Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deacons & Mithras

Been off for past couple of weeks, walking out of Cannon street this morning
i noticed Deacons, Mithras & other shops all closed down...
Are they knocking that area down as well to re-develop it??

Had some right messy nites in Deacons & Mithras!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    same here. First city bars i ever started drinking in, and three generations of my family have drunk in Deacons.

Going to be a big shopping complex apparently, and won't be fully finished for about 3 years.

Am gutted, and never new it was going to organise one final hurrah for old times sake.
  • Options
    thats crazy.. the city has enough shops!!
    cant believe they have got rid of the legend that is Deacons!
  • Options
    That whole block is coming down. It's got a massive footprint so whatever goes up there is going to be huge. What with this development and the one that is already underway on the corner of Cheapside opposite St Pauls there is going to be a hell of a lot of retail space in the square mile in the next two or three years. I can't see it being sustainable myself - there is only really lunchtime for people to go out and spend money - but what do I know!
  • Options
    Does that mean that Bar Capitale, home of the world's largest pizzas but the bluntest knives, has also shut down?
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Does that mean that Bar Capitale, home of the world's largest pizzas but the bluntest knives, has also shut down?

yes, everything along walbrook, and connected on Cannon St and Queen Vic Street. Slug n Lettuce, the thai place, the lot.

There is a Bar Cap underneath the old Mappin n Webb building (the multi-coloured one with Coq D'Argent on top)
  • Options
    The old Mithras which was legendary was fantastc. Used to be up a little alley way behind Mappin & Webbs.
    I found the new Mithras in Wallbrook too big.
    So many decent drinking places in the the City have gone over the years. The Guild, The City Circle, Chapters just to name a few. We've recentley lost Balls Bros Kings Arms Yard which was a cosy little place. Balls Threadneedle St was another great venue as was the original Corney & Barrows in Old Broad St, reputedly the first Wine Bar in the City.
    Don't fret I'm sure they'll be plenty more Slug & Lettuces, All Bar Ones and O'Neils opened up soon.......groan!
  • Options
    i understand Mithras is re-opening down St Swithins
  • Options
    Well the Mithras Group already have a bar down there - Swithins- so that seems a bit strange.
  • Options
    Yep, my firms old place on New Change/Cheapside, the old BoE building has been demolished and a shopping centre is going up there too...

Like off-it has said, can't see that many shops being sustainable
  • Options
    the 'new' mithras was the old cotillion rooms, one of those 'elizabethan' eateries or something and more of a lunchtime eaterie, evening funcion, occasional disco type place...as mentioned the previous mithras was up the alley that had the old green man pub on the corner and because of the price of its beer (becks was the favourite there i think) it was mostly inhabited by brokers and dealers expense accounts...now the deacons, if you really want to get nostalgic about it used to have a blinding disco downstairs in the 70's, particularly on a thursday night (i went there on a saturday night a couple of times but it wasn't a patch on the thursday night)...green man to start with at 5pm, drinking pints of tartan and then round to the deacons about 8pm to 11pm (about the only place in the city you could get a drink after 8pm in those days)...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Yep, my firms old place on New Change/Cheapside, the old BoE building has been demolished and a shopping centre is going up there too...

Like off-it has said, can't see that many shops being sustainable

Not entirely shopping, my firm is moving there when it's built in 2010 or something.