very special and a tragedy that clearly had a great impact on Curbs and the club
  • Options
    Can someone be kind and give me a rough guide to what Curbs says about Pierre in the book.

RIP Pierre Bolangi