Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luke Varney and Ilewumo Signed

My Crewe source has confirmed the deal for Varney has been completed, signing a 4-year contract for £2m (rising to £2.5m with appearances).

So what do we know about the 6ft 25-year old striker ?

Well not a lot, so she pointed me to a couple of posts on a Crewe site. In general, they seem delighted and that we are seriously paying over the top. But then again, Ipswich fans said that about Darren Bent....

'That would be a good return for Luke and good luck to him but he has always seemed very much a confidence player who has yet to prove himself beyond League 1.'

'I think we all know he has the talent but the problem is that he never really shone at championship level. He never broke into the team at the championship level and was often a sub but definately a confidence player. You get him 1 on 1 with a keeper when on form he will score more than miss but out of form he may turn away from goal and pass the buck.
Has he got the assets for 25 a season yes he has...6ft + lightning quick, decent finisher and not bad in the air. Advisable to put him with another finisher and he can build a decent partnership.
I think we would have been happy with £750k if im honest but £2.5m for a 25 year old for no great championship pedigree is interesting to say the least and should pay off some losses.'

With Ilewumo as well, Pardew is making his statement quite clear at an early stage; we will be attacking the Championship with pace and power up front. I'm sure one more striker will be signed this Summer, with my early hunch being Ilewumo will be the third striker used to 'mix it up a bit'.

Whether it is strong enough to deliver automatic promotion (CI scored 18 in Championship, Varney 25 in League 1), we'll have to wait and see....

Comments

• edited May 2007
    If only we could hang on to Darren Bent as well.... would be a strong front foursome with Bent, Dickson, Iwelumo and Varney....
  • Bent is gone as a Ketman knee.

Gonna have to get used to it
  • is anyone excited about these (potential) signings , reality beginning to set in and as for when the fixture list comes out ......
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]is anyone excited about these (potential) signings , reality beginning to set in and as for when the fixture list comes out ......

Good to have you back on form oohaah !! :-)
  • Chris Iwelumo has signed as Jaime Crueton was on SkySports News saying how he understood why he went to Charlton. Can't find nothing official though?
  • I am excited, but I am excited when we sign anyone. People will always find fault with something, if we signed Ronaldinho it'd be oh no not him his hair is far too long he's a woos & does not tackle back.
  • you don't know how much i've been biting my lips recently !!!! ;-)
  • Don't know much about Varney but i'd be interested to see how much Sharp goes for if he leaves Scunthorpe as 2m seems a lot for a league 1 striker. I know Sharp has also yet to prove himself beyond league 1 but he's younger and has scored more goals than Varney. Then again i trust Pards' judgement.
  • i'm excited as these look like players who will score goals, and like afka i think there is one more striker to come in but that will probably be after baby bent leaves. in the next few days you'll get an idea of who's leaving and that will give everyone an idea of who we need next season. People have been moaning for ages about how stale the squad is but it's about to get well and truly freshened up!!!
  • Now on the official site....
  • Sponsored links:

• Wonderful!!! A guy who flopped at Stoke, Brighton and Millwall and a striker Crewe used to warm the bench during their championship days. Just what we need!
  • when a manager says "I'd like to thank the board for backing my judgement on him"

does anyone else take it that some board people weren't sure ?
  • Top work from Pardew, these two, but especially Varney, look like PROPER CHARLTON PLAYERS and not feckin bling bling merchants who were only here for the Premiership cash. We want young and hungry players who are desperate for success and getting players from Colchester and Crewe (and with no disrespect to those clubs) means that they see us as a step up the ladder and will bust a gut for us unlike some of the so-called "big names" that we have signed in recent years.

If Pards can now bring in a midfielder in the Parker/Kinsella mould then we will be on the way to getting this show back on the road again.
  • Pardew is the man. These strikers are good enough for NOW. And that is all we need for this season.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]when a manager says "I'd like to thank the board for backing my judgement on him"

price wise is probably where they were questioning him, seems a bit lumpy to me
  • [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Wonderful!!! A guy who flopped at Stoke, Brighton and Millwall and a striker Crewe used to warm the bench during their championship days. Just what we need!

oohaahmortimer?????
  • Good - now we just need a good experienced keeper and a Mark 2 Kinsella
  • edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]when a manager says "I'd like to thank the board for backing my judgement on him"

I take it to mean that although we've already spent the transfer budget for this coming season the Board have nevertheless decided to back Pardew's (and perhaps Parky re the Colchester lad) choices.

If there were any reservations they would be financial rather than questioning the choice of player(s) IMHO.
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Wonderful!!! A guy who flopped at Stoke, Brighton and Millwall and a striker Crewe used to warm the bench during their championship days. Just what we need!

oohaahmortimer?????
    lol ..... i like where cunning is coming from;-(
  • These are shocking signings. Would rather have Marcus and JFH up front. Sorry Pards. I'm losing faith!
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]These are shocking signings. Would rather have Marcus and JFH up front. Sorry Pards. I'm losing faith![/quote]

That has got to be a joke. Attitude alone would make me play the two new blokes ahead of those two tossers any day of the week.

I can really see Marcus Bent and JFH busting their balls for us on a Wednesday night at Scunthorpe next season.
  • [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]These are shocking signings. Would rather have Marcus and JFH up front. Sorry Pards. I'm losing faith!

Are you Golfie in disguise? :-)
  • loving the sarcasm (i hope)
  • No. But I can see JFH and Marcus scoring on a wednesday night in Scunthorpe (a brace if you count the night clubs afterwards).

Whats the big thing about attitudes? I'd rather a player who can bang in 30 goals a season playing like he doesn't care than a striker who busts his balls but can't hit a cows backside with a Banjo.
  • Iwelumo on a free is decent business he cost sod all so have nothing to lose. He scored 18 goals for colchester so obviously knows where the goal is at that level.

Varney is ok - he didn't set the CCC alight but then Crewe were a struggling team whereas we won't be. Could be another Andy Hunt.

Cunning Stunt - players at the CCC level flop at clubs it happens mate - he and cureton were the mutts nuts last season so you can't use that example IMHO. If he was 2 bob at colchester then fair enough but he's been tops for them for 2 seasons now.
  • [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]These are shocking signings. Would rather have Marcus and JFH up front. Sorry Pards. I'm losing faith!

Got to be a wind up!!
  • Good signings I think..

hese guys will be looking at us as a step up and a real chance for them to do something play with some he=igher end players, and will be 'hungry, but might not be angry'

good start I think
  • [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]
    Whats the big thing about attitudes? I'd rather a player who can bang in 30 goals a season playing like he doesn't care

I can't think of a single example of a player who doesn't care yet does this. Neither of the two berks you mention would stay fit enough to play enough games to score half those, yet would be earning 3-4 times the wages in the process.

You're really not being realistic
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]No. But I can see JFH and Marcus scoring on a wednesday night in Scunthorpe (a brace if you count the night clubs afterwards).

Whats the big thing about attitudes? I'd rather a player who can bang in 30 goals a season playing like he doesn't care than a striker who busts his balls but can't hit a cows backside with a Banjo.[/quote]

This has got to be a wind up. Just in case its not, the "big thing about attitudes" is that attitude defines everything about a team, a couple of players with bad attitudes poison the whole team, particularly when the ego merchants (Marcus, Jerome etc) have very little to be arrogant about.

Our GREAT sides of 98-04 were all blessed with players with brilliant attitudes (Kiely, Rufus, Powell, Brown, Robinson, Kinsella, Parker, Di Canio and more recently Darren Bent). Talent will only take you so far, the rest is about squeezing every last drop of your ability and effort out for the team which is something that separates the truly great players out from those who merely think they are great.

And if you think either Hasselbaink at 35 or a nightclub loving Marcus Bent is ever going to score 30 goals in the CCC then you really need help, they scored THREE league goals between them in the Prem last season.
  • Ledge - £2m though on Varney? Why weren't we after Sharp or Eastwood for a similar amount?

AFKA - Henry at Arsenal? How often does he look lazy on the pitch then bang in 30 goals a season? Marcus is a Championship striker. Thats his level. We're taking a punt on 2 league 1 strikers hoping they may run around alot and look like they're trying?