Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wind Chimes

A pleasant and soothing sound you enjoy or an unacceptable attack on the rights of everyone who wants to sit in their garden or on their balcony or lie in their bed at night with the windows open and not have their ears assaulted by a tortuous cacophony of unbearable artificial intrusive noise?

Comments

• I prefer them to strimmers, lawn mowers and drills which I consider to be more of an assault to my ears! 
  • I can't edit but add to the list motor bikes which spotty adolescents with L plates seem to take great pleasure in making as loud as possible.
  • I prefer them to strimmers, lawn mowers and drills which I consider to be more of an assault to my ears! 
    But at least you know that noise is likely to stop some time soon.
    But at least you know that noise is likely to stop some time soon.

Fair point I guess but the things I've mentioned are much louder.

I think my attitude to windchimes would depend on my mood at the time. I wouldn't have them personally as frankly I don't really see the point but, as you've probably gathered, I'm a miserable old git!

• One of the worst inventions ever. I am presently engaged in planning an operation to permanently disable a set under my back window 
  • My wind chimes work better after eating cabbage or cauliflower :-)
  • For those nights when the wind doesn't blow and you miss the chimes soothing tones I can recommend a wind chime app for you iPad 2.
  • I hate them.  Unfortunately Mrs Stig loves 'em.
  • Loathsome, pointless things attractive to only those selfish b'stards who don't care whether they keep their neighbours up all effing night...

• I will admit to "liberating" a neighbours chimes about 10 yrs ago. They had them awful bamboo ones hanging from their "feng shui" oriental decking. The bonus was that their other neighbour had mentioned to them a few weeks prior, making him prime suspect. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Well I would rather my neighbour had wind chimes (which only sound when there is any wind) rather than their persistently yapping Jack Russell terrier which barks incessantly.  On one occasion it yapped for over an hour at a newly erected shed.  Proper dogs bark and have done with it.
  • I feel that if I was bothered by wind chimes, they would mysteriously disappear during the night.
  • I feel that if I was bothered by wind chimes, they would mysteriously disappear during the night.
    Exactly what happened to my neighbours wind chimes one night. I can neither confirm nor deny any possible involvement in the disappearance.
  • Well I would rather my neighbour had wind chimes (which only sound when there is any wind) rather than their persistently yapping Jack Russell terrier which barks incessantly.  On one occasion it yapped for over an hour at a newly erected shed.  Proper dogs bark and have done with it.
    Yes, don't dogs ever get a sore throat?!

I'd rather wind chimes than loud music.
  • Now loud music really would be a problem for me. Could even see me with a prison sentence over it. As for wind chimes I suppose there is a time and a place but I just can't think of either at the moment.
  • I love wind chimes , I cant think of a more wonderful way to enhance nature and music . The old fashioned bamboo chimes are still fantastic value and great fun but i have added to my collection the woodstock wind chimes ( Chimes of Polaris in Silver and the 7 stone Chakra Chime ) both provide great entertainment . If you're a beginner I would start of with a mini chime with perhaps a crystal or Jade . My all time favourite though is my 46 inch corinthian in copper vein , an absolute beauty . No better way to pass a summers evening than sitting outside just listening to the chimes chiming away . I have some pictures on my phone of them and also some hand held camera footage if anyone is interested
  • Authentic Charlton FC wind chimes are now available on line in the Valley superstore at only £76-99.

These original red and white  bamboo gifts are hand-crafted by peasants in Woolwich and are guranteed to enhance your enjoyment of a match by tinkling the notes of "Valley Floyd Road, Ill miss coming home etc" in even the lightest of summer breezes.

Delight your friends and surpise your family by dangling your chimes at half time or create a rousing anthem by attaching them to your car aerial for the journey home.

Order now to avoid disappointment at www.cafc.giftsfortossers.com

• Sorry Grumpyaddick, but I think you mean... delight your friends and surprise your family by explaining carefully to the owner exactly where you intend to stuff the wind chimes.
  • Shag

Any chance of you creating a ring tone for mobile phones?  I'm sure that many CL members (see above) would welcome hearing those soothing tones as they cram themselves onto the train en route to work.  Especially if the phone owner is unable to take the call.
  • There are currently 3 different ringtones avaliable on itunes to download , the one I have downloaded is the pleaseant wind chime one . I'm currently in discussion with a well know local company about developing a wind chime app , hopefully available soon for £0.69 .
  • Sponsored links:

• Shag  - an  app would be great  coz you could vary the volume?

• Thats one of the features we're working on mate yes . Dont you just hate it when its not windy ? With the app you dont need to worry about that problem

Says the man with an assortment of juke boxs, and  a marshall stack with and an assortment of electric guitars........I had better not mention the band rehersals?
  •  Come and live in the counry, Len. Our once quiet road is now a main feeder for the M25 and there's also a re-cycling site a couple of miles away that has the contract for the local Council so there are dustcarts and heavy lorries trundling past every few minutes. I dream of wind chimes, mowers and srrimmers: at least you can have a conversation without shouting!  And there's Creepyaddick hurtling past in his taxi from Gatwick, trying to run the cat over! (None of these help when you're trying to flog the place).
  • edited July 2011
    Well I would rather my neighbour had wind chimes (which only sound when there is any wind) rather than their persistently yapping Jack Russell terrier which barks incessantly.  On one occasion it yapped for over an hour at a newly erected shed.  Proper dogs bark and have done with it.

Says the man with an assortment of juke boxs, and  a marshall stack with and an assortment of electric guitars........I had better not mention the band rehersals?
    It's okay when I'm making the loud music, it's not okay when my neighbours do the same (obviously)!
  • Been going mental the last few days
  • Luckily mine can operate in force 10 gales and actually play Valley floyd road when it gets up there
  • Hate them. completely pointless.  I cut my neighbours wind chimes down last year in a fit of rage. They still dont know it was me.

• I admit to owning some chimes and find them quite soothing when i can hear them above the bloody planes of city airport , i am often waving to the pilots on their way over Grrrr ,
  • My next door neighbour has them and I hate the bloody things mind you its a sight better than the crap music they play!