Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So lets be honest now.....

13»

Comments

• Options
    we are the Charlton samaratans Curb do you have inner hurt that you want to share no need to deny it any longer" Yes pardew has hurt you too" we are here to help
  • Options
    LOL!
  • Options
    Thats better oggs larfing clenses the soul pardew burns it
  • Options
    most disappointing season since relegation in 1980 but you need the bad times to make the good times feel more special !!
  • Options
    good call Oohaa
  • Options
    I agree this has been the most disappointing season, since last season...

In recent times I'd say only 96/7 (if I've got the year right), the previous year we'd been in the play-offs, ko'd by Palace and then lost Bowyer to Leeds. The next season we struggled all year for consistency and missed Bowyer. The following year we adapted and the rest is history.
  • Options
    Probably the worst season since 96/97 BC (Before Clive), although at least at that time Curbishley was assembling the building blocks of what would be a promotion push (Kinsella, Rufus, Robbo, Newts and so on). This was also done on a budget of about thirty quid. This time round, there's very little to show for a lot of expense, and I don't think there's any plan for what comes next at all. Pardew just adopts a scattergun approach and hopes something will work. In 96/7 it was a wishy washy sort of season but I think big chunks of this one have been shockingly bad.
  • Options
    I note from the graphic that the only time we actually lost three in a row (before Sunday), were the three games
    Mrs. Algarve and I attended.

(frowny angry thing)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I agree this has been the most disappointing season, since last season...

In recent times I'd say only 96/7 (if I've got the year right), the previous year we'd been in the play-offs, ko'd by Palace and then lost Bowyer to Leeds. The next season we struggled all year for consistency and missed Bowyer. The following year we adapted and the rest is history.

Agreed, that season of Brendan O'Connell and Bradley Allen was awful.
  • Options
    We got to go up and look at the fog at St.James Park though.

Didn't we sign Gary Poole that season too?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]We got to go up and look at the fog at St.James Park though.

Didn't we sign Gary Poole that season too?

Yes, he scored a cracker at QPR, got injured and then was never heard from again....
  • Options
    For me it's probably the most disappointing season since ....... well, a long while. With hindsight - I was too young at the time to appreciate it - I think I would go with Len Glover and say since something like the 79/80 season.

It's not the worst team we've had since then- no way - but what with all that goes with football these days, the prices, the wages, the players bling, etc, then this season really does rank (or rankle?) up thre.

Even when were were fairly cack in, say, the post Valley return years, we always had the odd hero or two, that little bit of class, the open display of guts and determination. I'm thinking David White, Gary Nelson, and pros like Bumstead, Gattng and Balmer - and that's not even talking abou your gutsy Brown's, Robinson's and Kinsella's.

Hand on heart, who out of this lot would you be telling your grandchildren about n years to come - in a nice way?

Everyone needs a hero.
  • Options
    Nice post Offy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Hand on heart, who out of this lot would you be telling your grandchildren about n years to come - in a nice way?

Child: Tell me about Greg Halford, Granddad.....
    Grabddad: Well, he had the longest throw you ever did see, folk believed he could throw the ball to the moon.....
    Child: Wow, he must have been some player
    Granddad: Actually, no - he was sh*t
  • Options
    This is going to be fun.

Child: did you ever see Jerome Thomas play Grandad?
    Grandad: yes, he had magical talents, and used to mesmorise full backs with his trickery.
    Child: wow, did he set up lots of goals?
    Grandad: no, couldn't cross his legs
  • Options
    Child: Tell me about Cory Gibbs Grandad ?
    Grandad: eh ? EH ? Rory Dibbs ?
    Child: CORY GIBBS GRANDAD
    Grandad: Tory Gits ?
    Child: COOOOOOORY GIBBBBS GRANDAD !!!
    Grandad: Ah Cory Gibbs. You should of said. Never heard of him.
  • Options
    Child: did you ever see Cory Gibbs play in the league Grandad?
    Grandad: Nope
  • Options
    great minds stoney !
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2008
    Child: Grandad, I got told Cory Gibbs could glide past players like he was invisible
    Grandad: Well you could say that kiddo
    Child: Wow! it must have been brilliant to see him play
    Grandad: Hmmm...unfortunately he was invisible to me as well

bugger, i did it as well but then went on the phone before i posted! Damn it
  • Options
    Child: did you ever see Jonjo Shelvey play Grandad?
    Grandad: yes, superb midfielder, took us back to the Premiership
    Child: wow, did he play a lot in the Premiership for us?
    Grandad: no, just when the team was taking shape around him, we sold him to Chelsea for 12 million
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't forget we had the class of Reidy to savour for four or five months of the season.
  • Options
    child: did you really see us play in the top flight of english football grandad?
    grandad: yes we certainly did 50 years ago !!
    child: i've read about it and i can't believe it , is it true our fans at the time took it for granted ?
    grandad: yes, many of them didn't appreciate it and wanted too much too quickly, then our magical manager left and we began this slide into rymans spaceship parts league divison 5
    child:i also read our away following used to be abysmal, i can't believe that considering we just took 250 to play sydney rockets which is the other side of the world and we only average 2,000
    grandad: lots of our fans live in sydney they didn't have far to go
  • Options
    Child: and is it true that the magical manager never left anyone up for a corner?
    Grandad: yes, it seems so unreal looking back at it now
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Child: and is it true that the magical manager never left anyone up for a corner?
    Grandad: yes, it seems so unreal looking back at it now

Nice one HH.....
  • Options
    .. and bought overpaid shite like Marcus Bent, oops.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Child: Tell me about Cory Gibbs Grandad ?
    Grandad: eh ? EH ? Rory Dibbs ?
    Child: CORY GIBBS GRANDAD
    Grandad: Tory Gits ?
    Child: COOOOOOORY GIBBBBS GRANDAD !!!
    Grandad: Ah Cory Gibbs. You should of said. Never heard of him.[/quote]

No...

It'll be, you'll never believe this, he signed for us and on a free transfer, then got injured and that required an operation. When he came back from that operation it was discovered that he needed another operation. That was that for his first season. In his second he was just getting fit when he broke a toe, and missed what was left of the season.

Then what happened grandad?

He signed for Man U, won the league, the cup, the champion's league and became the world's best defender.

Just like Jorge Costa then?

Yeah...
  • Options
    Child Tell me about Izale McCleod grandad
    Grandad Well he had a big red nose huge orange boots and a beau tie that twirled round and round
    Child Did he score any goals
    Grandad No but he could throw a great custard pie
  • Options
    and fall over his big boots in the box
  • Options
    grandad After a few years they let him go on the trapeze