Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Live Albums

13»

Comments

• saw Free upstairs at the Mistrale Beckenham circa 1969/70, somewhere around there, THAT would have made a great live album before Kossof got lost in the white whirl
  • Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-é

Genuinely amazing album.
    Wasn't that technically an EP?
    - Originally released as an EP, but re-released as a 2-disc full-length.
  • My 10 favourite Hendrix Live albums:
    1.Sky High: Outrageous Live jam album at the scene club in New York with Jim Morrisson,Johnny Winter, and Debbie Harry......
    Morrisson was so drunk he fell down on stage, not before he wrecked the crowd, and called out a young Debbie Harry ......... 
    a friend of mine wrote the album notes on the original Woke up  this morning and found myself dead on the  Red Lightning label
    When rock took no prisoners, and a few hit's of acid!......
    2: Live at the albert Hall: triple album including the sound checks. Various versions, including the film, with student art house protechnics, Jimi on his return to the UK playing his heart  out, is joined on stage with Dave  Mason, and most of traffic, the concert ends in a riot with the crowd rushing the stage, after jimi destroyed the Marshall amps.
    3: Live at the Isle of Wight:1970  Jimi playing at 2am in the morning, fighting with his equipment, and producing some of the most outrageous guitar music of all time, including Machine Gun, Midnight lightning, and Red House with 2 guitar solos, and a drum solo, lasting over half an hour, and switching beetween the Gibson flying V and strat. Probably the greatest blues guitar music ever played in the UK?
    4: Live at Woodstock: Double album with Jimi's Gypses sons and Rainbows band: including the Star bangled banner, Villanova junction, Purple Haze: The 4th day of Woodstock regarded by many critics as one of rocks most iconic moments.
    5: Live at the Fillmore east  concerts: The famous black power trio,  Blues, rock, soul fusion. Jimi with Buddy Miles and Billy Cox. The band of Gypses, the result of contractual management wrangles. Taken from 4 sets over two days, some of the best recorded sounds of jimi.
    6:Newport Jazz festival: Jimi jamming with friends : The sky is crying/ We gotta live together.
    7:The LA Forum: Double album dedicated to the black panthers movement. Extra verse added to Voodoo chile ( slight return)
    8: San Diego Sports Arena 69:Johnny be good, Blue suede shoes........
    9:Live @ Berkeley 1970: musical mayhem amongst the tear gas and riots.
    10:Live @ Monterey: Jimi's version of Dylan's 'Like a rolling stone', the guitar sacrifice during Wild  thing, introduced by Brian Jones: Jimi's first concert on his return to the USA. The concert that Pete Townsend refussed to follow jimi on as 'How can you follow that'...

• Understand what you mean cliveg, David himself sounds pretty ropey, quite clearly coked to the eyeballs, and Stage is a great album with songs on it that I like more, but the 74 band just sounds brilliant. Sanborn, Willie Weeks, and I think Luther Van Dross. Right up my funk street.
  • While recognising that 99.9% of all live albums are crap, there are a few that have stood the test of time for me -

Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal
    Grateful Dead - Live Dead (but it could be any one of many - in their case it was the studio albums that stunk).
    Who - Live at Leeds (even though the second side gets a bit wayward sometimes and the extended re-release ruins the focus of the original)
    I agree with those saying Jimi Hendrix did a load of great live stuff. I prefer it to his studio albums on the whole.
    Van Morrison - Too Late to Stop Now
    Todd Snyder - Storyteller (for the stories as much as the music)

Overrated - 
    Wailers at the Lyceum (each side leads off great but then it gets a bit flabby).
    Allman Brothers at the Fillmore (too long)
    Stones - Ya Yas (best live album they did but there are better versions of everything on their studio albums except Midnight Rambler possibly)
    MC5 - Jams (again leads off well and then gets dull)

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single modern band that has done a good live album, unless Todd Snyder counts.
  • Alchemy!

deffo

:)

• I just remembered one! Another one I have recently transferred from reel-to-reel to MP3 - Robin Trower, not sure what it's called, but it has a fantastic lesson in controlled feedback from the man himself. 
  • I just remembered one! Another one I have recently transferred from reel-to-reel to MP3 - Robin Trower, not sure what it's called, but it has a fantastic lesson in controlled feedback from the man himself. 
    I think you are referring to Robin Trower live, recorded at the Stockholm Concert Hall.1975......In an interview with Guitar Player in May 2006, Trower explained that the band was not aware the show was being taped, thinking they were playing for a radio broadcast only. Hence, he says, "We were loose and uninhibited, and we played one of our best shows."
    Yes had the album, really liked James Dewar and Reg Isadore, now so sadly  passed away,  Did we not see reg at the Beverwood blues club a couple of years ago Saga?..... Him and his brother. Thought it was one of the best concerts up there, and they really went  for it, played with the heart of a man who loved his music, and his energy/skill would put many drummers to shame, less than a quarter of his age. Such gracious  musicians who were probably playing  for little more than beer money, and giving  joy to fellow fans. 
  • blur - live at the budokan
  • Pulse - Pink Floyd (profile piccie from inside album cover)
    Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy
    Unplugged - Nirvana
  • Sponsored links:

• Problem with Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy, which is a great album is the studio enhancements which were done. You have to question if it truly qualifies.
    I think you are referring to Robin Trower live, recorded at the Stockholm Concert Hall.1975......In an interview with Guitar Player in May 2006, Trower explained that the band was not aware the show was being taped, thinking they were playing for a radio broadcast only. Hence, he says, "We were loose and uninhibited, and we played one of our best shows."
    Yes had the album, really liked James Dewar and Reg Isadore, now so sadly  passed away,  Did we not see reg at the Beverwood blues club a couple of years ago Saga?..... Him and his brother. Thought it was one of the best concerts up there, and they really went  for it, played with the heart of a man who loved his music, and his energy/skill would put many drummers to shame, less than a quarter of his age. Such gracious  musicians who were probably playing  for little more than beer money, and giving  joy to fellow fans. 
    Robin Trower Live - I had completely forgotten that one - he was an awesome guitarist.
  • Robin still isBing........
    Here is a schedule of his latest tour.
    For some reason he is not playing any London dates........
    In fact he is playing in Surrey today........ 
  • Dig the new breed - The Jam
    May well have done Ken - terrible memory - I think it helps if you support Charlton. Keep seeing the Beaverwood updates and thinking "I must get along"!
  • Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy

All The Worlds A Stage - Rush

Live at the Albert Hall  - Page & Plant

Made In Japan - Deep Purple

Live at The Lyceum - The Wailers

• Iron Maiden - Live After Death

</discussion>
  • ...Classic period, classic lineup. All their later live stuff suffers as Adrian smith had left and they had Jannick 'useless' Gers!
  • Yeah - but instead of getting shot of him when Smith came back, they did the equivalent of what what a succession of England managers have done with Gerrard and Lampard and leave him in the midfield treading on Murray's toes :)
  • edited September 2011
    Stereophonics - Live from Dakota
  • Sponsored links:

• Some kind of IT problem at work, meant that I could not sign in, whilst this thread has been ongoing. However, there is one live album to me that you can never beat.

Barenaked Ladies - Rock Spectacle:)

Agree too with 101 and Under a Blood Red Sky, Simple Minds Live in the City of Light is pretty good stuff, Head Lights, White Lines, Black Tar Rivers by The Levellers is not all bad, although the Live at Glastonbury bonus CD that accompanies the remastered Levelling The Land tops that (although the "I was there" factor may give it some bias.)

Live Between Us by The Tragically Hip is worth checking out as they are a band that are truly underrated, whilst The Saw Doctors Live in Galway is pretty good. The Beautiful South's BBC Session collection is awesome, particularly the covers of Use It Up and Wear It Out, along with You Should Be Dancing,

Still Rock Spectacle though...:)

• leonard cohen-songs from the road
    misty in roots-live at the counter eurovision
    th ruts live
    dead kennedys - skateboard party
    david byrne-live from austin
  • Runrig at Loch Lomond
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturne_(album)

& "Barenakedladies" - Rock Spectacle (A Classic).
  • Off topic slightly, Sorry, Went to See SATB at The Albert Hall on the Friday, went to Brighton 7 (SEVEN) CAFC 0, then back to The Albert Hall for the 2nd night: Where did I get the energy from.....struggle to get to The Valley nowadays.....