Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Who live from The Valley 1974

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mthSnw3gXEA&feature=related

Another great moment in rock!...... its' only teenage wasteland
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mthSnw3gXEA&feature=related

Another great moment in rock!

How many people on the East terrace???
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI97tPtb604
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS5qjHnL6_I&feature=related....... magic bus
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mthSnw3gXEA&feature=related

Another great moment in rock!

How many people on the East terrace???

Dunno but the numbers just seemed to increase as the day went on. I started sitting close to where the centre circle would be but eventually the bladder gave out and there was no way I was going to fight my way back there so watched the last couple of acts from the East Terrace.

I think I'd be watching most of the gig from there these days!
  • Options
    Worked on stage at both gigs...still got my back stage pass badge,which Henry would like to own...(might leave it to you in my will Ben).
    It was where I first met a very young Alan Curbishley.
  • Options
    Nope I'm not Rebeka...I'm her other half, Gelan...just couldnt resist adding that I was at the 74 gig also. Lindisfarne were brilliant but Baba O'reilly was tops for me. Now youre asking yourselves, whats an old fart like me doing with a young nubile lady like Rebeka...my answer, very well thank you lol
  • Options
    SoundAsa£ 9 hours ago quote# 36
    Worked on stage at both gigs...still got my back stage pass badge,which Henry would like to own...(might leave it to you in my will Ben).
    It was where I first met a very young Alan Curbishley.

tell me more Sound..... The who were originally signed to Track records Hendrix's label, along with Arthur Brown. I interviewed Kit Lambert at track records, circa this time I think it was Christmas 72 were you involved with Track? ( they often used to share the same sound set up) noticed WEM amps and cabinets the same as Jimi at Isle of Wight (1970) and was told that Pink Floyd used this for there massive PA system? . whisper me if you like......

Great concert the who used to put on be good to hear your view of it.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPysDYBChHY

40 years ago this year.

How about an anniversary gig at the Valley?

If only...............
  • Options
    Well saw them only last summer and they still rock, even if they are just a duo now. Do you really think our pitch could take all that?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I was there in 74. Has to be up there as one of the greatest gigs of my life. Inexplicably, while I remember nearly all those others - including what a shocking disappointment Lou Reed was - I just can't remember much about Humble Pie. Which is really odd because I loved them and have always loved Steve Marriott. I saw his Packet of Three at the Half Moon, and have a DVD of him playing Camden in 1985. Yesterday I heard something on our fabulous indie station here from Humble Pie which I will try and track down for all you fellow fans.
    It was Montrose that kicked it all off, wasn't it? Bad Motor Scooter...
    Who played bass for Bad Company? In their opener I thought he had the whole Valley shaking. I can't remember the song, but I can still hear that bassline today

(just realised most of this thread is 4 years old, hope those links still work)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boz Burrell, a Lincolnshire lad was the Bad Company bass player .. like Sting, he was originally a jazz man and was an excellent bass player .. he died quite young
    Humble Pie? .. I remember this as their first live gig .. another 'supergroup', Marriott and Peter Frampton ex Herd, a Beckenham/Bromley based band who use to appear all over south London in small venues before making it big.
    Humble Pie was the epitomy of a stadium band .. 12 bars, riffs, crunching bass and drums, shrieking/wailing geetar solos and of course Marriott's peerless vocals allied to Frampton's sweeter harmonies, pretty face and sex appeal ..... Them was the days
  • Options
    hi Lincs. Thanks for the info. I am sure that wasn't the Pies first gig though, because I had the single " I don't need no doctor" - live - at school, I am sure of that. But I like that description "peerless vocals"
  • Options
    Wasn't it Bad Company's first big gig?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    stonemuse said:

I think it could have been .. in those days, the new supergroups would only do a few English gigs then off to the USA to make the really big money .. Bad Co were under the same management as Led Zep .. the infamous Peter Grant
    .. as I'm sure you know, Bad Co were 2/4 of Free (following Paul Kossoff's death) and 1/4 Mott the Hoople .. I know nostalgia aint what it used to was .. but they don't make em like that no more !! ... ((:>) .. to make life even more confusing Wiki says that H Pie was formed in 1969 and Frampton left in 1972 .. I think that's just wrong .. but it looks like H Pie was formed and playing well before the Valley gig
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/8012637061/
  • Options
    I saw Humble Pie supporting Grand Funk Railroad (yes, I know, who were they?) in Hyde Park in 1971
  • Options

I saw Humble Pie supporting Grand Funk Railroad (yes, I know, who were they?) in Hyde Park in 1971

Both top bands
  • Options
    GFR was a huge con trick (which I admit I fell for). The template for Spinal Tap. Amps at 11. But they got better, I guess. Just looked them up on Wikipedia, still going apparently, and some links to Peter Frampton. Would never have guessed that
  • Options
    We have a fabulous indie radio station in Prague called Radio 1. It's quite a mixture, and on Saturday morning a guy called Tomas Vydra, who has become a mate, plays 60s and 70s rock, but not your usual mix, oh no. Quite how a guy who had to live in Communist Czechoslovakia got to hear not just the big bands like the Who, but also bands like my favourites Stray, is quite a story. Anyway he's partial to a bit of Pie and yesterday he played something I've never heard before - Live at the Whisky A Go Go 1969, For your love - the Yardbirds number. A real slow moody version, 8 minutes or more, and Steve Marriott in top form.
  • Options
    Saw Stray when they released an LP called Mudanzas very good live.
  • Options
    Talking of the Small Faces/Humble Pie - I watched a very poignant documentary about Ronnie Lane over Christmas. I wasn't born until 1969, but I reckon the period 69-73 was absolutely brilliant - so much good music around outside of the prog/glam that that era is associated with. Really enjoying the reissue of 'Harlan County' by Jim Ford at the moment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Yes, it was Bad Company's first gig. I was at The Valley that day and was also lucky enough to see Free's final gig at the Albert Hall a few months before. Last time I saw Paul Rodgers was at Shepherds Bush with the SAS Band.

• Options

and don't forgot Head, Hands and Feet. They kicked the day off.
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7408119282

Also you can see the 1976 concert programme here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7406499630

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    Badger said:

They're still about. Playing The Beaverwood in Chislehurst in March.
  • Options
    Badger said:

great band, saw them quite a few times, including a gig at Woolwich Town Hall. All their early albums are worth a listen, including Mudanzas. Del Bromham was an excellent guitarist and I believe he is now also vocalist.
  • Options

Badger said:

Interesting. Any of the original members apart from Del Bromham, he was always the main man?

Weren't they managed by one of the Krays for a while?

I saw them mainly at the Black Prince on a Sunday night, tanked up by my 16 year old standards, watching Steve Gadd disappear in a cloud of smoke as they launched into Jericho. But there's a thread for all that...
  • Options

Badger said:

Interesting. Any of the original members apart from Del Bromham, he was always the main man?

Weren't they managed by one of the Krays for a while?

I saw them mainly at the Black Prince on a Sunday night, tanked up by my 16 year old standards, watching Steve Gadd disappear in a cloud of smoke as they launched into Jericho. But there's a thread for all that...
    No it's just Del Bromham from the original line up.
  • Options
    41 years ago today

pics @chathmuseum
  • Options
    Very late reply here, but concerning Humble Pie's cover of For Your Love on Live At The Whisky A Go Go, this is the track where, annoyed that the sun-kissed Californian hippies in the audience were talking loudly through the percussion-led intro, Marriot says in the mic: 'Why dontcha SHADDAP!'
  • Options

and don't forgot Head, Hands and Feet. They kicked the day off.
    HH&F - Featuring one of my all time fave guitarists Albert Lee and Chas from Chas and Dave!
    :)