Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kite flying

edited March 2008 in Not Sports Related
.....Can it be too windy to fly a kite?

Comments

• Options
    It can certainly be too windy for wind turbines to generate electricity if that's any help...
  • Options
    As a member of the kite society myself we generally use the Beaufort scale as a guide to kite flying , anything over Force 7 ( 32+ MPH ) wind is ususally deemed dangerous to fly a kite and we refrain . Also never fly a kite in wet or stormy weather as static electricity can build up and be conducted down the line and the first rule of kite flying just so that you know is fly safe - have fun !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]It can certainly be too windy for wind turbines to generate electricity if that's any help...

bit windy up in your neck of the woods today??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]As a member of the kite society myself we generally use the Beaufort scale as a guide to kite flying , anything over Force 7 ( 32+ MPH ) wind is ususally deemed dangerous to fly a kite and we refrain . Also never fly a kite in wet or stormy weather as static electricity can build up and be conducted down the line and the first rule of kite flying just so that you know is fly safe - have fun !

Are you one of those nutters who fly a kite with a buggy on blackheath and struggle to move the thing?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]It can certainly be too windy for wind turbines to generate electricity if that's any help...

bit windy up in your neck of the woods today??

Think it's worse at Cheltenham ;-)
    Been windy on and off all winter, up here really. Now's not much worse than it has been! New Year's Day was especially bad - it's just continued since.
  • Options
    I have a phobia of kites. cant be anywhere near one since one came down in did me on my forehead as a young girl!