Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Amazon Kindle

edited July 2011 in Not Sports Related

Is it worth getting one of these things? 

And do the screens illuminate so you can read in the dark as well as be able to read in direct light? 

And how delicate are they? 

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Best thing i ever bought. It is not an illuminated screen so you need to have a light or a cover with an inbuilt light. I did have a problem when mine packed up after 9 months but Amazon was great and not only replaced my cover ( known problem on first gen covers which caused shorts in the unit) but replaced Kindle FOC. Books all cheaper and many classics free. I use for all books also email work documents on pdfs. I did not get 3g kindle and not really needed as long as you have internet access from home. Only downside - cannot read in the bath but as i do have showers not an issue at all.
  • Cheers kimbo

I've been reading and buying a lot of books in the last few years, the probem is books take up a lot of room and mess does not make you look as intelligent as the books should! 

Can you go online other than wikipedia or amazon bookstore? 

• Now... I wonder what 'other' websites carts is wanting to view.....better invest 2 quid mate on a screen protector and some screen wipes...
  • I don't know what you mean
  • Not sure to be honest if you can download non amazon books - never tried
  • I've been reading and buying a lot of books in the last few years, the probem is books take up a lot of room and mess does not make you look as intelligent as the books should! 

Well, you can always pass them on to a charity shop when you've finished with them, or don't buy them in the first place and use the library?

Seriously, i know the problem. I read quite a bit and was over-flowing with books. Made the decision to go through them all to decide which i might read again in the future and all the others went to the charity shop.
    I've also looked at these kindle's but just feel that, for for they are, it's a lot of money. £110 for the kindle, electricity used to charge it and you still have to purchase the book. So unless anyone here can sway me, i'll just carry on buying the books.
  • They hold their charge for ages - I used mine extensively on holiday and did not charge it in 2 weeks.

The books I have downloaded are also available through the free Kindle app on my I phone.

• The books are not 'all cheaper' - several publishers charge more for the Kindle version than the physical copy which is a bit annoying. It's not a big difference, but just thought I'd point it out in case you were expecting far cheaper books.
  • Surprised you are saying boOks are not all cheaper I have bought 75 books all at least £2-3 cheaper than normal book prices although you cannot get 3/2 offers
  • Surprised you are saying boOks are not all cheaper I have bought 75 books all at least £2-3 cheaper than normal book prices although you cannot get 3/2 offers
    Not that I read them, but Michael Connelly books are all more expensive in Kindle format.

• Sponsored links:

• There are sites where you can download books which are out of copyright for nothing.  I use Gutenberg: http://gutenberg.net.au/ and Freeread http://freeread.com.au/

• I've just noticed all the Game of Thrones books are more expensive as well
  • These things are the work of the devil and should be banished into hell. :-)

My book collection is my pride & joy plus I only buy hardbacks so they look better on a book shelf.

• I would like a Kindle but until such time as range of books available increases substantially and the cost per book decreases at least a bit I will have to stick with the paper version.
  • Its a great device and easier to carry than books.
  • edited July 2011
    Me and the girlfriend both got kindles last week, she got the wifi and I went for the 3G version and tbh if your going to be at home a lot with your own internet I'd save the money and get the wifi.

They are a  brilliant piece of kit, I'm still amazed at how much it looks like a page of a book, they really have got the screen spot on, can read it for hours with no strain on the eyes at all.

As for where to get your books from, not amazon, I'll send you some links on facebook where I've been getting mine, although once they're downloaded it is a little fiddly to get them onto the kindle.
  • Not quite the same is it though................If you are a book lover there is nothing like walking around a "proper" bookshop. In 50 years time will people be looking around a Kindle shop saying "look, a 2011 first edition .....& in mint condition too !! "

Hay on Wye will be decimated in a few years..............

• New ones out later this year. I'd wait.
  • Am i right in thinking you can enlarge the print? This would tick a box for me as my eyesight is steadly getting worse.
  • Kindle is great ... no doubt that I prefer printed books but I travel a lot and this is when the Kindle comes into its own.

Had it now for just over a year and would not be without it.

• Sponsored links:

• Am i right in thinking you can enlarge the print? This would tick a box for me as my eyesight is steadly getting worse.

Yes you can, very simple to do.
  • I'm with Tango. Recently had a massive clear out of books that I'll never read; some I've sold on Amazon, the rest went to the charity shop. But I've still got thousands. And like eaststandmike said, what I've got left are my pride and joy. I'd never, ever, no matter what was offered, sell my Kerouac 1st editions. (That's a poncey way of saying that the Kindle just isn't for me.)
  • Has anyone used the 3G extensively overseas. I understand there's free access in 100 countries but have been told it's only really for a handful of sites, eg. for book downloads. Does the device work well as a general browser, eg looking up Charlton Life? Not too worried about sites with loads of graphics; more for checking emails and a few useful sites on the go.

Cheers

• I've read Charlton Life a few times on my kindle (only in the uk though), it's OK, nothing great though, mainly due to the lack of a colour screen (although the next kindle will have colour I believe)

I still prefer to use my iphone for browsing, as it's quicker and in colour!
  • I am not buying one ...............waiting to find one on the train ...gotta happen

• I've read Charlton Life a few times on my kindle (only in the uk though), it's OK, nothing great though, mainly due to the lack of a colour screen (although the next kindle will have colour I believe)

I still prefer to use my iphone for browsing, as it's quicker and in colour!
    It's also going to be a Samsung I believe
  • Admin cavn you check on carter please someone's stolen his log in, no way is this him posting

Books, kindles and not one mention of pooeyhead club and birds, either that or the boys in lurve
  • Anyone want to buy my kindle? Would prefer to avoid ebay fees etc...

Good condition. Always been kept in a case. Wi-fi & 3g version. like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-3G-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002LVUWFE/ref=amb_link_161274707_4/278-8936165-1402935?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=1WW2YSFFZBVVV76SC251&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=254624767&pf_rd_i=468294

Don't have the original box but will package it up well. Have the original charger.

£120 posted to UK. Could probably move on price a wee bit...

• Amazon have just announced the launch of the new Kindle.  £89.  Out on 12 October.
  • Amazon are really trying to do competitors on price (with this and their new tablet announced), be interesting to see if they can wrestle some market share.