Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Bright on Kevin Lisbie

edited May 2008 in General Charlton
Anyone hear Brighty on 5Live the other night?
They were talking about players not being hungry enough. He said as a 19 year old Lisbie was as good as anything he'd seen, loads of natural talent. However he thought too much money too soon killed off his hunger.

Comments

• Options
    Too many injuries didn't help but it's quite common that good players at 17/18/19 etc don't always go on to be stars. At 21 Zidane was playing for Bordeaux, while Ruud van Nistelrooy was playing second or third division football in Holland, Ballack was in in the minor leagues...

We put a lot of pressure on players to perform when they haven't finished growing - mentally and physically and if Lisbie's head was turned by earning too much money (what salary was he earning at 19?? £50k a year??) then I doubt he'd have had the mental strength to really compete and prove his worth a few seasons later.
  • Options
    Wayne Harrison - anyone remeber him?
  • Options
    wasnt he the oldham lad who signed for liverpool and broke a leg in a reserve game a months later never played again?
    i wasnt the money that scuppered him more like bad luck.
  • Options
    How about Sonny Pike?
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer - anyone remember him?
  • Options
    Sonny Pike has had huge personal problems that have been quite publisised round these parts but that was one poor lad who was pushed from pillar to post by a parent who was too pushy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Sonny Pike has had huge personal problems that have been quite publisised round these parts but that was one poor lad who was pushed from pillar to post by a parent who was too pushy

All I remember is him on Fantasy League Football in his Ajax shirt, when the program was good
  • Options
    Wasn't he the kid with the really long hair?

If it was I remember seeing him on Woolwich common doing keepie uppies and being filmed by a TV crew
  • Options
    yeah thats him lets just say as most outstanding 5 and 6 year old footballers once others have had the coaching and the time put it in by coaches on technique the kids that were not as good as you catch up and when your not the best in the team anymore you either try harder or you end up at the bottom and that was what happened to Sonny i know some of the first team adults at my sons Footie club know him quite well and the stories they tell are quite frightening about what can happen to your kids at these clubs and sometimes as parents we should listen to the too much too young lyrics as i am sure the family would give everything they earned from his footballing ability back to have their son back not the shell of a lad that there is now
  • Options
    I always wondered what happened to him. His old man was on swains or stobbarts wasn't he?

Jim Corbett who went to Blackburn from pikeyville Gillingham was not great when we were younger but bloody quick. Haven't seen him in years but heard he was playing semi-pro somewhere now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scott Parker, anybody remember him?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]yeah thats him lets just say as most outstanding 5 and 6 year old footballers once others have had the coaching and the time put it in by coaches on technique the kids that were not as good as you catch up and when your not the best in the team anymore you either try harder or you end up at the bottom and that was what happened to Sonny i know some of the first team adults at my sons Footie club know him quite well and the stories they tell are quite frightening about what can happen to your kids at these clubs and sometimes as parents we should listen to the too much too young lyrics as i am sure the family would give everything they earned from his footballing ability back to have their son back not the shell of a lad that there is now

i dont want to criticise your writing as its good but just a couple of full stops or commas and paragraphs and it would be so much easier for my old eyes to read. unless i think i need to go and see a optician.
  • Options
    sorry curbs