Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Seasons Squad

Comments

• Options
    The stripes make him look like Micky quinn unfortunatly he plays as well as him

(watch out here we go again we shouldnt have sold him) :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]We have won 16 games this season and Fortune played in 11 of those.
    How many of those 11 were without Reid playing?
  • Options
    good question salad
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]We have won 16 games this season and Fortune played in 11 of those.
    How many of those 11 were without Reid playing?

The only one I can recall off the top of my head (because he was sent off!) is Ipswich.
  • Options
    Len, you're wasting your time matey spinning your Wheel of Fortune.

He is a half decent number two centre half, as long as there is someone more dominant, quicker and imposing in air next to him. Its a lot to ask.

Don't take my word for it, but have heard from more than one person about a questionable attitude on the training pitch and away from the club.

He is a defensive Lisbie situation. If he really is that bothered about moving his career on, he needs to get away from this club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]If he really is that bothered about moving his career on, he needs to get away from this club.

he saw what happened with parker and doesn't want to fall into the same trap and be unpopular with the fans
  • Options
    I dont think you could ever throw at forts that he aint charlton through and through as i believe that he is and i have met him and spoke to him many times this season even after he got sent off at home to ipswich. i just dont think he has shown us on a consistant basis as to why he should stay at a club with premiership ambitions
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Len, you're wasting your time matey spinning your Wheel of Fortune.

He is a half decent number two centre half, as long as there is someone more dominant, quicker and imposing in air next to him. Its a lot to ask.

Don't take my word for it, but have heard from more than one person about a questionable attitude on the training pitch and away from the club.

He is a defensive Lisbie situation. If he really is that bothered about moving his career on, he needs to get away from this club.

I don't claim he is a Rufus BUT he did a decent job in the Prem for us as you say alongside the right type of centre half. Sodje at a pinch is that man but I'd prefer a better, bigger Sodje if possible! Struggling for names just now though.

As for his commitment the guy played through the pain barrier with a fractured toe in our relegation season.

In my opinion Paddy, good attitude that he undeniably has, is not Premiership or aspiring Premiership quality. Bougy has some quality but also has a touch of the El Karkouris. For that reason Fortune and AN Other (Sodje maybe) would do the job.

I think we all agree that any spare dosh needs to go on strengthening the midfield primarially.

I wanted to keep Lisbie too!
  • Options
    Ambrose Sell - inconsistent
    Arter Squad
    Basey Squad
    Bent Sell
    Magic Squad
    Christensen Sell – Bad Attitude
    Dickson Squad -1st on teamsheet
    Elliot Squad/Loan
    Faye Sell – if anyone will buy
    Fortune Sell – needs change as per Lisbie
    Gibbs Squad (good enough for US)
    Gray Sell
    Halford Return
    Holland Sell/Release
    Iwelumo Sell
    McCarthy Sell
    McLeod Squad (possible sale/loan January)
    Montiero Squad
    Moo2 Squad
    Powell Coach
    Racon Squad
    Randolf Squad/Loan
    Sam Squad
    Sankofa Sell
    Semedo Squad
    Shelvey Squad/Loan
    Sinclair Sell
    Sodje Return
    Thatcher Sell/Release
    Thomas A Sell/Release
    Thomas J Sell – Bad Attitude
    Todorov Squad (6 month contract to assess)
    Varney Squad (or sell if rift with AP)
    Walker Sell
    Weaver Squad
    Wright Sell/Loan
    Youga Squad
    ZZ Squad

Short of 38 - who've I missed? That gives us 19 players, some only on the fringes, and AP should bring in half a dozen more, 3 loans and 3 QUALITY proven buys for a squad of 25, until December. If we're not in top 2, bye bye Al, hallo Bowen or Adkins.
  • Options
    I don't believe that there is going to be much of a cull - we did that this season and look what happened !!

Also I don't believe that the likes of Varny or Mcleod, will be sold as they only signed new contracts last season (probably for 3-4 years) and so unless we got our money back it will be a waste of time - also the likes of McCarthy, Semedo, Iwelumo etc who signed for free are also under contract and so unless clubs pay us a fee will not be going anywhere.

I can see Thatcher,Toddy and maybe Holland going as out of contract and also the likes of Thomas ZZ and to a lesser degree Ambrose may leave if we got around £1m for EACH of them.

therefore no HUGE change in personnel but a few leaving and a few arriving - Pards has says where he needs to strengthen and indicated it was likely to be only around 3or 4 positions. I also feel we prob have around £5m to spend, plus anything we can get by offloading some.

The majority of the squad is here already - get used to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ZZ wont be going no where IMO (also china are not high enough in the rankings to go i dont think)

I agree with the last bit Golfie the majority is here and we really do need to get used to it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Ambrose Sell - inconsistent
    25% of our goals this season have either been scored by Ambrose or he has provided the official assist for them.
  • Options
    i would only sell him because he is one of the few players who would generate some much needed cash to get someone who can take corners and free kicks properly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i would only sell him because he is one of the few players who would generate some much needed cash to get someone who can take corners and free kicks properly

shelvy has put more corners actually in the danger area in 1 match than ambrose has since he joined us.
  • Options
    I wonder what Pardew would make of the suggestions on this thread?

I should think he's already decided who he wishes to let go or trade in, if the right offer was made.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I wonder what Pardew would make of the suggestions on this thread?

what's your initial thinking Oggy ?

I don't think everyone is being 100% sensible. I may be wrong but i think a lot of opinions are based purely on who they would like to keep / offload, with no consideration that player sales will most likely HAVE to be made. To sell, there has to be some formof demand, on from that, it is likely to be 'perceived' better, or more marketable, players.
  • Options
    Well, to be honest - in time honoured tradition, I don't really know.....!

First consideration for Pards, he'll have been told to cut back the wage bill.

That could mean players he would like to keep, eg Ambrose, Bougherra, Weaver, could be vulnerable to the right offer; even Gray & Varney, at a pinch. It trims the wage bill and brings in cash to wheel & deal with.

Second, players he's already determined to let go; Thatcher, Fortune, Gibbs, Thomas, that he sees not only as surplus but are either on Prem type salaries or, if out of contract, wouldn't re-sign for a Championship wage.

He'll scratch his head over Holland & Powell - but he'll want to keep them around the squad because of their influence on other players. Maybe it's a choice of one or the other. And they would probably conform to budget regarding salaries.

He'll be tempted to keep Toddy, if his fitness can be proved - there won't be many free transfers available with his quality. Maybe pay as you play or 3 month contract. I'm sure Toddy knows that he'll no longer command a Prem type salary.

With the exception of ZZ, the rest, more or less, will command Champs or young pro contracts - so no problem.

I've a feeling he might want to keep Sodje & Halford. Solid enough at Champs level and sound pro's.

He's admitted the side hasn't sufficient steel & physical presence. Surely his priority will be centre mid - not only the box to box type, (maybe his old player Mullins from Wham), but with leadership qualities - he'll know ideally he needs to replace Holland mid term.

If he is able to keep the backbone of the team, even though they are the higher earners, he will and fill in the holes around them. I think he'll look to sign a couple of Champs players who've made an impression on him.

You never know folks, that could include Kevin Lisbie ........ ;o)
  • Options
    I would get rid of the the following players:-

Sankofa
    Fortune
    Thatcher
    Sinclair
    Gibbs
    Thomas

And then we need to bring a right back, centre mid and left midfield, as well as sign Sodje on a perm deal
  • Options
    To keep the signing fees down and stabilise the club it should be 5 in 5 out tops - centre mid must be the priority and Pardew needs to know the spine of the team pretty quickly and settle it down - whatever people said about Curbs towards the end he was a master at managing a 25 man squad on a budget where talented youth could force there way in.

£500K a year for people who change games and make the club win and/or more entertaining is one thing but I hope this is not the standard contract for the current mob?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]11k per week you are fecking joking me

As I said alleged,but I re callitbeing quoted that he was on 3 at Colchester and came to us for 11

[cite]Posted By: seriously_red[/cite]To keep the signing fees down and stabilise the club it should be 5 in 5 out tops - centre mid must be the priority and Pardew needs to know the spine of the team pretty quickly and settle it down - whatever people said about Curbs towards the end he was a master at managing a 25 man squad on a budget where talented youth could force there way in.

£500K a year for people who change games and make the club win and/or more entertaining is one thing but I hope this is not the standard contract for the current mob?

Agree with the 5 in but not sure it will happen,but we need to gewt the squad down to manageable levels through non contract renewalls,sales and loans out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey, am I the only one here that would keep Holland?
  • Options
    Nope, Harvey ......see my 'what's Pard's thinking?' post on this thread, I'm sure Pards will offer Holland a further 1 year contract. Nailed on. FACT!

In fact, we could do a lot worse than keep Holland, so I'd vote to keep him too.
  • Options
    i think we'll keep holland if only to be jonjo's chaperone, he gave him a lift home from qpr, or just to be jonjo's chauffeur;-)
  • Options
    HG nope i am in the keep Matty Holland camp big time we are a minority mind
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]Blimey, am I the only one here that would keep Holland?[/quote]

I'd keep Holland around if possible as an influence. The thing is who plays central midfield? Racon, Shelvey, Semedo - they might play the bulk of the games but I'd rather have Holland coming in/off the bench for the last 20-30 minutes and playing in a few awkward games here and there as a stabilising influence.

The chances are though that Holland will hold out for a two year deal and I'm sure that there'll be a few Chamionship clubs around who are prepared to offer him that. What would he get offered at Charlton? I think only another season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]Blimey, am I the only one here that would keep Holland?

I'd keep but he is not a must keep
  • Options
    I believe Pard's sees Holland as a must keep.
  • Options
    If we keep Holland he won't be a squad player, he'll end up playing most games and we'll end up with the same huff puff midfield that achieves nothing. I think we should let him see out his career with a return to Bournemouth.
  • Options
    I know it's just speculation about Iwelumo's wages but if he is on 11k a week then I'd happily let him go to help our budget. Replace him with someone who doesn't give away a foul every time he jumps for the ball.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]I know it's just speculation about Iwelumo's wages but if he is on 11k a week then I'd happily let him go to help our budget. Replace him with someone who doesn't give away a foul every time he jumps for the ball.

Or just some1 who can actually head the ball??!! It annoys me so much we have no1 with any real presence in the air

I think he's not a bad champ player, however we just hoof it up to him when ever he plays, and never play it wide and cross it in.