Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• I'm not a theatre goer... the price of a glass of wine puts me off.  But I treated Tavern to tickets to see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest with Christian Slater and his favourite actress Alex Kingston a few years back.

Wow.  I really should go more if thats what I'm missing out on.  I absolutely loved it.

Got a signed poster from that in the bar Bren'. My mate Alex was in it too. He´s in rehersal at the moment for the Batman stage show (playing Commisioner Gordon and The Penguin) Looks spectacular!
  • never thought id ever really like the theatre until i went to see my neices in billy elliot up town.

absolutely blew me away.
    Gary, does your nieces Dad's name begin with 'T'?
    It doesnt mate, no.
    ok, my mate's daughter was in Billy Elliot in the West End. Live locally in SE9. She's also been in Eastenders.....
    Does her uncle's name begin with S?
  • I was sceptical about War Horse, but thought it was brilliant.
  • Go atleast once or twice a year.

Took my daughter to see Shrek the Musical at Drury Lane a few weeks back. Not really my cup of tea but would recommend it for anyone with kids around 6 or 7 years old.

Nigel Harman is very funny as Lord Farquart. He does the whole two hours on his knees!

Ticket prices are crazy now, thankfully we managed to get half price during the month long preview.

• I certainly won't specify what exactly, but even knowing what to expect in War Horse there was one particular moment that made me gasp. I am a bit of a veteran of plays, and it take a lot to impress me (for example despite being a decent show, Woman in Black didn't get to me as it did to the zillions of screamers in the audience) War Horse contained loads of excellent theatrical moments that made it very well worth while despite the slightly predictable nature of the story.

The Globe is a good event, especially if you pay £5 and get in early so you're leaning on the stage. Having said that Romeo and Juliet last year wasn't all that, I inwardly cheered when Juliet died, but Macbeth earlier this year at the Globe was top notch.

• Best I've ever seen at the theatre was Jerusalem ... currently on Broadway where it is again winning awards.

Hope it's back in UK soon ... Mark Rylance is stunning in the lead role.

• The Globe is a good event ..........

Agree with that Seth,The Globe is a great place to go.
  • Went to see Million Dollar Quarter the other week, excellent, although the Elvis role was quite poor (Admittedly I am hyper critical) but the guy who played Jerry Lee Lewis stole the show, Ben Goddard, and he comes from Woolwich apparently.

• War horse brilliant seen it twice
    Saw Betrayl the Pinter play a few weeks ago which was very good

If you are interested in theatre check out audience club costs £25 a year to join but they sell unsold tickets for £2.50 absolute bargain. They are off west end venues but sometimes have tickets for O2, music and comedy and west end absolute bargain
  • Sponsored links:

• The Globe is a good experience but you'll need to bring or hire a cushion - Jersey Boys as was said already is a great show. Well performed fantastic songs coming at you one after the other.
  • Saw Ghost Stories Last week.  Excellent story, funny, clever, recommend.

http://www.ghoststoriestheshow.co.uk//home.php

• War Horse is fantastic but agree with stonemouse that Mark Rylance in Jerusalem is awesome - if he does it again in the autumn (and the Guardian recently suggested he is) I hugely recommend it to everyone even if you have never been to the theatre before. 

Saw Emperor and Galilean at the National week before last, quite good but wouldn't recommend as such. Got Kevin Spacey as Richard III this week.

• stonemuse - sorry about the typo!
  • War Horse is fantastic but agree with stonemouse that Mark Rylance in Jerusalem is awesome - if he does it again in the autumn (and the Guardian recently suggested he is) I hugely recommend it to everyone even if you have never been to the theatre before. 

Saw Emperor and Galilean at the National week before last, quite good but wouldn't recommend as such. Got Kevin Spacey as Richard III this week.

Spacey has got fantastic reviews (though my experience of reviews is to doubt them hugely), when he is onstage you never look at anybody else!
  • stonemuse - sorry about the typo!

LOL ... never noticed at first
  • Betty Blue Eyes not so good
  • Was totally unimpressed with the Gobe. Been twice (standing and sitting) and just don't rate it as a venue. Also it annoys me that there are women in it. Its the Globe, it should be the centre of tradition. And therefore, sorry but no women on stage.

Also seen Shakespere performed to a higher standard elsewhere. It almost felt like as it was the globe it would sell itself and the actors / directors didn't need to bother.

• Anybody been to 'see' Lullaby?

http://www.whatsonstage.com/reviews/theatre/london/E8831309342090/Lullaby.html

I went to see it but it sent me to sleep.
  • Was totally unimpressed with the Gobe. Been twice (standing and sitting) and just don't rate it as a venue. Also it annoys me that there are women in it. Its the Globe, it should be the centre of tradition. And therefore, sorry but no women on stage.

Also seen Shakespere performed to a higher standard elsewhere. It almost felt like as it was the globe it would sell itself and the actors / directors didn't need to bother.

I fully take your point. Seen some rubbish there too, and they are mindful of the tourist trade. Dunno about the women thing though.
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw Mr Tumble at the outdoor theatre at Bluewater on Sunday
  • Saw The Cherry Orchard at the National last Monday. second row from the back, a bit too far away. Zoe Wannamaker was so so as Ranyevskaya, the women characters were standard, but the stand out performance in a lot of strong male performances was the bloke who played Lopakhin.

The overall production was really good, a very high standard of work shown in loads of excellent detail. The translation was better than the Tom Stoppard one too.

• Saw One Man, Two Guvnors a few weeks ago at the National.

I know James Corden isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I was basically crying with laughter for the entire first half. Going again with another group in November.
  • Last night we saw Blithe Spirit outdoors at Hever Castle - great performance and magical atmosphere and it didn't rain
  • edited July 2011

Something I enjoy but do all too rarely.

London is too expensive for a working bloke like me. Exorbitant congestion charges and parking or similarly expensive train, tube or taxi fares and that's before you've even bought tickets to attend the event!

Last thing I saw was Oliver with Griff Rhys Jones as Fagin.

• Saw Ghost the musical at the Piccadilly yesterday. Excellent, very moving, if u liked the film you will love this imho.
  • I'm going to see Ghost on Tuesday for my birthday. My friend is in it, heard some great things about the effects. Also going to see South Pacific at the end of August. 
  • Yes the effects are great (watch out for the train scenes), and the set changes really slick. Thought everyone was excellent so well done to ur friend! You'll have a top birthday!
  • oh and also whilst we're at it, today I got Les Miserables special edition dvd (which I have seen the musical about 5 times) and also The Tales of Beatrix Potter with the Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House on DVD. Saw it live last winter. brilliant costumes. 
    can't wait for Tuesday. I went to dance school with the girl who's in it from 3 till 17 and she made it as a dancer, she's been in a few things (sister act amongst others) but i've never seen her since she was 17 in our dance productions. We're in the stalls, had to make a decision regarding stalls or circle because sometimes its better to be higher up to see the stage layout? 

• Took 7 year old grandson to the open air theatre in Regent's Park a couple of weeks ago for a Sunday morning performance of Shakespeare's " Pericles" which I didn't know existed until I saw the publicity. The play was slightly tweaked and added to for 6+ year olds and was a great experience for the kids.

Bit like an upmarket panto with some interaction for the little 'uns and with actors ( pirates)  wandering around the audience before the opening scene and chatting ( in character) with the kids. At £12 pp it was a brilliant introduction to the Bard for them , in a fun way. Would recommend seeing a production there as it's a unique experience.