Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Sat 7th May 1988. Chelsea 1 Charlton 1

124»

Comments

• Options
    DA9 said:

TelMc32 said:

Had to change my security pass at Barclays in Canary Wharf this morning and was sorted out for me by our very own Carl Leaburn!

Have great memories of that day at the Bridge. One of my favourite games for Carl alongside the chipping of a certain Peter Shilton at Derby all those years ago.

I thought the Shilton chip was at Selhurst?
    No, away at Derby, right in front of the home fans at the old Baseball Ground.
  • Options

I rate this as equal to or even better than the play off final as the best game i've been to. Was convinced I was having a heart attack throughout the match such was the tension.

Didnt Durie go close with a free kick right at the death ?

Seemed like hours that we were kept in afterwards

Was kept in for 45-60 mins afterwards, we drove home and went down the Old Kent Road at near enough 7pm and it was full of Millwall celebrating their last game of the season and going up as champions.
  • Options
    The Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/8717681440/

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options

DA9 said:

TelMc32 said:

Had to change my security pass at Barclays in Canary Wharf this morning and was sorted out for me by our very own Carl Leaburn!

Have great memories of that day at the Bridge. One of my favourite games for Carl alongside the chipping of a certain Peter Shilton at Derby all those years ago.

At the Baseball ground, I know, I missed the goal as I went to the loo, heard the cheer. I asked a steward who scored, he told me that your black centreforward has just chipped Shilton, I replied yeh I believe that.

I thought the Shilton chip was at Selhurst?
    LOL G...that's actually the sanitised version of what you said wasn't it?
  • Options
    And just in case anyone still hasn't seen the video...
    http://vimeo.com/groups/charltonlife/videos/5271029
  • Options
    25 years ago. There I was in the away end and my kids were just a slight tingle in the milkmans ball bags...
  • Options
    Can remember being kept in for about ten minutes
  • Options
    Old man tells me he was in the home end for this one with my Chelsea supporting uncle, he got pelted with coins and all sorts including a pie, when we scored cos he decided to celebrate along with a few other Charlton dotted about!
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Who was the match filmed for, as it doesn't look like an ITV or BBC production?

I recall being kept in for ages after the game. I also remember the National Front recruiters outside the ground...

Looking at that team, it's hard to see how Chelsea could have struggled so much. Nevin, Dixon and Durie up front, Dorigo and Steve Clarke as fullbacks plus Pates who we later sold on to Arsenal.
    http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/match/index.html?event=3;season=1987/88;team=266#
    Interestingly, Spurs were only 5 points from safety that season, it's hard to imagine Chelsea and Spurs struggling like that now...
  • Options
    It's the Official Chelsea match video
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:

I bet that was a big seller :-)
  • Options
    I seem to remember being kept in the ground for at least 45 mins after the game.
  • Options

aliwibble said:

I know a Charlton friend who bought it. Great seeing Miller wave bye bye down the tunnel at end of the match.
  • Options

aliwibble said:

I know a Charlton friend who bought it. Great seeing Miller wave bye bye down the tunnel at end of the match.
    I bought it too! Went over to the Chelsea club shop and made the purchase!
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Thanks for posting this... I've just relived it... This was probably my first away game. I was 15, dad took me. There was a nasty atmosphere the whole day, including when we went to a corner store before the game and a bunch of Chelsea fans basically walked in, grabbed whatever they wanted and walked out without paying! The shop keeper just shrugged if I remember...I was just behind the group of the Chelsea fans when they kicked off in our end (when they got their penalty?)

Great save from Bolder fromt he free kick near the end and Dorigo's shot wasn't far away... mind you Andy Jones should have put that chance away!!

• Options
    All here, just needed a nudge.......
  • Options
    The most hostile atmosphere I've ever been in, very glad to get back to the sanctuary of South East London.
  • Options
    First time I've read this for a while... my bickering with OohAhh on the first page made me laugh. If away followings were the only thing we had to moan about now, we'd be happy.

• Options
    edited May 2016

[cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Never ever seen Leaburn lose it before - he went absolutely mad once he came round!

A scary day out with the right result.

Somehow don't think it will still get discussed on Chelski message boards, do you? Consigned to their long last past.

When they played West Ham the next season they were taunted by the ICF singing "Chelsea run from Charlton", told that by a close pal who is an appy hammer. If anyone remembers the CS gas attack on some Charlton at White City tube the following season after we were at QPR, that was Chelsea trying to exact revenge, they came unstuck then too.

I remember that at White City, think @TEL may have been there too.

• Options
    Went with a mate who is WestHam.He got lobbed out very early on.THink during the fracas when the DOris also got removed.
    iJust recall seeing him getting paraded around the track.....good turn out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a game this was 30 years ago today.