Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

latest opinions

a lot of people on these boards were saying after 4-5 games things like 'wait until 10-12 games and then judge', and 'our season starts at craven cottage'.
what is their latest opinion?
this isn't a dig at them, the team or dowie, i didn't comment on those topics. i am beginnging to have that sinking feeling and need the optimistic posts to be followed up by results.

Comments

• Options
    I still feel confident. The performances have been good all season and I honestly believe that the results will come.

If we weren't playing well or creating chances then I would be concerned but I don't think that is the case and I still think that there is a lot more to come. The team will gel together more, players that have just come back will get sharper and we still have injured players to come back.

But we have to keep faith and get behind the team, no matter what.
  • Options
    Amen to that Barn Door man. Agree 100%
  • Options
    Carson

Young Diawara ? Traore

Rommedahl Holland Reid Faye Thomas

Bent

Looks pretty good on paper not sure who plays alongside Diawara as all of the others Fortune, Hreidarsson, ELk are not exactly in the best of form.
  • Options
    I think i probably fit into those quotes PBS.

Where i stand at the moment, i think its worrying we got only 1 point from the last two, i still don't think we are getting any realy luck. If one of those stonewall penalties had been given yesterday, we would be talking about steaming up the league today.

My concern is although we are not playing bad, the longer this run goes on, the longer it will effect confidence, the crowd reaction, and in turn affect performance. I remain convinced however there are 3 teams worse than us in this division, and that gives me heart.

I'd go defensive from the start next saturday, with the aim of spoiling the game, getting a point or a late steal, built up for a postive performance in the next home game. Go gung-ho at St James, and we may get burnt. Don't fancy Young up against Duff.
  • Options
    I wanted 4 points from Fulham and watford and we ended up with one. My heart remains optimistic and loyal (it always will) but my head is beginning to think that we are just not good enough.

The question is why? Again, I optimistically put it down to confidence and hope that all will be ok if we can get a 1-0 win soon. Then I remember how close we came to losing yesterday (how that guy shot over I do not know). There seem to be too many indiviudal errors and not enough class and compusre at important points in the game. We should also remember that it was Watford and they certainly seem to be one of the teams going down.

Could we be missing a leader? We have never replaced Kins or Parker and that never-say-die Robbo/Brownie spirit is not there at the moment.
  • Options
    I don't agree that we aren't good enough. Ok we could have lost yesterday but we could also have been 3-0 up at half time. It was only Watford but look at the performances against Arsenal and Chelsea.

I can AFKA's point that is pretty soul destroying to have been putting in the performances that we have for no return however it is the way that we are performing that makes me think that will get out of this sticky patch and start getting results sooner rather than later.

Saying that, it will probably be one of those strange quirks of fate that we will put in a truly dire performance against the Geordies and pick up the 3 points!
  • Options
    these are little things than don't seem to be going for us, though after a while it feels like we are searching for excuses.

We got Pompey and Villa when they were on a high, now Roeder probably has this one against us to save his job.

Its going to be another tense affair again on Saturday, but i tihnk being away from home could work in our favour.
  • Options
    I am happy with the performances, we have been unlucky in many games right from the start with Traore's first yellow card (Bolton game is the only one we have had some luck) so I still think we will come good, and, I am enjoying the games so much more than I have for a couple of seasons.

Being away from home for this games means a bit less pressure, whereas Newcastle will be feeling it big time. In theory I would agree with a defensive team but have got the midfield personnel for this? Stick to 451, Holland did okay, Reid was great in the middle so for me it is just a question of Romm/Thomas - both too infuriating to play together often, I think I would bring in Kish for one of them (toss a coin).
  • Options
    On the plus side we always seem to play well in Newcastle.

On the downside there are two teams desperate not to drop points.

As for luck not going our way...we have to keep creating it and eventually these things balance out.
  • Options
    Still enjoyed game at Weekend, could not see us losing at any point. I am still 100% behind team & Manager

However, I am now changing how I feel from it's only a matter of time before we turn corner to 'I am now slightly concerned'. I thought that Watford team was a poor as an away Premier League side we have had at the Valley in recent years. They will get walloped 4-0/5-0 be several sides this season mark my words.

Felt very down on the train home, still I perked up later on when I got to see our friends on National TV beating the drum for the team. Well done Lady & Gents good effort.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm still surprisingly confident, If we were adrift at the bottom i'd be concerned one win takes up 4-5 places...

We're just not getting the rub at present. Could have had two pens Sat, could have had another against Arse. We've been unlucky while playing some decent stuff. It'll change overnight one fantastic goal or a lucky win and the confidence will come swarming back
  • Options
    I'm still reasonably optimistic - as others have said on paper we do look too good to go down but we have heard that before haven't we?

I think the main problem is decision making - some of the manager's and some the players.

Selection is obviously a point for discussion and I suspect will become even more so as the squad recovers from the injury crisis and the permutations become greater. If El K, Holland and Hughes, in particular, are still being chosen when we have a full squad then I will personally wonder what Dowie is doing.

On the pitch on Saturday we had far too many players making the wrong decision at crucial times. A pass when a shot was on and a shot when a pass was on for example. It's the kind of thing that comes with a settled side - not something we have had the luxury of thus far!
  • Options
    It is only fair I think to point out that Holland had a decent game on Saturday. Perhaps the biggest problem on Saturday was that Bent wasted several good opportunitues, did I hear somewhere that he played despite a hamstring stain?
  • Options
    [cite] sporaddick:[/cite]On the pitch on Saturday we had far too many players making the wrong decision at crucial times. A pass when a shot was on and a shot when a pass was on for example. It's the kind of thing that comes with a settled side - not something we have had the luxury of thus far!

I would have thought that a lot of that is down to confidence. When confidence is high everything comes as second nature, when things aren't going so well there is a tendency to think about things too much.
  • Options
    Barn Door

I accept what you say confidence does have a big effect on this but confidence also comes from having a settled side and formation. We have had a constantly changing line-up with half-fit players and players out of position.

When we have players fully fit and playing with mostly the same colleagues on a regular basis it will benefit understanding and we will get some of that `telepathy' that creates chances hopefully.

My reference re decision making is based on this - Dowie has been forced into certain line-ups because of a availability and players clearly showed a lack of anticipation of runs and/or receiving a pass. They are good players but they are not `clicking' yet. Hopefully that will come soon!