Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Palin

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]there rather naff henry,ok we have tradition but there second division.

If you think that last night of the proms is naff then you've clearly never been to it!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well said Algarve, we English love it when we go on holiday and lap up all that stuff and then ran a mile if anyone suggests listening to English folk music or doing some Morris Dancing, me included.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    And can I add one more English tradition that I love and that is not naff at all and that has taken a battering but is still going strong. Pub names and signs. I haven't seen anything similar (unless direct copying) in my limited experience.

In Ireland, Scotland and USA you are more likely to get the owners name outside. Bars in Europe don't have the same sort of naming or signage.

A lot of local and national history in pub names such as the Royal Oak, Turks Head, Green Man, Floyds, etc and the variety of signs is wonderful. One of the things that makes the pub special and very English.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]And can I add one more English tradition that I love and that is not naff at all and that has taken a battering but is still going strong. Pub names and signs. I haven't seen anything similar (unless direct copying) in my limited experience.

In Ireland, Scotland and USA you are more likely to get the owners name outside. Bars in Europe don't have the same sort of naming or signage.

A lot of local and national history in pub names such as the Royal Oak, Turks Head, Green Man, Floyds, etc and the variety of signs is wonderful. One of the things that makes the pub special and very English.

You forgot Wetherspoons, The Slug and Lettuce and The Heel, Tap and Bumper Henry
  • Options
    Village Idiots - Now there's a tradition that needs to be rediscovered!
  • Options
    I think Charlton have their fair share.......
  • Options
    what about drinking ten pints and swedging down the high streets on a friday night? its a tradition that stretches back decades
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Village Idiots - Now there's a tradition that needs to be rediscovered!

I think Simon Jordan's been keeping the tradition up quite well for a few years!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]very intrested in the new programme,love seeing some of the old countrys and there traditions,makes you realise england has none[/quote]

No offence Nolly, but this may well be the most ridiculous post ever posted on CL, apart from mine last season when I predicted Hasselbaink would score 15 goals for us.

Now if you want a country with no tradition (not including true native tradition) get yourself down here to Oz!
  • Options
    Brewing real ale
    Wind ups
    Sunday roasts
    The fry up
    Running the country down

All great british traditions. Nolly has demonstrated the last one pretty well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it's not until you have spent anytime out of the country that you realise just what a damn fine tradition British pubs are in their own right

ok - loads have been bastardised i these days of chain pubs & second rate gastro conversions, but a good old fashioned country pub is to be cherished

there is a drive i do every now & again from here in Canmore to Cochrane (Alberta), it takes you through some of the most beautiful scenery you could wish for - long winding empty roads, snow capped mountains to the west, lakes & prairies to the east - 80 or so miles of sheer beauty but there is not one, not one pub on that road - and if there was it would be naff, with more TV's than your local Dixons - all showing the inane boredom that is NFL, NBA, MLB or whatever else they glance at over here - all serving piss poor beers & monstrous plates of waxy nachos

do not underestimate the tradition of hitting a cosy old British pub for a few pints of real ale & good old stroke of your beard while you pore over the Guardian
  • Options
    Never miss an opportunity to put up the lyrics to England's Glory. Written by Ian Druy and first released by Max Wall.

I'm too young to get all the references so can someone tell me who Reg Hampton was.

There are jewels in the crown of England's glory
    And every jewel shines a thousand ways

Frankie Howerd, Nol Coward and garden gnomes
    Frankie Vaughan, Kenneth Horne, Sherlock Holmes
    Monty, Biggles and Old King Cole
    In the pink or on the dole
    Oliver Twist and Long John Silver
    Captain Cook and Nelly Dean
    Enid Blyton, Gilbert Harding
    Malcolm Sargeant, Graham Greene (Graham Greene)

All the jewels in the crown of England's glory
    Too numerous to mention, but a few
    And every one could tell a different story
    And show old England's glory something new

Nice bit of kipper and Jack the Ripper and Upton Park
    Gracie, Cilla, Maxy Miller, Petula Clark
    Winkles, Woodbines, Walnut Whips
    Vera Lynn and Stafford Cripps
    Lady Chatterley, Muffin the Mule
    Winston Churchill, Robin Hood
    Beatrix Potter, Baden-Powell
    Beecham's powders, Yorkshire pud (Yorkshire pud)

With Billy Bunter, Jane Austen
    Reg Hampton, George Formby
    Billy Fury, Little Titch
    Uncle Mac, Mr. Pastry and all
    Uncle mac, Mr. Pastry and all

allright england?
    gwan england
    oh england

All the jewels in the crown of England's glory
    Too numerous to mention, but a few
    And every one could tell a different story
    And show old England's glory something new

Somerset Maugham, Top Of The Form with the Boys' Brigade
    Mortimer Wheeler, Christine Keeler and the Board of Trade
    Henry Cooper, wakey wakey, England's labour
    Standard Vanguard, spotted dick, England's workers
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    You forgot Wetherspoons, The Slug and Lettuce and The Heel, Tap and Bumper Henry

True but pub names have always changed and even Wetherspoons now give their barns "traditional" names.

Just thinking of some pubs we will all know within a few hundred yards of each other.

The Watermans Arms (RIP) - Reflected the areas important river trade and the workers in it.
    The Antigallican - Means Anti-French and commenmorates the many wars against the Frenchies and that Charlton and Woolwich were military towns
    The Horse and Groom - The Woolwich Rd was a main artery into London and for trade between the Garrison/shipbuilding and munitions town of Woolwich and London.
    THe Royal Oak - Charles Stuart doing a runner from the New Model Army and hiding in an Oak Tree
    The Victoria (RIP) - Queen of England and the other bits 1837 - 1901
    The White Horse - Symbol of Kent which Woolwich was a part of when the pub was built.
  • Options
    Christmas isn't an English invention by the way. Comes from Jews in Asia : - )

Not strictly true, December 25th was co-opted by the early Christians who needed a festival of their own. The Romans had Saturnalia, the Jews Hanukkah, the pagans had various festivals based around the winter solstice and the so the christians invented christmas, claiming that was the birthday of Jesus to drag the punters away from the other festivals.
  • Options
    Can't see what that has to do with fertility and the harvest myself so maybe someone else can explain

Traditionally May 1st was the first day of summer, the season in which things grow and before central heating, the NHS and boxed DVD sets pretty much the only time of year when farmers could toil away in reasonably pleasurable conditions - food would have been plentiful etc and didn't have to be rationed to survive winter. The Maypole is a Germanic/Scandinavian pagan tradition that pre-dates christianity.

As far as I know there is no link between Mayday as a pagan festival and international workers day - the latter derives from a strike for workers rights that began on May 1st in Chicago, in 1886 that ended in a massacre a few days later.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Christmas isn't an English invention by the way. Comes from Jews in Asia : - )

Not strictly true, December 25th was co-opted by the early Christians who needed a festival of their own. The Romans had Saturnalia, the Jews Hanukkah, the pagans had various festivals based around the winter solstice and the so the christians invented christmas, claiming that was the birthday of Jesus to drag the punters away from the other festivals.

You are correct but the first Noel was Jewish, Jesus was a Jew and he never walked on England's green and pleasant land.
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Can't see what that has to do with fertility and the harvest myself so maybe someone else can explain

Traditionally May 1st was the first day of summer, the season in which things grow and before central heating, the NHS and boxed DVD sets pretty much the only time of year when farmers could toil away in reasonably pleasurable conditions - food would have been plentiful etc and didn't have to be rationed to survive winter. The Maypole is a Germanic/Scandinavian pagan tradition that pre-dates christianity.

As far as I know there is no link between Mayday as a pagan festival and international workers day - the latter derives from a strike for workers rights that began on May 1st in Chicago, in 1886 that ended in a massacre a few days later.

The connection was that Mayday was a public holiday and so was used for large political gatherings and rallies as well as drinking and folk football. Was there not a Chartist "Riot" in London in 1848 on Mayday.

Food was not always plentiful in May and June. OFten the times before the harvest was very grim as all the food had been eaten over the winter but wild plants and animals were easier to find.
  • Options
    "Was there not a Chartist "Riot" in London in 1848 on Mayday."

You tell us Henry, you were probably there!
  • Options
    In a previous life maybe. : -)
  • Options
    Henry Wrote : You are correct but the first Noel was Jewish, Jesus was a Jew and he never walked on England's green and pleasant land.

Who is this bloke Noel then?
  • Options
    Used to present Noel's Tent Party and Swap Stall in Nazereth in 30 AD.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Damn it - beat me to it and my Bible knowledge isn't up to punning on deal or no deal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]Noel Edmonds. Didn't realise he was Jewish?

Guess Noel Edminds birthday
  • Options
    Thanks Henry, I thought it was the bloke who wrote "Don't let's be beastly to the Romans".
  • Options
    25/12/1962
  • Options
    22nd December - which I'm sure you're about to tell me the significance of!
  • Options
    If he had been born on Good Friday, do you think his Mum would have called him Judas?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]25/12/1962[/quote]

1962! He wished!
  • Options
    1948?!

I really thought he was much younger than that - Mr Blobby kept him young
  • Options
    back to palin,nice guy dont you think?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]back to palin,nice guy dont you think?
    hmmm .... you should've heard what he said about Lisbie.