Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

£2.5 million payoff

WSSWSS
edited November 2006 in General Charlton
Former Northern Ireland hero Iain Dowie was today coming to terms with losing his job as Charlton's manager.

In a surprise move last night, Charlton announced that they had parted company with Dowie just 12 league games into his reign.

Charlton may lie bottom of the Premiership, but even so many of their fans believe that Dowie's departure has come too early.

It is understood he still has two and half years of his contract left and that being the case, the favourite with Windsor Park fans could be in line for a £2.5 million pay-out.

Comments

• Options
    £2.5m less to spend on players come January.
  • Options
    again, not confirmed by anyone other than the Windsor Park Press!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]again, not confirmed by anyone other than the Windsor Park Press!

You must admit though, it's very unlikely that he would have gone without a payoff.
  • Options
    We should have done a swap with the Irish FA

Dowie for Sanchez.

Everyone's happy
  • Options
    there will be a sizeable payment, but it will not be for the level quoted.
  • Options
    This may sound silly but I wonder if there is a clause related to performance, that allows for termination without having to pay off the whole contract?
  • Options
    There should have been if there wasn't!
  • Options
    we must have some clause limiting liability if it all went tits up in the first season.

surely we couldn't be that naive knowing how hard it would be to find the right guy to succeed curbs.
  • Options
    Anyone into employment law here?

I was under the impression that all new employers have a six months 'probation' period when they first join - would this be the case with Dowie and if so when was/is his six months up?
  • Options
    would this be the case with Dowie and if so when was/is his six months up

Dowie joined late May, though when he signed his contract I don't know.

I'm not an expert in unemployment law but I did notice that Dowie was sacked almost exactly three months since the start of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Just asked one of my guv's, he say's there could be a few things going on, unfair dismissal etc, but at the end of the day if your employer thinks you are not doing the job properly then they can get rid of you! I thought you dont have any rights until you have worked somewhere for 12 months!
  • Options
    As a retired HR person I might be able to help........
    Under employment law an employee can sue for unfair dismissal after 12 months employment. However all employees have contracts and whilst a contract cannot take the place of the law it can add to it. In this case I would expect that CAFC would have a performance clause in their contract with ID. By having an open and honest 2 week review I would guess that they would be able to invoke the performance clause which would then enable them to terminate the contract without paying out the remaining contract. However I would also expect that they have paid ID some compensation which might involve costs towards his Jordan case plus some cash which would all be wrapped up in a compromise agreement which would bind ID to silence with regard to his dismissal. - just a guess though!
  • Options
    Could be true lancashire lad as ID aint come out and said nowt, well yet anyway