Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interesting theory

edited May 2007 in Rumours
So pardew made a big emphasis on the fact that the board supported him for the Varney deal in his quotes from the OS

now, when it's considered that bent's departure would net us a lot of money (say £15mil minus the ipswich cut for arguments sake), he'd obviously have to get a replacement and £2million is hardly extortionate, would the board have reservations along the lines that pardew is hinting if they were 100% certain they'd get the millions from bent to cushion the blow of relegation and so take the money for Varney out of?

i think you know what i'm hinting here, a bit of reading between the lines may just suggest a glimmer of hope for us

btw, why is our website always garbage - taking a few mins to load per page?

Comments

• Options
    I always thought you have to brown nose your boss or you wont get anywhere.
  • Options
    but it's hardly like pardew needs to is it, he's good, he knows it, the board know it, we know it, he's going to get support come what may, just found it interesting why he would've gone out of his way to specifically praise them and why the board would've haggled over a replacement for potentially an eighth of the bent transfer
  • Options
    really hope you're right, but can't see it. I read it as the board needed convincing as the fee is a lot for a player that hasn't really done it outside of League 1.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]really hope you're right, but can't see it. I read it as the board needed convincing as the fee is a lot for a player that hasn't really done it outside of League 1.

Isn't some of the "untried" risk off set by the structured £2M deal? I.e. It isn't £2M upfront, there are presumably staged payment if agreed points are reached, e.g promotion next season etc?

Pardew's position at Charlton is pretty much as unassailable as any manager could be; but RM, in the Curbs days (apart from the apparent relaxation with Dowie) acted as Director of Football and would have needed to be convinced of the business and footballing case for a particular player. I suspect this role has resumed now Pards is in situ and RM would still need a convincing case for spending that kind of money on an "untried" player. The structured deal thus helps to reduce the risk.
  • Options
    It sounds like the £2M is guaranteed to Crewe with another £0.5M in add-ons.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]It sounds like the £2M is guaranteed to Crewe with another £0.5M in add-ons.

correct
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]It sounds like the £2M is guaranteed to Crewe with another £0.5M in add-ons.

correct

Yeah I saw that after my earlier post.

Pards does like ex Crewe strikers, given that he signed Ashton (Via Norwich).

It is quite a slice of wedge for an untried striker, I suppose others were in for him and they did what they had to get him.

It does now seem likely that they are resigned to losing Darren Bent but I hope not for less than he is worth.
  • Options
    2 million sounds a lot but goalscorers are costly, that's a fact.

I don't mind the fee because he is young enough that if it does not work he can be sold on, unlike Marcus Bent.
  • Options
    How much of that £2m can be recouped though if he flops?
  • Options
    Good question, depends how badly he flops I guess!!!

Ahem, which he won't of course.