Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Munich Commemoration

How many people are at all interested in the anniversary of the Munich disaster? It happened when I was about a year old so its relevance to me from a memory perspective is zero, however reading this weekends papers, I have felt quite chiked about it. maybe I am just an old softie, but I would not be unhappy for a minutes silence, far more appropriate than for some we have stood for in the past. I don't think that there are any plans for this and I am not advocating it. What does anyone else think about it.

Comments

• Options
    For me its a Man Utd thing. Great Tragedy and very emotional for Sir Bobby who lived through the experience.
  • Options
    I hate your team

This is how some people think about it
  • Options
    Well I've been reading up about it. It happened the year before I was born but I remember as a kid my Dad and Uncles talking about it.

Yes it's true that Man U became the huge fan based club partly because of it but it was still a terrible thing.

Lets not forget that Duncan Edwards who died of his injuries 15 days after the crash, is considered by those who played with him like Bobby Charlton as the greatest player he ever played with. What would England fortunes have been if he had survived.

Lets also not forget that Frank Swift ex Man City, one of the greatest 'keepers this country ever produced and who kept Sam Bartram out of the England team died in the crash.

Can we imagine how we would feel if it happened to our team?

It's fitting to mark the 50th anniversary with a tribute.
  • Options
    good bost bing i agree.
  • Options
    I care because ti was a great sporting tragedy of this country. Never mind it was Man U - a team I don't hate anyway because we have something in common hatred of SCOUSERS - but the fact that so many englishman were cut down in their prime especially the Edwards fella who according to most people of that era reckons he had no equal.

And for the dickhead fans across the country who sing the "who's that lying on the runway" song they should be ashamedof themselves.
  • Options
    I have read a couple of books on the subject, and there is no doubt it was a tragedy unequaled in British sport (refering to sportsmen, rather than fans). The national team lost some players of exceptional quality, but it's relevance to teams outside Manchester I am unsure about. I would however respect it totally, were I to be at a match next weekend.
  • Options
    there are two programmes re this topic on BBC 4 tonight from 10pm. Might be worth a watch for those of you interested in this subject.

Nation on film
  • Options
    They're doing a minute silence at the England game on Wednesday aren't they? I don't think its going past completely forgotton about.

I don't know too much about it, but it is very sad, and I'm sure should it happen again in this day and age to any team in the top flight it would be tragic and not something to be made light of.
  • Options
    Man Utd are doing one - thats what the big furore has been ongoing about for the last few weeks... as they are playing Man City! could be nasty or then again could be great.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2008
    You're always going to get some idiots and it doesnt matter how many of them there are, it always stands out in a minutes silence. If something had happened to Palace players and it was that anniversary this week I guarantee there would be some people at The Valley on friday who would be rather idiotic.

As an aside, that wheels on the bus song is horrible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The one on Wednesday night I'm worried about, I hope the FA make the point that it wasn't a purely United thing, it effected England badly, the lose of Edwards was a huge loss for the national team, as were the other deaths.

But I just don't trust the provinical northern monkeys who go to England games
  • Options
    Anyone found to be disrupting the minutes silence should be banned from every ground in the country imo.

Yes, they are rivals. They SHOULD sing songs about each other, maybe slating thier fans, their style of football most thing are pretty acceptable. I don't see however how any human being can take pleasure in laughing/singing about another persons death.

it doesnt matter who it is, the loss of a life is a horrible thing, all those people who dies have families, a little respect isnt much to ask.
  • Options
    As an aside, that wheels on the bus song is horrible.

Unfortunately a few idiots sung that at Scunny.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]As an aside, that wheels on the bus song is horrible.

Unfortunately a few idiots sung that at Scunny.

I really don't like that song, I do think there is a boundary to the stuff you should sing
  • Options
    Well dont sing it then FFS !!! sick to death of the moral bolox.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Well dont sing it then FFS !!! sick to death of the moral bolox.

I'm not going to, it's my personal moral boundary, you sing what you like
  • Options
    Good well done ra ra.
  • Options
    songs like that will always be sung lets not fall out about it no need

there was more things we should be trying our hardest as fans to get rid of some of the fith that was sung on saturday was way way over the top way worse than that.
  • Options
    No falling out mate. I dont sing "the wheels" song either but im sick of hearing " we dont song" " no atmosphere" etc etc etc then its almost like we should submit a set of words to a committee before we can sing it these days FFS.

o dear o dear that naughty naughty George Costa song im writing to every Millwall fan and saying sory. Done six 3 more to do.

and as for the i take little jimmy to footie and i dont like the swearing do you really think kids dont swear at school ?
  • Options
    dont subscribe to that either mate good grounding for them.

My little un hears every word however he also knows that i wont tolerate him saying it .

i do feel that some people should take in to account their surroundings before they say what they say

some of the stuff sat was wrong and as an adult i did not enjoy hearing it i do feel that when it gets that bad as a group of people we need to have a word and get it reigned in a tad,

as for breaking seats what point did that prove or what did it achieve???

all on camera the OB was filming from the min it started just brings heat on all taht was there and i am sure no one would have wanted a tug up there long way home and all that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I find though when i jump up or get animated that im lookin around to see if im in peoples way or having vented forth about who i might have upset ! that is right in the human being Vs human being bit but it aint how i want to watch football.
  • Options
    why didnt the seat breaker get chucked out?
  • Options
    This is ludicrous.

There are laws in this land and what is being sung is obscene and illegal. The boundaries keep being pushed and I for one would wish that the Club in conjuction with the Police and the Stewards (home and away) extract the people responsible and ensure they are charged.

Just because you are in a crowd of 1000 or 25000 doesnt give you the right to use these obscenities.

Football fans always have and always will sing rude songs. They have taunted fans and players alike.
    But that is different to the utter filth that some people think they can come out with.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]why didnt the seat breaker get chucked out?
    God knows, maybe they just didnt think he was worth the hassle.
  • Options
    So wot is obscene then ?
  • Options
    I think the OB didnt have enough with them to come in and get that guy although there were not many if any joining in with what he said, he def would have had the backing of some of the others there when it came to getting ejected.

I think the OB would have lifted him outside alot easier and would be surprised if they didnt.

maybe there should be more fan intervention and policing of ourselves i know that in the past it is what happened even if it is just to keep the OB away from our selves i reckon that there was proberly a few already holding what you need to bring to Alans party and if i was one of those i wouldnt want the OB on top of me or my group.

As for getting involved on the things that are said as a confrontation for not seeing eye to eye i reckon all that would achieve is in fighting and that just gets you nicked as well as them
  • Options
    Cant see "how boundaries keep geting pushed" there are a good few songs that where sung 10 years back which are totaly no no now. One about Vince Hillier ! anyone remember it ? does it make your toes curl ?

So its Valley F Road

ra Ra Charlton

Red Army
  • Options
    dont forget that cack

CAFC CAFC CAFC CAFC CAFC CAFZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

boring

on the obscene part

there was sieg heil seig heil

and you wouldnt have done it if i was black
  • Options
    Wouldnt have done it if you were green.
  • Options
    Can you imagine any of that being sung at Twickenham. Or indeed Wembley for that matter.

Personally I have never liked the collective 'whose the w*nker in black'. Disrespectful. When was that first sung I guess. I dont remember it as a kid. Its crept it and now its accepted as a standard.

Your mothers got syphilis wasnt the most intelligent of chants either. My mother wasnt at Scunthorpe. Nor was my wife or daughter. Thankfully.

Charlton has a proud reputation for developing as a family club and getting more youngsters and women coming to the matches. Yes its always been a mans game and a working mans game at that where there is a chance to vent your spleen. I do that and yes I swear.

But a small minority seem to want to take it to its most crude and obscene.