Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

jogging

As most of you are aware I am a fat bstd tonight I decided to do something about it, just went for a 2 mile jog with my super slim fitness fanatic nephew, Jesus Christ I ache all over and I have committed to doing it twice this week and 3 times a week from next, god fecking help me

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Get a bike. You'll loose as much weight and get just as fit.

You'll also keep your knees, ankles and hips and not end up with plastic replacements.
  • As most of you are aware I am a fat bstd tonight I decided to do something about it, just went for a 2 mile jog with my super slim fitness fanatic nephew, Jesus Christ
    That's quite a claim.
  • As most of you are aware I am a fat bstd tonight I decided to do something about it, just went for a 2 mile jog with my super slim fitness fanatic nephew, Jesus Christ I ache all over and I have committed to doing it twice this week and 3 times a week from next, god fecking help me
    My new thing. Really want to do the marathon next year so I ran in a charity 5k race in battersea park last week. Did it in 31.34 and absolutely loved it. First time I've run since ive been at school apart from doing a runner from a curry house. Did the same distance on Saturday morning although I was a minute slower! Some great websites like map my run and walk jog run where you can map routes to exact distances. Have since applied for a place in the marathon and will maintain running twice a week until the really serious stuff begins in October.
  • As most of you are aware I am a fat bstd tonight I decided to do something about it, just went for a 2 mile jog with my super slim fitness fanatic nephew, Jesus Christ I ache all over and I have committed to doing it twice this week and 3 times a week from next, god fecking help me

If you want to lose weight stop eating as much, not nearly so painful and you'll save money.
  • im 17, i can't just jog i get bored to easily.
    so i admire the dedication i'll stick to the equally painful 5-a-side
  • thing is i aint been happy with my weight for ages but got comfy and lazy, i have been working real long hours and feeling knackerd, swo the time is right the hours wont reduce but i can do something about the tiredness, going to give it my best shot, less curry, less beer,

lets see where it goes

• edited July 2011
    clems right. road running, especially for people that are overweight is shocking for your lower joints and back.

bike riding is better and burns more calories in less time, has less effect on your body meaning quicker recovery time and is a lot more fun.

go swimming aswell mate if you have the time.
  • swimming in public with this gut, not a hope mate, i go riding with the kids but BFR is right less calories and more exercise
  • Lay off the aspells mate
  • swimming in public with this gut

You are quite safe, whale hunting has been illegal for several years now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry NLA, swallow your pride instead of that extra pie, and get thee to a swimming pool! Great low impact exercise.
  • edited July 2011
    TBH mate, all you need to do is find out you're daily calorie needs for maintenance of your current body fat levels, then simply subtract 500 calories from that, that is how you lose weight, cardio helps when you want to get really lean, but is not necessary really, all that does is ensures that you stay under maintenance if you get what i'm saying.
      http://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html use this to find out how many calories you need to live, etc then use this equation below to find out how many calories you actually need.If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2, If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375, If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55, If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725, If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9, 
    Simple 
  • clems right. road running, especially for people that are overweight is shocking for your lower joints and back.

bike riding is better and burns more calories in less time, has less effect on your body meaning quicker recovery time and is a lot more fun.

go swimming aswell mate if you have the time.
    Hold up, surely if he goes jogging twice a week he'll lose some weight. Don't put the bloke off. He's only run once!
  • Today was the first day?  you say you ache.........wait and see how you feel tommorow then. You'll find it absolute murder walking down the stairs (up is the easy part). Despite how much you ache, keep at it, it soon goes. I'm also starting running again after getting lazy in mid-life. I used to do 5-7 miles on a daily basis and loved it. And just because you're running with someone who is probably a lot fitter than you, listen to your body, not him. you'll know your limits.
  • he'll lose weight stop shouting but he might feel like shit and it may put him off going regularly. just saying the bike riding is a better all round option. defo not trying to put him off.
  • It depends on how overweight you are are but i wouldn't recommend running. Cycling is without a doubt better option or maybe go to the Gym if you can put up with the extortionate fee's or the wankers that frequent the place  ) . Jogging/Running  hurts and is more likely to cause harm than make you fitter.

• he'll lose weight stop shouting but he might feel like shit and it may put him off going regularly. just saying the bike riding is a better all round option. defo not trying to put him off.
    I know vg just having banter. As I'm new to this jogging game I know I need all the encouragement I can get. When I do something I'm unfamiliar with, if someone says I'm doing it wrong, my confidence is shot to bits. As you say, the bike could be an alternative option.
  • I run two or three times a week to supplement my martial arts training. I find it a great escape from life's worries and stresses.

I used the above website to write a training programme for my wife based around my work shifts. She followed it closely, stuck to it and progressed onto doing 10k runs within 10 to 12 weeks. She didn't have a lot of running experience except when she was at school some years ago. If you stick at it, and get through the first 6 weeks, you can see some real improvements and may start to enjoy it.
  • edited July 2011
    Keep it up, NLA.  This is what a few months' jogging does for you... image
  • jogging is the quickest way to get the job done if you ask me - it's boring but an hour's jogging twice a week and it'll be falling off. It's true that there can be a wear and tear factor but the i reckon you need to spend 3 times the amount of time cycling or swimming to get the same results - and that really is boring - people who train for hours in a pool or on a bike are certainly a different breed - the sheer boredom of training for a marathon or a swimming event would drive me insane - there must be better things to do with your life. Good luck NLA - it's all about getting into a habit of doing it and it has to be sustainable for it to be worthwhile - i.e it just becomes part of life - like going on a crash diet - it's pointlesss if you can't sustain it.
  • Sponsored links:

I know vg just having banter. As I'm new to this jogging game I know I need all the encouragement I can get. When I do something I'm unfamiliar with, if someone says I'm doing it wrong, my confidence is shot to bits. As you say, the bike could be an alternative option.
    I've seen you run. Normally when it's your round.
    ;o)
    Get yourself a GPS watch & a heart rate monitor, log your runs & especially watch your average heart rate progressively drop as you get fitter - that's motivation enough for me!
  • You look thinner in September, Chizz, but you look much happier in the January shot! ;-)
  • I'm sure I read somewhere that you can burn 1000 calories in an hour of jogging. Which is a bigger amount than any other sport, including cycling.
  • edited July 2011
    God help your knees, especially if you're carrying a bit of weight.  Be careful, I know a few people who have wrecked their cartilage by overdoing it with the road running.  Cycling or swimming are far better in this respect.  But if it has to be running, try to remember the following:  You'll do less damage if you wear good trainers, have shock absorbent in-soles, stick to grass rather than tarmac/concrete (except at the height if summer when the hard earth can be just as wearing) and most importantly, don't overdo it!
  • Jogging will definitely burn up fat quicker than cycling or swimming. But as others have said, the risk of injury is much higher and the recovery time may be longer. The most critical thing is to get into a routine. Better to do a little often than make a huge effort early on that you can't sustain. Cycling has an advantage in that respect in that it is often easy to commute to work by bike, which is one of the best ways to fit exercise into your life without too much disruption to lifestyle. 

If you're set on running however, what Stig said is true.
  • Get a bike. You'll loose as much weight and get just as fit.

You'll also keep your knees, ankles and hips and not end up with plastic replacements.

wait till you've done running for a week or so it's likely your highest risk is shin splints for now. If they kick in then look to cycling/swimming.

Low impact gentle jogs are the best place to start and build up from there.
  • NLA, some of the sights I see in the pool, i'm sure you'll be fine

• edited July 2011
    I'm 27 and recently started running as well as have a baby on the way and has made me want to change my unfit lifestyle.

What worries me is that I can barely run 500 meters without being in agony. I know i'm unfit but surely I can't be that unfit! I just run round the local park which is flat but seems to be a lot more hardwork than a treadmill. I bought some running shoes which helps a lot but my lack of any sort of stamina really alarms me.
  • edited July 2011
    I'm 27 and recently started running as well as have a baby on the way and has made me want to change my unfit lifestyle.

What worries me is that I can barely run 500 meters without being in agony. I know i'm unfit but surely I can't be that unfit! I just run round the local park which is flat but seems to be a lot more hardwork than a treadmill. I bought some running shoes which helps a lot but my lack of any sort of stamina really alarms me.
    I'd suggest slowing it down as you're maybe running instead of jogging?  If you're still having the same problem, walk if you have to, get your breath, and pick up again and keep repeating the process. Soon you'll find you're walking less and less. just remember, a gentle walk is better than stopping.

Oh, and another thing i find very important, and that's to regulate your breating, nice, slow, deep breaths, not panting (until you train yourself not to) people tend to breath in time with their steps which speeds the heart-rate, causing tiredness.