Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening update

Comments

• Options
    at home yes, but this is the allotment I am talking about..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]More fecking apples than we know what to do with - got a large box of eaters rotting in the garage and the tree is still loaded!

http://www.howtomakecider.com/

A friend of mine turned some of my 2009 crop apples into alcohol but reckoned they're not very good for that purpose.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]at home yes, but this is the allotment I am talking about..

Ok ..... but get to know the old fellas at the allotment, they'll have you in their sheds for a tipple and a chat.
    It passes the time while you're waiting for your spuds to grow.

The bit you're not using for now ...... just get it cut down and mow it. The other allotment holders will be pleased it's not bramble, thistle and bindweed. - and it'll look good as grass, and somewhere for your family picnic.

;o)
  • Options
    you don't live in Bexley boroough I take it.. they are b'stds when it comes to the allotment police, 75% must be cultivated.. my deadline is November, and they don't provide any services like strimming it down when you first get the the plot.
  • Options
    Rent a rotivator mate it wont take five minutes then....
  • Options
    got any link to one that will easily go through hard turf soil?
  • Options
    Right looks like cracking weekend and not going to Plymouth time to roll up sleeves and get garden ready for winter...need to clean up cover stuff and do something with the greenhouse ...is there anything we can seed veg wise for
    winter spring eating........also thought once i read u can get some smoke bomb thing to chuck in the greenhouse to kill or the crawlies or have the health and safety Nazis banned these ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite].is there anything we can seed veg wise for

Sprouting beans, mustard & cress on the window sill .....?

There's loads of crops that'll stand through the winter ..... leeks, parsnip, sprouts, broccoli, spring cabbage, kale, etc that will give you fresh produce during the winter months - but they all need sowing much earlier in the year.

Rapidly reducing length of daylight is the problem in October, even though the ground is still warm enough.

You could sow Broad Beans in October/early November - you'll get some gaps, but they'll crop earlier than those sown in February/March. And because of that, should escape the dreaded black fly..

You might be interested also in a 'green manure' crop ............. dig over part of your bed (or deep bed, if you have them) and sow some cress or similar very quick growing. (I wouldn't sow mustard though, because it's a brassica, which are prone to clubroot disease). When it comes through and leafs up, dig it in. It'll help reduce nutrients being washed out of your soil during heavy rain, etc.

Linky: Green manure crops

That's all from Percy Throwup this week, folks!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite].is there anything we can seed veg wise for

Sprouting beans, mustard & cress on the window sill .....?

There's loads of crops that'll stand through the winter ..... leeks, parsnip, sprouts, broccoli, spring cabbage, kale, etc that will give you fresh produce during the winter months - but they all need sowing much earlier in the year.

Rapidly reducing length of daylight is the problem in October, even though the ground is still warm enough.

You could sow Broad Beans in October/early November - you'll get some gaps, but they'll crop earlier than those sown in February/March. And because of that, should escape the dreaded black fly..

You might be interested also in a 'green manure' crop ............. dig over part of your bed (or deep bed, if you have them) and sow some cress or similar very quick growing. (I wouldn't sow mustard though, because it's a brassica, which are prone to clubroot disease). When it comes through and leafs up, dig it in. It'll help reduce nutrients being washed out of your soil during heavy rain, etc.

Linky:Green manure crops

That's all from Percy Throwup this week, folks!

Just plugged in my Aerogarden - a bit extravagant cos you can get most of the herbs down the supermarket for a fraction of the cost, but will be nice to have fresh growing mint, dill, basil, thyme, oregano & chives on hand throughout our deep winter.......

21st Century Indoor Gardening
  • Options
    That's a bit different, Oakster.

Gardening without getting grubby.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone decked a garden recently? Trying to work out rough cost as thinking of doing it. Garden is probably about 15ft square, maybe slightly longer.

Know it varies but a ballpark of what some have paid may help!
  • Options
    Anyone decked a garden recently? Trying to work out rough cost as thinking of doing it. Garden is probably about 15ft square, maybe slightly longer.

Do lots of these, cheap version (say £3 per board via B&Q or wicks, 2.4m in length) with all bits come in at about £11 per Sq meter
    If you want something special (Hardwood in nice patterns with uplights, steps and rails) cost can be very near the £100 per Sqm. Pricing for materials only.

• Options
    i think DA9 did his last years.

strawberries growing in the green house already !
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thinking of getting the plastic wood effect as it'll last, not need me to varnish it, prevent moss etc all the time - basically I can be lazy!

Probably doing it myself as I can see it being expensive to get someone in!

Don't know much about it but fast learning, doing a lot of DIY on the house, so hopefully give it a go once the weather improves.
  • Options

15ft square ? You could do that with a few boxes of matches :-)
  • Options
    Got to make the best of what I've got - it's not the size, it's how you use it!!
  • Options
    Got to make the best of what I've got - it's not the size, it's how you use it!!
    What, your garden is smaller than 4ft long by 4 ft wide ? That a balcony :-)
  • Options
    Thinking of getting the plastic wood effect as it'll last, not need me to varnish it, prevent moss etc all the time - basically I can be lazy!

Probably doing it myself as I can see it being expensive to get someone in!

Don't know much about it but fast learning, doing a lot of DIY on the house, so hopefully give it a go once the weather improves.
    You will get the same problem with moss and the finish is not as good.

Regarding wood. The first year is not overly important to treat the wood. The second year (I always recommend in the spring) water jet the boards and allow a day to dry then use the quick drying wood preservers that can be applied with a mop style device, takes only an hour of your time and the water jetting gets up all the crap from the year.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    When did I ay it was 4ft by 4 ft?!

And cheers Strasburger.
  • Options
    When did I ay it was 4ft by 4 ft?!

And cheers Strasburger.
    My apologies if 15 foot square isn't 15 square foot. I plead ignorance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah, I see! Yeah, silly me. I wouldn't bother decking that!

• Options
    I suggest you ring local timber or builder's merchants for prices. The boards tend to be bigger than at a DIY store and prices may well be much cheaper.
    I have laid plenty in my garden and also my daughter's and we lay decking on many of our flat roofs and you will find a wide range of prices and quality available. Give plenty of thought to the structure. Get it planned and laid correctly and the boards will go down easily.
    Rounded corners look good but need an extra bit of prepwork to get right. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks, think I'll need it to be honest! It's my last job and the biggest - need to board the loft first, sort a loft ladder out, sort the shower, fix several light fixings etc....

At least I'll have nicer weather to be in the garden digging etc!
  • Options
    Been a good programme Everyday Eden: A potted history of the surburban garden on BBC4.

Been mostly talking about Welling (also Eltham, Bexley, Bromley and Surbiton) and how many moved from the Inner City to have their own house and garden.

Worth watching on iPlayer if you like a bit of social history and/or gardening.
  • Options
    Also, our Clematis Armandii is rampant at the moment. This makes me happy as the humongous one we had died the year before last (maybe due to the amount of rain or next door having an extension), which was a bit gutting.
  • Options

Also, our Clematis Armandii is rampant at the moment. This makes me happy as the humongous one we had died the year before last (maybe due to the amount of rain or next door having an extension), which was a bit gutting.

This is the evergreen clematis with white star-like flowers, isn't it ,ET ?

We had one clambering through a tree near the house but I pruned it too much a couple of years ago & killed it...doh !

Now have another climbing through the branches of a walnut tree but it's the first year of flowering. Had a smattering of blooms but finished now.

How long has it taken for yours to be rampant ? Thinking of planting a couple around the arch over the bust of Pierre Bolangi at SL.

• Options
    Palm trees, bananas, orchids and succulents growing well in DA1.
  • Options
    Yep, Fanny, ours has just finished flowering. I think they kick on in the second year, we planted one that I bought at 3ft, less than a year and a half later it's covered (not thickly mind) a fence/trellis of 2m sq. I don't know much about gardening but done a bit of reading about these.

Pic of leaves..... (Of the old one)

• Options
    edited April 2014

Yep, Fanny, ours has just finished flowering. I think they kick on in the second year, we planted one that I bought at 3ft, less than a year and a half later it's covered (not thickly mind) a fence/trellis of 2m sq. I don't know much about gardening but done a bit of reading about these.

Pic of leaves..... (Of the old one)

Thanks, ET.

Looks like ours.

I DO like a rampant climber.

;0)

• Options
    Been pretty busy at my allotment in Bromley and have so far got the spuds in as well as Chard, Parsnips, Turnips. Pak choi & Onions.

Got Beetroot. Celery, Carrots, Leeks to go in soon and another crop of spuds. Need to get the Beans and cabbages in soonish too.

Got a busy couple of weekends coming up with lots to do but the weather should be nice and I have a shed so I can relax and have a nice cuppa.