Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LIFE advice

edited April 2008 in Not Sports Related
Just been offered a decent job - but on half the money I was on. I'm not in a particular hurry to get back into work at the moment just for the sake of it and I'm able to survive financially for a few months yet. What should I do?

A. Take the job and start paying tax again you lazy bastard.

B. Tell them to sod off and not to waste your time and effort again getting your best tie dry cleaned especially for the interview.

C. Don't worry Addickted, just keep applying and sending off your CV, the right work will turn up soon enough.

D. Sit back, forget the alarm clock and the commute to work and just ponce off friends and family for as long as possible.

E. Trip over in a major chain store and sue them for your inability to work again and how the stress has made you stop enjoying games at The Valley.

F. Move to Liverpool and claim every benefit under the sun.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    What are your commitments in terms of mortgage, family etc?
  • Options
    Was it in that firm in Croydon that I mentioned? If so take it so I can get some commission.

I'd say A. It gets more and more difficult to get jobs the longer you are out of work. But once you are there take every chance to improve your CV with development and new projects while looking around for other roles.

Also be upfront with them that you aren't happy about the money and would like a review in 6 months when you have proved your worth. Keep a record of jobs well done. savings made, contracts won etc to show that you are worth the extra. If they still say no then you can walk with a clear conscience.
  • Options
    A and keep looking elsewhere...
  • Options
    If you need to work and the job is decent take it but keep looking elsewhere if the money is not enough.

They may improve the package once you are there if you perform well and show signs of being able to move on.

They probably think as you are unemployed and if you are " a certain age" they've got you by the short and curlies and that you will be grateful for anything offered.
  • Options
    take the job...

as if in a few months time you apply for a job paying more etc, they will wonder why you were out of work for so long....

so its better to take the job, even though its crap pay, and then at least you can put it on your cv, that you have more experience etc....and will defo help you get a job later on
  • Options
    D thats what i do
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]What are your commitments in terms of mortgage, family etc?

I suppose we could just about survive, but there would have to be a lot of the second part of D. :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Was it in that firm in Croydon that I mentioned? If so take it so I can get some commission.

I'd say A. It gets more and more difficult to get jobs the longer you are out of work. But once you are there take every chance to improve your CV with development and new projects while looking around for other roles.

Also be upfront with them that you aren't happy about the money and would like a review in 6 months when you have proved your worth. Keep a record of jobs well done. savings made, contracts won etc to show that you are worth the extra. If they still say no then you can walk with a clear conscience.

No Henry. That nice chap hasn't even responded to my E Mail and CV.

No new developments and certainly no improvement in my CV with this job and I've have to get some spectacular amounts of new business to get a share lol.

No problem with the 'not working' bit as I can talk my way around that - this is only week 5 of unemployment in 15 years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]If you need to work and the job is decent take it but keep looking elsewhere if the money is not enough.

They may improve the package once you are there if you perform well and show signs of being able to move on.

They probably think as you are unemployed and if you are " a certain age" they've got you by the short and curlies and that you will be grateful for anything offered.

I would probably have taken the job if I was in the same sitution come August, but just now I think I'm worth more - and I would be of significant benefit to the firm (which is a really small outfit).

However, I think your last paragraph has a ring of truth about it - even if I'm loather to believe right now Len.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]

No Henry. That nice chap hasn't even responded to my E Mail and CV.

Spoke to him yesterday as well as I was after some more work for myself.

I will remind him. That way if you get the job you owe me a big drink : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They always say it's easier to get a new job when you're in a job, so the sensible advice would be A. Better a bird in the hand and all that ;-) Good luck anyway!
  • Options
    so you would rather take money in benefits that get the job.......?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sir_percy[/cite]so you would rather take money in benefits that get the job.......?

Unfortunately the Government doesn't give the likes of me benefits.

Seeing as for the last few years I've been paying 1200 a month in income tax and the maximum NI contributions I think few bob in the hand short term wouldn't go amiss, do you?
  • Options
    Addicted

You must know yourself the amount of wages per annum you feel you are worth.

Key to it is do you have the balls to hang on and take what you feel you are worth or cack it early and take what you can

if it was me i would wait for what i am worth especially if you can wait for a while and still be financially ok then wait

never undersell remember if the pay peanuts they get monkeys and i bet you would find that some of the people there cant do half of what you can so you would end up hating it and moving on again
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: sir_percy[/cite]so you would rather take money in benefits that get the job.......?[/quote]

Unfortunately the Government doesn't give the likes of me benefits.

Seeing as for the last few years I've been paying 1200 a month in income tax and the maximum NI contributions I think few bob in the hand short term wouldn't go amiss, do you?[/quote]

im sure they would give you the dole etc if you are not in a job...

well what i ment was...that if you have been offered a job, you should take it....even if you think you may be worth more...
  • Options
    Take the job...and as Henry has suggested ask for a rise after your review is up.
  • Options
    If it's only your 5th week of unemployment in 15 years surely you can hold out for something better?
    Looking for a job now is easier than when you're working full-time.

As someone else said though, it depends on your personal circumstances, and you haven't really answered that.

Why not do F? - you might get to see a few decent games ;-
  • Options
    Im really pissed off with D.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Im really pissed off with D.

I was going to say "so what's new" : -)
  • Options
    Good point Henry. Ponce level seems to be high regardless of income/benefit situation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Good point Henry. Ponce level seems to be high regardless of income/benefit situation.

LOL
  • Options
    I would take the job and carry on looking. 5 weeks can turn into 5 months before you know it.