Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 18th Nov 1978. Bristol Rovers 5 Charlton 5

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
Another entry for this eventfull season. Charlton surviving relegation with a win on the last day of the season. The game below followed a good run of results, winning away at Blackburn 2-1, Leicester 3-0, Millwall 2-0 and Cardiff 4-1 with a home 4-1 victory over Newcastle in between.

Saturday 18th November 1978 Bristol Rovers 5 (2) (Randall 31 35 65, Williams 56 68 (pen)) Charlton Athletic 5 (3) (Tydeman 14, Robinson 41 62, Flanagan 44 49). Eastville. Att: 8,120

Bristol Rovers: Thomas, Aitkin, Bater, Day, Taylor, Prince (Hendrie 46), Dennehy, Williams, Staniforth, Randall, Barry.

Charlton: Wood, Shaw, Campbell, Tydeman (Peacock 16), Shipperley, Berry, Brisley, Robinson, Flanagan, Madden, Gritt.

Referee: M Baker (Wolverhampton)

Penalty awarded against Brisley for foul on Hendrie.

This was the highest scoring draw in the Football for 12 years.

Comments

• Options
    Being a bit pedantic here, but surely it should be the " the day/date that was" instead of "the week that was" ?
  • Options
    I was at University in Bristol when this game was played so,of course, I was at Rovers' old Eastville ground for this game. What a strange ground it was; a greyhound / speedway track round the outside of the pitch, while sitting virtually underneath the M32 motorway into Bristol.

It all seems so long ago that I can't remember much about the game itself. Just that feeling of great disappointment at the end that we had thrown away a 4-2 & a 5-3 lead & only ended up with a draw in a game we should have won.

Paul Randall was an exciting young striker for Rovers at that time. I can't remember what happened to him though. Funny that all 10 goals had been scored by the 68th minute, with no more coming in the last 22 minutes.
  • Options
    My memory of this game was sitting at home listening to LBC. That and the teletext were the only medium in those days for getting game updates if you didn't go. Oh how far we have come in almost 30 years, eh?

It was a real topsy-turvy game and Peter Burrows was struggling to keep up with it. Great game though and it fuelled Addicks fans opinion that we had to score 6 to win in those days. I wonder if there has been a higher scoring draw since? If so, what was it?
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I can remember tuning in to Grandstand and hearing we were 5-3 up. Great to score 5 and win I thought - wrong, wrong, wrong!!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I had a nights free beer on the strength of that game!

A mate I played rugby with is a gashead and we bet the night's beer on the result. I negotiated the draw as we were away.

We played our game and came into the clubhouse to find out the results and neither of us could believe it!
  • Options
    "I wonder if there has been a higher scoring draw since? If so, what was it?"

None involving us but I can remember a 6-6 between QPR & Newcastle in the 80's
  • Options
    there was a 6-6 between us and Boro. Can't remember the year, have to look it up.
  • Options
    edited November 2007

http://www.cafc.co.uk/personality.ink?page=7629
  • Options
    My car wouldn't start after that game so we got Martin Robinson, Dick Tydeman and I think Paddy or was it Flanagan to shove the car onto a side road and they invited us to join them on the team coach back to London which of course we accepted. Cost me £50 to get the car back on a low loader the following week which was a lot of dosh to an 18 year old then but it was worth it to see Tydeman sneaking down the back of the coach to have a crafty fag lol. The game was a cracker too but Terry Brisley was really pissed off that we'd thrown away a 5-3 lead as he told us all the way back. Happy days.
  • Options
    Great story Brian. You can just imagine getting a lift in one of the players Bentley's now after they had helped push your car off the road in their hermes suit....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry for the lack of material lately, promise to be back soon with some new ones.

For the newer members that may not have seen last years entries.
  • Options
    What are the odds on a repeat tonight?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]I was at University in Bristol when this game was played so,of course, I was at Rovers' old Eastville ground for this game. What a strange ground it was; a greyhound / speedway track round the outside of the pitch, while sitting virtually underneath the M32 motorway into Bristol.

Quite a grim atmosphere to the ground, all grey corrugated iron, not much atmosphere as the crowd seemed so far away from the pitch. Seemed time warped in the 1930s.
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]My memory of this game was sitting at home listening to LBC. That and the teletext were the only medium in those days for getting game updates if you didn't go. Oh how far we have come in almost 30 years, eh?

It was a real topsy-turvy game and Peter Burrows was struggling to keep up with it. Great game though and it fuelled Addicks fans opinion that we had to score 6 to win in those days. I wonder if there has been a higher scoring draw since? If so, what was it?

I'd been to Eastville a couple of times before ......although I had to work that day - but like you Chicago, listened to Peter Burrowes on the radio, a little transistor radio I had to hold to my ear. Transistor radios, eh ......? kids of today don't know what you're talking about. ;o)

Terry Brisley in midfield ...... came from Orient if I remember. Had the first touch of an elephant but wasn't afraid to work his nuts off.

Remember being at Turf Moor late 70s .......and we were 4-1 up with about 25 mins to go.
    Just scraped a point as a late Burnley rally pulled it back to 4-4.

And Hillsborough ...... 4-1 up and we lost 5-4.

Ah, those were the days ........ imagine the Suicide Squad on Charlton Life today if we chucked away a 4-1 lead and lost, lol
  • Options
    and what a classic this was 35 years ago!
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7406257252

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    those were the days.............goals galore !! didn't we also win 5-4 that season ??
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Went to this on the coach. I think the following year we drew 1-1 there and we all got run by the Rovers nutcases and were spread around that open end. The goals were on the Big Match the following day and when Flan scored I could see me and my two mates jumping up and down at the front of the oval terracing before sheepishly putting our hands back in our pockets!
  • Options
    Remember this game well. I was at Warwick University and myself and a fellow Charlton supporting student went a few weeks earlier to a league cup game at Chesterfield where we had won 5-4. We took a couple of Manchester United supporters with us who were stunned with the openness of the play. We took a different couple of mates to the Bristol Rovers game but warned them not to expect nine goals!

We also went to a re-arranged cup game at Eastville on a Monday night, about two months after the 5-5 game, which we lost 1-0: one of the worst games I have ever seen.

Generally speaking we were superb away from home in the first half of that season. In addition to the two games mentioned above I can also remember watching us win 3-0 at Leicester and 4-1 at Cardiff.
  • Options
    I went to this game and thought Shipperley was our only good defender, and I thought he scored a goal as well. Couldn't believe it when I read in the paper next day that Nelson had publicly given "Arthur" an almighty public roasting after the game.
  • Options
    This is making me feel old...I was only 19 at the time :o(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jeez - was it really 35 years ago? I remember that game well - remarkably, all ten goals were squeezed into half of the 90 minutes. Eastville was nicely bleak, with a grey corrugated stand overlooking an oval greyhound track with the pitch in the middle; Simon Inglis's definitive book on football grounds says there used to be flower beds behind each goal. The 'away' end was a crumbling terrace abutted by an elevated section of the M32 - motorists were actually slowing down to cop a bit of the action.

After the game I walked to the Fox pub in a half-demolished terrace on the way back to Temple Meads station: it was one of a handful of pubs owned by Camra (a short-lived venture), serving real ales in what was then an ocean of fizz. A bizarre day.
  • Options
    I remember waking up the next day and being sort of happy with the point until my Dad told me we'd been 4-2 and 5-3 up.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Mametz said:

We also went to a re-arranged cup game at Eastville on a Monday night, about two months after the 5-5 game, which we lost 1-0: one of the worst games I have

Skipped off school and went to that with Bolloxbolder, terrible game, ended up walking home from Woolwich to Belvedere, freezing to death in the process. The 5-5 was surreal really, kind of summed up the Nelson era, scoring for fun but incapable of getting a result away from home. Typically, Nelson took the chance to slag off Big Ship, general consensus was he was no better or worse than the other defenders, but according to Nelson he was to blame for all five goals.
  • Options
    i was there. im sure we hit the bar in the last min as well.
  • Options
    Here's the goals (43secs in) on this supurb You Tube 'channel'. Some wonderful bloke put the goals from this day from 68-83 up last year and this was on the updates. Vague memories of a excitable Peter Burrows bringing me the news of this game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds6a1ZFJ4Vw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUZOrx7eoZGwGKtMFZhj0d8w
  • Options
    Great stuff McCartney. I enjoyed that.
  • Options
    It was 5-5 with 22 minutes to go was an incredible match. Rovers had won all their 7 home league games prior to that day.
  • Options
    Great 4th goal from us. Their pen proves that diving for a penalty is hardly a new invention. Loved those highlights.